John Ivison on Trudeau's top pick for finance minister

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
John Ivison: Executive tipped as Trudeau’s pick for Finance would target wealthy to boost middle class

As mentioned in this space yesterday, the Conservative government’s best-laid jobs, growth and long-term prosperity plan has gone awry, threatening to leave nothing but grief and pain, instead of promised joy.

The oil-price collapse means we are likely to enter a general election campaign at a time of rising unemployment.

That creates opportunities for the opposition parties, but they both have work to do to convince Canadians they would be more effective stewards of the economy than the Tories.

Justin Trudeau’s challenge is to persuade voters he is not too callow to run a Group of Seven economy.

As part of that effort, he has recruited several experienced candidates with rich backgrounds in the private sector to bolster his economic team.

The man some are tagging as the finance minister in any Trudeau government is Bill Morneau, chairman of Canada’s largest human resources firm, Morneau Shepell.

He is running in the riding of Toronto Centre, where he can expect a stiff challenge from New Democratic Party candidate, Linda McQuaig, who lost by just 4,554 votes to Chrystia Freeland in a byelection 16 months ago, after Bob Rae retired from politics. (Ms. Freeland is moving to a neighbouring riding.)

Even if he falls at the first hurdle, the former C.D. Howe Institute head has already made his mark on the policies we are likely to see being rolled out in the Liberal platform.

In an interview over beer and beef tips, the 52-year-old father of four, who earned $1-million last year, proved he is a quick learner in the art of political obfuscation, cautious about revealing too much.

But my distinct impression is a Liberal government with Mr. Morneau as finance minister would do the following: increase taxes for those in the upper brackets, redistributing that money to middle-income earners; means-test benefits such as the universal child-care credit; introduce tough emission caps on provinces, while letting them devise their own climate change policies; turn on the spending taps to try to kick start economic growth by investing billions in public infrastructure, even if it meant sliding back into deficit; and be far more interventionist in education, training and business subsidies.

To start, I asked whether the Liberals would actively redistribute wealth, perhaps as a means of sparking growth.

“It’s fair to say that people in the middle class are more likely to consume extra dollars than higher-income groups. What we will do on purpose is to make sure we’re not introducing tax policies that actively advantage people who are already doing well. The obvious target is the Conservative income-splitting plan — our work suggests only 13% of people benefit and it’s the part of the population that has no need for it,” he said.

“Our goal will be to find ways to help the middle class.”

I suggested this sounded as if those in upper-income brackets would see taxes rise under a Liberal government, while middle-income earners would benefit.

“Our sweet spot is trying to find a way to make sure we can deal with tax appropriately for those in the middle class,” he said.

‘What we will do on purpose is to make sure we’re not introducing tax policies that actively advantage people who are already doing well’

“As we figure out how to do that, we have a huge advantage in that the Conservatives have decided they’re going to spend an enormous amount on the wealthy. We’re not going to spend that money. That’s a very good starting point and so, it doesn’t lead me to your conclusion that we’ll have to do more redistribution.”

Mr. Morneau suggested a Liberal government would like to clear up a tax code riddled with politically motivated credits, “but we’re going to have to make sure we don’t have an impact on people that is unexpected or difficult.”

However, he said he would personally like to see the Conservative universal child-care benefit means-tested. “The challenge with that tax credit is, obviously, that it’s given to everyone in the population, irrespective of income. I would say that, as someone who has been in successful in business, that it’s a tax credit that’s not appropriately spent on me.”

Mr. Morneau was scathing about the Harper government’s failure to buck global trends in areas like underemployment. “To say they’ve created an economy that’s resilient is a real stretch. We’ve not only done better in the past, we’ll be prudent and pragmatic in the future,”

When I asked what the Liberals would do differently in government, he talked about “significant investments” in infrastructure, such as transit and housing. He also said a Liberal government would have adopted climate change policies that would have helped ensure pipeline projects like Keystone XL were approved.

“It seems to me that, had we worked [with the provinces] on a plan over the last nine years, we would have had a significantly greater chance at talking to our neighbour to the south and convincing them of our willingness to consider climate change. The possibility of helping people in Alberta get their product to market would have been greatly enhanced,” he said.

A Liberal government would be “collaborative” in working with the provinces in setting emission targets that are “meaningful,” he said. “I think we’re much less likely to dictate than negotiate, the end result being targets that are impactful and attainable by whatever methodology provinces want.”

If he makes it to Ottawa, Mr. Morneau will bring strong credentials and private-sector credibility. Conservative zealots will predict a zombie apocalypse under a Trudeau government. The reality is nothing terribly dramatic ever happens in Canadian politics. The policies described by Mr. Morneau suggest if voters do back Mr. Trudeau, they will swap a moderately right of centre government for a moderately left of centre alternative.

National Post

• Email: jivison@nationalpost.com | Twitter: IvisonJ

John Ivison: Executive tipped as Trudeau’s pick for Finance would target wealthy to boost middle class

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The 2008 financial crisis already did damage that is still offsetting the proposed benefits to manufacturing from the Dutch disease relationship.

