Jason Kenney; worst Defence Minister this country has ever known

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
He has lied about the terrorist threat, he has endangered the security of our troops in Iraq.

But this is the absolute limit.

The federal government has ratcheted up its war of words over Ukraine, with the parliamentary defence secretary claiming Russian warships confronted a Canadian frigate in the Black Sea. NATO officials, however, say no such thing happened.

Can you believe it?

Making it sound like the Russians are singling out Canada.

James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to Minister of National Defence Jason Kenney, told the House of Commons this week:

"Since arriving in the Black Sea, Royal Canadian Navy sailors have been confronted by Russian warships and buzzed by Russian fighter jets." Kenney also repeated the claim the next day, stating that a Russian jet buzzed the Canadian frigate HMCS Fredericton at low altitude.

Only to be shot down by our own NATO allies...

more

NATO disputes warships incident in Black Sea

The world is a dangerous enough place. Russia is a dangerous enough country.

Without having Kenney pour gasoline on the flames, and escalate the situation even further.

In relentless pursuit of the ethnic vote.

What will he do next I wonder?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ya, but... paper bags of money! How crass is that? We have ours transferred discretely to numbered Swiss bank accounts....

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Jason Kenney,I am sure he is a nice guy,however I usually don't hear a word he says,what ever he has participated in should not surprise anyone,as he is a political figure which is programed to respond in a limited manner.
I don't think I could ever take him very serious,this turning off my ears affliction started some time ago.I had to ponder my prejustices towards Mr.Kenney,and have come to the conclusions,my not hearing a word he says comes from recalling his grooming period through conservative politics,he presented as so very desperate to have affirmation from his poltical groomers,so much so,I questioned his allegiance to what is right within poltical life, how he serves his constituents,
he was corny/nerd in presentation of his desperate need to belong,I questioned who was grooming this pathetic person, and what kind of person would place Mr. Kenney in this position?
Mr.Kenney presented as easy to hardwire the "Conservative word",I wondered if he had a father,and what type of father was he.MrKenney is not capable to go off cue,or even with his programed poltical ideoligies,this would be difficult for him,so highjacking him would be easy,but do we really want to pick on someone who is so desperate to please,I would feel like a bully if I would take opportunity to expose his programming capacity
I watched him 15 years ago,move up the Conservative ladder.After a while I had more interest in the groomers,rather then the groomed.I really did not pay attention on what or what Mr. Kenney has done,as I don't believe in anything he says or does,he is a puppet.
I would be open to discarding old thinking of Mr.Kenney,I think of Stock in the same manner as Mr. Kenney,YUK!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The only thing more disturbing than having an incompetent Cold War chickenhawk like Jason Kenney posing as a Defence Minister, and lying like a thief. Over and over again.

Is having Canada's top general, running behind him with a shovel.
To scoop up his manure, or as David Pugliese writes, dig him out of a bomb crater of his own making.

Last week Defence Minister Jason Kenney claimed that Canada was needed in the Syrian bombing campaign because it and the U.S. are the only members of the coalition who have precision guided munitions.

Kenney’s claim, which he also repeated on two other occasions on different TV programs, was pretty sweeping. It was also completely false.

As I reported in the Citizen, both Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, part of the current five country U.S.-led coalition bombing targets in Syria, have precision guided weapons and have already used them against Islamic extremists.

Last fall Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, praised the Arab nations for their role in the bombing campaign and highlighted their use of precision guided munitions in Syria.

These nations “are performing just as well as we are on the issue of precision and reducing the possibility of collateral damage,” Dempsey said.

When Kenney made his false claims on TV, there were some inside National Defence headquarters who couldn’t figure out why he was saying what he was saying. After all, Kenney had been thoroughly briefed about the Syrian mission, so he either didn’t understand the basic information he had been told or he was just ignoring what he had been told, sources pointed out to Defence Watch.

With Kenney under fire from opposition MPs who were accusing him of misleading the public on the Syrian mission, the scramble was on in the Canadian Forces to try to dig out the gaffe-prone minister from the problem of his own making.

So on the weekend they came up with this statement about the Ottawa Citizen article, now published on the DND/CF site:

Gen. Tom Lawson tries to dig Jason Kenney out of a bomb crater of his own making | Ottawa Citizen

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Jason Kenney? Isn't he that cyclist from my hometown of Bolton who won one or two medals at London 2012?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Jason Kenney? Isn't he that cyclist from my hometown of Bolton who won one or two medals at London 2012?

You're on the Canadian Politics thread so not likely.........

Bumbles make the once all-star Jason Kenney seem more like a reflection of Tories’ worst traits

Jason Kenney has long been considered the Conservative party’s best approximation of an heir apparent; a dauphin, if you will. In a caucus notably lacking in strong performers, save for the Prime Minister and a handful of ministers, Mr. Kenney is a star.

