PC blunder over Highway 407 looms over Liberals on Hydro

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
PC blunder over Highway 407 looms over Liberals on Hydro

Built at taxpayer expense for about $1.5 billion, the 407 was handed over to the new private operators for an unconscionably...

If you build it, they will come. And pay the toll.

When Highway 407 opened in 1997, drivers not only came, they kept coming back — transforming the toll road into a short-lived success story.

Two years later, the storyline changed: The PC government of the day took an abrupt detour by brokering a 99-year lease of the highway for a fraction of its true value.

If you sell it — and undervalue it — they will profit. At our expense.

The 407 deal is now considered a financial blunder on a par with Newfoundland’s lease of Churchill Falls to Quebec, and China’s surrender of Hong Kong to Britain, for equally ill-fated 99-year leases.

As today’s Liberal government ponders selling off part of Hydro One’s transmission lines, after more than a century of public ownership, the 407 debacle looms over the debate. Unless we learn the lessons of that fiasco, we are condemned to be fleeced once again.

If the toll highway hadn’t been handed off for a pittance in 1999, it could have been paid off by now. Imagine driving free on the 407, instead of being hit up for steadily increasing tolls that have flowed to the consortium’s overseas owners for years.

Better yet, imagine a government with the spine and sagacity to raise tolls to what the market would bear — as the consortium did, but as no politician seems willing to try — and then used those windfall profits to bankroll the infrastructure spending this province so badly needs. If those revenues had flowed all this time to the public treasury, the financial pressure to privatize Hydro One would be less intense today.

Built at taxpayer expense for about $1.5 billion, the 407 was handed over to the new private operators for an unconscionably low $3.1 billion. In a classic example of short-term calculations versus long term stewardship of a public asset, the Tories declared a $1.6 billion “profit” from the sale to meet their politically-inspired deficit targets.

It was a monumental miscalculation: A 6 per cent share in the consortium that had originally been valued at $45 million in 1999 attracted a price four times higher by 2002 — prompting independent financial analysts to argue that the lease was worth more than $12 billion all along.

In their privatization frenzy, the PC government left $9 billion on the table — and tens of billions more to be harvested from higher tolls in future. That’s a lot of billion-dollar-boondoggles rolled into one toll road.

When an NDP government proposed the highway in the early 1990s, they estimated it would pay for itself in 30 years with only modest increases in tolls. At the time of the lease, then-PC premier Mike Harris vowed that the private operator could not raise tolls by more than 3 cents a kilometre through 2014 — a 30 per cent cap. Instead, those tolls have increased more than 300 per cent — from about 10 cents a kilometre in 1999 to more than 30 cents today.

Over the years, the 407 consortium has invested in widening the highway, but it has been handsomely rewarded. In 2014, the consortium earned a profit of $222.9 million on gross revenues of $887.6 million. Little wonder the consortium — now owned by Cintra Infraestructuras Internacional, the CPP Investment Board, and SNC-Lavalin — boosted its dividend to shareholders by 75 per cent last year.

All these years later, with the 407 taking away so much money, what are the takeaways for public policy?

One lesson is that governments will be held to account long after the deal is done, and any blunders will have a lasting impact on our political discourse: The seeming unfairness of rapid toll hikes — however commercially justified or environmentally sound — have soured Ontarians on the merits of road pricing. That’s unfortunate, because road tolls are a vital tool for fighting congestion provided there’s an honest broker, not a private profiteer, collecting the cash.

Another lesson is that the 407 debacle has made Ontarians more leery of privatization. Even the Tories had second thoughts about selling off Hydro One.

Now the Liberals seem ready to pick up where the PCs left off. If there is a case to be made for reducing the government’s role in the strategic electricity sector, it had better be a good one — better than the last one.

If you bungle it, they will remember.

$41: the approximate cost to drive the 407 from Burlington to Pickering during rush hour.

$3.1 billion: price province received for selling the highway in 1999

$887.6 million: revenues earned by 407 International Inc. for 2014

$6.5 billion: revenues earned by Hydro One last year

http://m.mississauga.com/opinion-st...ighway-407-looms-over-liberals-on-hydro-cohn/

$12.5 billion: Queen’s Park’s budget deficit

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
There is a deeper rooted problem under all of this. You're looking at the surface.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's funny how the Op/Ed piece is more about pwning the PC's than about the even more idiotic plan to sell off parts of a utilities delivery infrastructure.

I dare say it's comparing apples to ovens.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I dare say it's comparing apples to ovens.

Whatever it takes to try to look good eh? Lol.

What would be nice, aside from successive governments of all stripes continually wasting money, would be if people would stop ignoring the hideous behaviour of one party simply because "they don't like the other guy".

Yeah, I know, might as well wish for unicorns.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Selling off utility infrastructure, whole or in part, is absolutely the height of stupidity. Regardless of what party does it.

Utilities such as hydro and NG, should be non profit, self supporting Crown corporations.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Selling off utility infrastructure, whole or in part, is absolutely the height of stupidity. Regardless of what party does it.

Utilities such as hydro and NG, should be non profit, self supporting Crown corporations.

Absolutely! They should be selling off the Beer Store and LCBO is what they should be selling. NOT public utilities, FFS!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Absolutely! They should be selling off the Beer Store and LCBO is what they should be selling. NOT public utilities, FFS!
Oh but now you're getting into the morals fan club, we can't have private beer and spirits sales in Ontario. That would be blasphemous!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh but now you're getting into the morals fan club, we can't have private beer and spirits sales in Ontario. That would be blasphemous!

Oh would this be the same morals fan club that ignores the waste on their side of the political spectrum and focuses solely on the other side of the political spectrum? Yeah, because that's a group where I'm concerned about what they think. :roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Won't someone please think of the children!!!

Apparently only unionised workers are capable of selling beer and spirits to the GP. Lest we be inundated with drunkards, underage debauchery, and rampant violence towards women!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Won't someone please think of the children!!!

I am.I don't want my kids to have to pay $3000 monthly hydro bills.

Apparently only unionised workers are capable of selling beer and spirits to the GP. Lest we be inundated with drunkards, underage debauchery, and rampant violence towards women!!!

Yeah cuz that never happens now.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Gubmint has the wonderful opportunity to roll all kinds of costs into these large business' whenever they need to find a convenient funding source and don't forget that they are a wonderful mechanism to reward loyal Party supporters with cushy, well paid jobs.

I can't help but think that it is the equivalent of letting a toddler play with a hammer in a china shop

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think those are the only things that make a decent profit...

clowns, all of them,

they don't run their private businesses the way they run our government...hell no, if any employee working for them did what they do, they would fire them

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
and never mind that silly sississauga gas plant stinker with the 1,000 million dollar contract cancellation fee.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
and never mind that silly sississauga gas plant stinker with the 1,000 million dollar contract cancellation fee.
Never heard of that.

But the PC's sold the 407 for a couple beads and trade cloth. That's still big news.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
If anyone thinks anything in relationship to hydro plays fair in the world of politics has rocks in his or her head.
this sector is so powerful beyond belief,
this sector plays by its own rules,public interest is not one of them,generating money is,and safety is totally out.
i always had a fantasy I would like to play in the world of electricity,or more so employed in a high ranking position of electricity,I am sure this is where I could learn to be a greedy do gooder,this industry was my first introduction to information design and application.

I hit the jackpot when I stumbled on the Alberta electricity market,I was fortunate enough to follow through the changing market of electricity structure,I travelled to far away places and learnt about their electriciity markets,my entrance into information audiiting of the electricity market world made me grow up quickly in the world of politics.Humble beginnings but true.