Marijuana Store Crackdown by City of Vancouver

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
This is such a joke on so many levels but I knew this was coming it had to-some scumbags landlords will shed a tear or two though of that I'm sure

Vancouver's booming marijuana retailers could face new regulations
$30,000 licensing fee, mandatory distancing requirements proposed for city's medical marijuana shops

Marijuana is weighed at The Dispensary, a medical marijuana dispensary, in Vancouver, Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2015

The City of Vancouver is looking at new rules to regulate the booming retail marijuana business, including a $30,000 licensing fee to help recover the cost of enforcement.

"In the last two years, the city has seen a rapid growth rate of 100 per cent per year in marijuana-related businesses ... [going] from 60 to 80 in the last four months alone," said a statement issued by the city.

While medical marijuana shops have become commonplace in Vancouver in recent years, there is little in the way of regulations to control them, the statement notes.

"Up to now there has been a lack of a clear and transparent regulatory framework from the federal government," said the statement.

"While the city has no jurisdiction to regulate the sale of marijuana, it does have clear jurisdiction to regulate how and where businesses operate in our city."

The proposed regulations include:

300 metre distancing from schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses and other marijuana-related businesses.
A licensing fee of $30,000 to recover costs paid by the City to manage and enforce new regulatory framework
Operators to sign a mandatory Good Neighbour Agreement.
Operators to require a development permit which would include a standard community notification process.
Geographic restrictions specific to areas in the city, limiting businesses to commercial areas.
Applicants will be required to go through a three-stage review process, including point-based evaluation criteria, in order to obtain a business licence.
The proposal is expected to be presented by city staff to councillors next week, and public hearings on the issue are expected.

Earlier this week marijuana supporters came under fire after the annual 4/20 pot rally downtown forced police to close several major streets during the afternoon rush hour.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Someone think of the children! Canadian Federal Health Minister on Vancouver's marijuana dispensaries.

If it were not for those court decisions then, the Federal Government would not allow people who want to use marijuana for medicinal use, you would not allow that period?

No, Health Canada would definitely not in any way have anything to do with this. What the research and science shows conclusively is that marijuana is bad for kids, especially harmful to the developing brain.

For the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of users of marijuana in Canada who say that they use it for medicinal purposes, that it provides relief not found with other drugs, are they making that up?

It's not for me to say. I'm not a researcher. I'm not a scientist. My real focus is kids. One of the reasons I have appealed to the Mayor of Vancouver to shut down these storefronts is that I think it sends a bad message to our youth...by having marijuana being sold in storefronts is a terrible signal to young people.

The groups that support legalization or decriminalization all say it's time to control marijuana, to regulate it, to tax it, to legalize it in one way or another. Why not heed the advice of all of these organizations?

Our government stance is clear, we do not support legalization. I would not support a Justin Trudeau Canada, where what's happening in downtown Vancouver [is repeated elsewhere] where pot dispensaries are opening up on corners. They are not regulated. Pot is illegal right now, unless you are through the medical marijuana program of Health Canada.

How much money is spent on enforcement of marijuana laws across the country every year?
I can't tell you that. I don't know. All I know is that marijuana is very, very harmful to youth...

Canada's health minister says dispensaries normalize marijuana use - British Columbia - CBC News

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
B u l l s h I t , big play for the "base". Not a researcher, not a scientist doesn't have to be, just has to do what she's told and stay on script.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
if they were really concerned about kids then they'd stop driving further and further into debt the ones who aren't even born yet.

it's the fvcked up world they are leaving to them, more than anything else, that will make them resort to the myriad of drugs available, marijuana being the least harmful among them.