Of course, if Harper hadn't put all his eggs into supporting oil, this wouldn't be the case.

That is why the feds have been helping out the manufacturing sector since oil took a nose dive.

Too little too late.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What did Harper do to support oil?

Further, if the mfg sector was so gutted by virtue of poor provincial legislation and policy, exactly what could have Harper done to combat the crappy provincial policies that damned that sector?

If mfg and export were competitive to begin with, they would have to perpetually rely on some form of gubmint handout just to exist

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Theoretically, the low price of oil should give a boost to Ontario’s manufacturing sector. In practice, that hasn’t happened.

The reason? The slump that began in 2008 was so persistent that much of the province’s manufacturing capacity either shut down or moved away.

As a result, recovery is not just a question of restarting stalled assembly lines. New factories will have to be built, a process that, at the very least, takes time.

The slump in world commodity prices is not Harper’s fault. Canadian governments don’t set the world price for oil.

However, the blame for Canada’s economy being so dependent on oil and commodities can, in part, be laid at Ottawa’s feet.

Oil has been this government’s big idea. It gave its full backing to massive pipeline projects such as the Keystone XL or the Northern Gateway in order to get Canadian oil to market.

It gutted environmental regulations in the name of oil. It dragged its feet on climate change so as to not discomfit oil.

Its free trade policies, such as the Canada-European Union pact are not designed to encourage domestic manufacturing. Rather they are aimed at expanding markets for raw materials and semi-processed goods like pork.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-walkom.html?referrer=https://news.google.ca/

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Theoretically, the low price of oil should give a boost to Ontario’s manufacturing sector. In practice, that hasn’t happened.

The reason? The slump that began in 2008 was so persistent that much of the province’s manufacturing capacity either shut down or moved away.

As a result, recovery is not just a question of restarting stalled assembly lines. New factories will have to be built, a process that, at the very least, takes time.

Manufacturing plants left due to predatory provincial taxes and policy, nothing to do with the Feds.

Set aside your partisan bias and put the blame where it belongs

The slump in world commodity prices is not Harper’s fault. Canadian governments don’t set the world price for oil.

However, the blame for Canada’s economy being so dependent on oil and commodities can, in part, be laid at Ottawa’s feet.

A remarkably misleading statement... Canada was generating huge revenues from oil due to the domestic sector being strong only after years of private investment and the commodity price being favorable.

This in itself has nothing to do with the local economies outside the oil producing jurisdictions, that said, if outside areas decided to not develop their economies and/or resources, it is hardly the fault of the Feds or the oil industry, unless you wish to assess blame at the Equalization system that makes it easier to do nothing.

Oil has been this government’s big idea. It gave its full backing to massive pipeline projects such as the Keystone XL or the Northern Gateway in order to get Canadian oil to market.

It gutted environmental regulations in the name of oil. It dragged its feet on climate change so as to not discomfit oil.

A wee, tiny factoid that may undermine the above statement... KXL is a proposal in another nation and Northern Gateway is not been approved by the Feds yet... Backing a project in principle is a far cry from "full backing to massive pipeline projects".

All the same, that action is still no explanation for why other national industrial sector have foundered in the past decades which takes us back to analyzing the individual provincial policies that drove the mfg sector away.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
A wee, tiny factoid that may undermine the above statement... KXL is a proposal in another nation and Northern Gateway is not been approved by the Feds yet... Backing a project in principle is a far cry from "full backing to massive pipeline projects".

Northern Gateway was approved by the feds.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For the most part the Libs and the Tories are pretty much the same.
The NDP has moved to the center for the most part as everyone is
playing to the middle class and seniors.
Not everything the Tories did was a bad thing however when 2008
was over they stayed in crisis mode and as such have done more
harm than good. Three choices Libs NDP or spoil the ballot I will not
vote Conservative this time.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
[/I]

Northern Gateway was approved by the feds.

And planned under Martin.

After visiting China for the first time in 2009, in 2010 Prime Minister Stephen Harper reaffirmed the “strategic partnership” established under Prime Minister Paul Martin Jr. in 2005 that he had avoided since assuming office in 2006 (PMO 2010; Jiang 2011). The Government of Canada has moved to facilitate and encourage projects aimed at energy exports to Asia, and further, announced its intention to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership endorsed by the US (Dawson, 2012; Geist 2012). Canada has yet to respond positively to a Chinese offer to begin negotiations on a Free Trade Agreement,and has only belatedly and quietly ratified a Foreign Investment Protection Agreement (FIPA) that was a Canadian initiative hailed by the PM and signed in 2012 (Simpson, 2013; Metro, 2013).

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
For the most part the Libs and the Tories are pretty much the same.
The NDP has moved to the center for the most part as everyone is
playing to the middle class and seniors.
Not everything the Tories did was a bad thing however when 2008
was over they stayed in crisis mode and as such have done more
harm than good. Three choices Libs NDP or spoil the ballot I will not
vote Conservative this time.

