Ontario seeks auto expert to explain obvious: High labour, hydro push jobs south

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ontario’s premier has a penchant for appointing committees. Kathleen Wynne is big on committees. Whenever an issue comes up on which the premier feels she needs a greater understanding, she sets up a committee. It’s easy to mock, but at least it’s an acknowledgement that the government doesn’t feel it already has all the answers.

Her latest outreach isn’t for a committee per se, but for an expert. A committee of one. This expert needs to know about the auto industry. Not just the stuff everyone reads in the papers, but someone with insider knowledge and a keen grasp of the industry’s direction. As Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid put it: “We want global intelligence to determine, for instance, what are the next five or 10 mandates that are going to take place globally over the next five or 10 years … What we’ve lacked in the past has been sector knowledge that you probably can’t get from the government that you need to get from the sector itself.”

Ontario seeks auto expert to explain obvious: High labour, hydro costs pushing jobs south | Blazing Cat Fur

Kelly McParland: Ontario seeks an auto expert to explain the obvious | National Post

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Ok Loc, I get it.

You posted this cause you specifically want me to reach out to Mr Wynne and take on the role of 'auto expert' (after all, I have owned a number of cars).

Consider it done, you can rest assured that I will tell her of the many industry secret plans (unproveable of course) and maybe she can craft policy to accommodate them.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
that's quite the source you link to Locutus... the article's comments are peppered with Dyke, strapon, strapee and strapor references! Do those comments reflect on the author being married to "5 Feet of Fury"? :mrgreen:

speaking of the obvious, speaking of the federal Crown Corp: Export Development Canada announced a $526 million loan to Volkswagen to help them "grow their operations in North America" -- by building factories and creating jobs in Mexico (where jobs in the auto sector pay even less than the Canadian and American minimum wage), as well as in right-to-work states in the American south with loose labour laws and low wages.

You call this an auto strategy?
Even if a Canadian supplier wins a Volkswagen contract, it’s unlikely the work would occur in Canada. Canadian parts suppliers have opened dozens of factories in Mexico and the Deep South – often required to locate near assembly plants. But EDC doesn’t mind: Helping Canadian-owned firms open plants in Mexico is part of its strategy.
Meanwhile, back home in Germany, Volkswagen is 20-per-cent state-owned, and benefits from various public technology, training and capital supports. German wages are significantly higher than Canada’s, yet Volkswagen hasn’t closed a German factory in decades.

Ottawa could try the same thing. Instead, it sold off its General Motors shares this month (for the short-term gain of balancing its budget). It has a fund to entice auto investment to Canada, but can’t seem to spend it (auto makers don’t like its unwieldy rules, and they’re infatuated with Mexico anyway). We could use other government levers (including EDC) to attract auto makers here. Instead, Ottawa signs more trade agreements with places (such as Korea) that have no more interest in Canadian cars than Mexico does.

The fatalism of EDC’s strategy is stunning. But the incoherence of Canada’s overall auto strategy is even worse.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Irrelevant tripe from drywaldo.

help them "grow their operations in North America" -- by building factories and creating jobs in Mexico
There are no auto factories in North America. There are only assembly facilities that source the parts to assemble world wide.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Did you copy and paste that before reading too?

was your scintillating syntactical shytehouse distinction between an "auto factory" and an "assembly facility"... actually relevant... to anything? To anything other than you're nothing but a degenerate POS?

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
It's quite the conundrum. Anything good that happens must be the benevolent Lieberals in Ontario. Bad must be Harper.

did the OP and following comment speak to that? Really? Apparently, my reference to the federal EDC action has helped your preconceived notion - you're welcome!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
was your scintillating syntactical shytehouse distinction between an "auto factory" and an "assembly facility"... actually relevant... to anything? To anything other than you're nothing but a degenerate POS?

Of course ya dumbass halfwit. Canada has more people employed in making parts than assembly.

I can't believe how f-cking stupid you are.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Of course ya dumbass halfwit. Canada has more people employed in making parts than assembly.

I can't believe how f-cking stupid you are.

speaking of YOU, the dumbass f-cking stoopid halfwit YOU ARE:
Mexico produced 3.4 million vehicles last year, worth $100-billion. Canada exported $484-million in parts to Mexico last year – and our exports are shrinking (down 30 per cent since 2001). Each dollar of Mexican output now has less than one half-cent of Canadian content. Our auto deficit with Mexico exceeded $10-billion last year; our total deficit with Mexico was $23-billion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you saying we shouldn't make parts for VW?

Exports...what was domestic use?

Cut paste and never think. Shame on you.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009

strange that you would single me out... given I'm simply responding in kind! :mrgreen: oh wait... are you back to being one of the clubhouseBROs again? Damn, that's quite the moderator's balancing act you struggle with, hey?

Visibly crazy and they say it's an invisible disease. Malarkey!

double f-uck you!

Even if a Canadian supplier wins a Volkswagen contract, it’s unlikely the work would occur in Canada. Canadian parts suppliers have opened dozens of factories in Mexico and the Deep South – often required to locate near assembly plants. But EDC doesn’t mind: Helping Canadian-owned firms open plants in Mexico is part of its strategy.
Are you saying we shouldn't make parts for VW? Exports...what was domestic use?

Cut paste and never think. Shame on you

you should actually try to read... then attempt to comprehend... the linked sources, before you mouth off and expose and reinforce your blustering idiocy!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
strange that you would single me out... given I'm simply responding in kind! :mrgreen: oh wait... are you back to being one of the clubhouseBROs again? Damn, that's quite the moderator's balancing act you struggle with, hey?

double f-uck you!

you should actually try to read... then attempt to comprehend... the linked sources, before you mouth off and expose and reinforce your blustering idiocy!