Minister: Vote For Trudeau And Get His Father's Policies

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

OTTAWA - Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is bent on emulating the policies of his father and will wind up destabilizing national unity, says Conservative junior cabinet minister Maxime Bernier.

Bernier launched a lengthy attack against Trudeau and his father in a speech on Saturday that was billed to be about strengthening business confidence.

The minister of state for small business and tourism said the government of Pierre Trudeau was responsible for stagflation, big government, and spiralling national debt in the 1970s.

He said the next election will be a choice between the Pierre Trudeau-era policies of the 1970s, and the small-government focus of the Conservatives. Bernier did not refer to the NDP in his speech.

"OK, OK, some people might think, Maxime, it is unfair to compare Justin Trudeau with his father and to burden him with the record of his father. After all, is he not his own person?" Bernier told the Manning Networking Conference, a conservative policy conference.

"Well, I'm not the one who created the Trudeau mystique. I'm not the one who made the connection in the first place. And, if he is so different from Pierre, then why did Liberals elect him to lead their party?"

Bernier went on to credit the Conservatives for helping to diffuse the Quebec separatist movement. He said the Liberal party's interest in such areas as education and health-care suggests Trudeau wants to meddle in provincial matters, and that approach could ultimately lead to a constitutional crisis.

"What he wants is to interfere in provincial matters. With that vision of Canada, we will not have constitutional peace in Quebec," Bernier said.

"A Justin Trudeau government will be destabilizing for our national unity, just like a Pierre Trudeau government was."

Bernier, an unabashed libertarian, is a popular figure among a certain segment of the Conservative movement. He said the key to economic prosperity is to cut spending and taxes.

"Growth and progress depend on economic freedom through less government intervention," Bernier said.

"More government spending is not the answer to our social and economic challenges. The task is not to reinvent government. The task is to limit government."

Read More

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

OTTAWA - Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is bent on emulating the policies of his father and will wind up destabilizing national unity, says Conservative junior cabinet minister Maxime Bernier.

Bernier launched a lengthy attack against Trudeau and his father in a speech on Saturday that was billed to be about strengthening business confidence.

The minister of state for small business and tourism said the government of Pierre Trudeau was responsible for stagflation, big government, and spiralling national debt in the 1970s.

He said the next election will be a choice between the Pierre Trudeau-era policies of the 1970s, and the small-government focus of the Conservatives. Bernier did not refer to the NDP in his speech.

"OK, OK, some people might think, Maxime, it is unfair to compare Justin Trudeau with his father and to burden him with the record of his father. After all, is he not his own person?" Bernier told the Manning Networking Conference, a conservative policy conference.

"Well, I'm not the one who created the Trudeau mystique. I'm not the one who made the connection in the first place. And, if he is so different from Pierre, then why did Liberals elect him to lead their party?"

Bernier went on to credit the Conservatives for helping to diffuse the Quebec separatist movement. He said the Liberal party's interest in such areas as education and health-care suggests Trudeau wants to meddle in provincial matters, and that approach could ultimately lead to a constitutional crisis.

"What he wants is to interfere in provincial matters. With that vision of Canada, we will not have constitutional peace in Quebec," Bernier said.

"A Justin Trudeau government will be destabilizing for our national unity, just like a Pierre Trudeau government was."

Bernier, an unabashed libertarian, is a popular figure among a certain segment of the Conservative movement. He said the key to economic prosperity is to cut spending and taxes.

"Growth and progress depend on economic freedom through less government intervention," Bernier said.

"More government spending is not the answer to our social and economic challenges. The task is not to reinvent government. The task is to limit government."

Read More

Just like Daddy??

Deficit, martial law, love of Communist dictators, destruction of our military, abandonment of our allies, centralization of power in the PMO, backbenchers as "those nobodies", alienation of the west.....hell, I can't wait!

(insert rolled eyes here)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think you are far more likely to get Justin's mother's policies than his father's. He's a true chip off the old block.. Maggie that is.. flower child turned disco queen.

Justin is a true cosmic cowboy.. who just drops into cold hard reality for brief visits from his sojourns around the universe.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Funny how ideologues miss the obvious. Can only see out of one eye and blind in the other. Is there any of our parties that stand even close to the middle?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'll take this as your admission that you now know that Trudeau has self destructed

... And so begins Flossy's descent into depression
I think you missed the point, as usual. He was referring to Colpy's rendition of Trudeau senior being the same as Harpo's.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'll take this as your admission that you now know that Trudeau has self destructed

... And so begins Flossy's descent into depression

The only ones descending into depression are those who invested heavily in oil.

Considering that's your territory... well... it is what it is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Chretien and Martin? Turdeau says oil investment isn't going anywhere but up, why would he kill what his father started?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I think you missed the point, as usual. He was referring to Colpy's rendition of Trudeau senior being the same as Harpo's.

Sure Cliffy, sure

The only ones descending into depression are those who invested heavily in oil.

Considering that's your territory... well... it is what it is.

That might be the case had we not locked in our prices via forward contracts back when oil was North of $100.

Times are pretty good for us for the next while.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Will tears flow if Justine is elected, western infrastructure investment doesn't slow and pipelines get pushed through by NEB?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not mine. That would actually be an ideal outcome from my perspective.

Indeed it would. BC stands to make good money on exporting through it's ports. It's all part of the Liberal's Asia Pacific Gateway that Harper kept on developing since taking office. Prairie resources will keep feeding the ports for the next century or two.

It only took 125 years but Western Canada is finally getting what it needs.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
At least Justin will bring back some sanity to the government and take questions from reporters at photo-ops something the federalConservatives only do at election time