Or was.

For it has been reinforced lately, most recently Wednesday, that this minister has a potentially crippling Achilles heel; his very confidence and combativeness, coupled with instant access to social media, lead him to one snafu after another. Making matters worse, having erred, Mr. Kenney is incapable of apology. The words “I’m sorry” apparently cannot pass his lips without causing him to spontaneously combust. In this, the Defence Minister neatly personifies what ails his party as it heads into a make-or-break election; a clench-jawed refusal to admit error or consider fair criticism until the last grainery has been burned, the last well salted and the last bridge bombed.

A glance at the record reveals a pattern. In the fall of 2011 the now-defunct Sun News faked a citizenship ceremony with the co-operation of officials in Mr. Kenney’s department, at the time Immigration. When this came to light he declined to apologize and blamed it on underlings.

In November of 2013, at the height of the Rob Ford fracas, Mr. Kenney and the late Jim Flaherty reportedly nearly came to blows in the House of Commons after Mr. Kenney publicly called on Mr. Ford, a Flaherty family friend, to quit. Mr. Flaherty was in his mid-sixties and in failing health; Mr. Kenney is in his mid-forties and young enough, just, to be Mr. Flaherty’s son. Later there was some public smoothing-over by Mr. Kenney, but no expression of contrition.

Last Oct. 22, as Ottawa reeled amid the attack on the National War Memorial and on Parliament, Mr. Kenney pre-emptively revealed on Twitter that a Canadian soldier, later identified as Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, had been killed, short-circuiting DND’s procedures for communicating deaths among its members. No remorse was ever expressed.

In early March, Mr. Kenney Tweeted photos of the ramp ceremony for Sgt. Andrew Doiron, killed by friendly fire in Iraq, in doing so revealing the faces of special operations soldiers, which is normally forbidden for the soldiers’ own safety. He responded to criticism by insisting that officers in Iraq had made the decision to release the photos. On March 8, Mr. Kenney Tweeted photos of burka-clad women in chains, ostensibly enslaved by ISIS; in fact, as reported by the Ottawa Citizen’s Glen McGregor, the images depicted scenes from a ceremonial play.

That same weekend, the Citizen’s Mr. Pugliese reported that NATO had contradicted claims by Mr. Kenney and his parliamentary secretary, James Bezan, that HMCS Fredericton had been “buzzed” by Russian fighters and “confronted” by Russian ships in the Black Sea. Two weeks on the discrepancy stands. It was soon superseded by the latest misstatement, correction and non-apology, over who is, and who is not, deploying smart bombs in Syria.

From any government minister at any time, this cascade of self-inflicted wounds, followed by mulish pride, would be cause for concern. From a defence minister in wartime it is alarming. That Mr. Kenney is a force within the Conservative party is undeniable. Is he too big to be reined in or, at the very least, told to lay off Twitter for a bit?

more

Michael Den Tandt: Bumbles make the once all-star Jason Kenney seem more like a reflection of Tories’ worst traits | National Post

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As I am not familiar with every Defence Minister and Minister of War all the way back to Macdonald's first government, "worst" may not be accurate.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
has anyone ever had a conversation with Mr.Kenny,mine was a long time ago,but I remember as yesterday.
if anyone has had a conversation with Mr. Kenny,what was it like for you?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
You gotta remember that, with the recent defections from the Inner Circle, Jason Kenny is considered one of the talented ones. That's what really hurts. ha ha ha. Damn I'm funny. I slay myself.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He should be made to bob for french fries he is an idiot and that is being kind
Screwed up everything he touched so far

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If Canada can't afford to access it's 'own' satellite then who is using it so much that you have to book ahead?

Canada Grants Kiev Access to Sophisticated Satellite Imagery / Sputnik International

Ukraine has gained access to Canadian satellite images that Ottawa's own military forces could hardly afford; it still remains unclear how much the agreement with the Kiev regime will cost Canadian taxpayers.Canadian authorities have announced they would provide Ukraine with satellite imagery from its Radarsat-2 satellite; however, Ottawa's decision has sparked controversy among Canadian politicians, who say the Canadian Forces have been suffering from a "critical shortage" in funding access to the satellite.
Paul Calandra, parliamentary secretary to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is insisting that the decision to share imagery data from the satellite with the Ukrainian government has not affected Canadian national interests or its ability to use Radarsat-2 for its own purposes, including those of the country's defense forces.
Canadian media outlets cite the business planning documents of the Department of National Defense (DND), stating that "the use of Radarsat imagery in support of the Canadian Forces operations has been growing over the past years," and noting that the Canadian Forces have already faced an "imposed reduction" on access to Radarsat-2 due to government budget cuts.