I have strong feelings against voting apathy.

In my opinion, not voting is a vote for the status quo and/or whatever the status quo might become.

Therefore, I also have a problem with spoiling a vote, because I've never been convinced that there is no affect to not voting.

Nevertheless, I can appreciate the statement that people are trying to make by spoiling their ballot. Too bad, there can't be a separate box where we can bitch, complain, and tell them all that they are morons.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He's a puppet.

Read!!!!

Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All Harper?

The Foundation was created as part of the Canadian government’s growing interest in relations with Asia under the administrations of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. Its inception in 1984 was led by the Department of External Affairs, and was specifically proposed by the director general of the Department’s Asian and Pacific bureau, Tom Delworth. At the time the Department was headed by Secretary of State for External Affairs Joe Clark. Soon after, Vancouver businessman John Bruk was commissioned by the Department to undertake a study of the proposal. His report was accepted and became the basis for the founding Act. Bruk became the founding Chairman. The founders aimed to create an independent source of thought on Canada’s trade, investment and political relations with Asia. This came amidst the growing perception of Canada as a Pacific country, compared with its relations being conducted primarily by the Eastern provijnces across the Atlantic.[3] As a result it was mandated that the Foundation’s primary office should always be in Vancouver, British Columbia as to promote relations with Asia across the Pacific.[4] This idea was the premise for the creation of the Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative, whose mission is to establish Canada’s Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor as the best transportation network facilitating global supply chains between North America and Asia.

31 years later....

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm glad you think this deflects any responsibility from Harper.

Good for you.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Harper's advocacy for the industry has backfired. Enbridge must be begging the Reform party "Please...stop trying to help us." :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm glad you think this deflects any responsibility from Harper.

Good for you.

Did Harper sign the $100+ bbl deal with OPEC? Yes? No?

Harper's advocacy for the industry has backfired. Enbridge must be begging the Reform party "Please...stop trying to help us." :lol:

All a Liberal plan carried forward.

The Liberal guy in charge of the AP Energy Corridor (Northern Gateway) under Martin......

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/no-rules-broken-in-emerson-affair-watchdog-1.587184

Dumb f-cks! You're just going to get more of the same.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Did Harper sign the $100+ bbl deal with OPEC? Yes? No?

All a Liberal plan carried forward.

The Liberal guy in charge of the AP Energy Corridor (Northern Gateway) under Martin......

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/no-rules-broken-in-emerson-affair-watchdog-1.587184

Dumb f-cks! You're just going to get more of the same.

Yes I imagine we will. Still a good idea to change the ones at the top as frequently as possible though, in my opinion. Emerson was a Conservative I believe.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Emerson was the Liberal under Martin heading up the Asia Pacific Gateway and ENERGY (pipeline) Corridor. Because of it being his puppy under Martin, Harper offered him the same job as a Conservative. The APG and APG Corridor to move mass amounts of oil goes all the way back to PE Trudeau. Energy was put first and foremost when Flossy was still in diapers. Follow the posted links above.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Its free trade policies, such as the Canada-European Union pact are not designed to encourage domestic manufacturing. Rather they are aimed at expanding markets for raw materials and semi-processed goods like pork.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-walkom.html?referrer=https://news.google.ca/
I don't know maybe the high cost of electric power might have something to do with it . Add the exacerbating high regular costs like
WCB CCP and all other government intervention and you create a situation that calls for desperate measures .

The light at the end of this tunnel is that the small innovative companies are winning as they adapt, well the big monsters implode .

Read!!!!

Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All Harper?

The Foundation was created as part of the Canadian government’s growing interest in relations with Asia under the administrations of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. Its inception in 1984 was led by the Department of External Affairs, and was specifically proposed by the director general of the Department’s Asian and Pacific bureau, Tom Delworth. At the time the Department was headed by Secretary of State for External Affairs Joe Clark. Soon after, Vancouver businessman John Bruk was commissioned by the Department to undertake a study of the proposal. His report was accepted and became the basis for the founding Act. Bruk became the founding Chairman. The founders aimed to create an independent source of thought on Canada’s trade, investment and political relations with Asia. This came amidst the growing perception of Canada as a Pacific country, compared with its relations being conducted primarily by the Eastern provijnces across the Atlantic.[3] As a result it was mandated that the Foundation’s primary office should always be in Vancouver, British Columbia as to promote relations with Asia across the Pacific.[4] This idea was the premise for the creation of the Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative, whose mission is to establish Canada’s Asia–Pacific Gateway and Corridor as the best transportation network facilitating global supply chains between North America and Asia.

31 years later....
SSShhhh !!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yes I imagine we will. Still a good idea to change the ones at the top as frequently as possible though, in my opinion. Emerson was a Conservative I believe.

Emmerson was a fukking traitor. Changed parties before the ballots were even finished being counted. Then sold out BC in the softwood lumber agreement.