Conservatives brain fart in the middle of parliament

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Veterans must verify lost limbs every three years, Ottawa says

***Now don't get me wrong, we do have some really amazing soldiers, but common!?!?!Are they on crack?***

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Friday, Feb. 27 2015, 5:08 PM EST

Pierre Lemieux, a Tory MP spoke.

A wounded soldier who lost both legs in Afghanistan and has had to prove to Veterans Affairs every year that he still needs a wheelchair, will now only have to go through the experience every three years.

***huh?!?!?***

The change in policy was quietly announced in the House of Commons by Pierre Lemieux, parliamentary secretary to the veterans minister.

In addition, Lemieux told opposition parties that veterans who are required to complete these renewals under the veterans independence program will have six months to hand in the paperwork, considerably longer than under the current system.

Paul Franklin, who was a master corporal when he lost his legs in a 2006 roadside bombing in Kandahar, has long complained about the veterans system and its annual review.
He says he was well looked after at National Defence, but has faced a bureaucratic nightmare since retiring almost six years ago and coming under the veterans department.
His plight caused a political sensation and even drew the attention of comedian Rick Mercer, who devoted a rant to the subject.
Franklin wasn’t immediately available to comment Friday.

***our policy on wounded maimed soldiers is to hope they stop filling paperwork?!?!?***

In early February, he spoke to CTV’s Canada AM and said veterans affairs treats him and other ex-soldiers as though they are trying to cheat the system.
The department required him to justify annually why he still qualified for home-care services and income replacement because of his disability.
The disputes got so bad, Franklin had his wheelchair taken away from him twice because it wasn’t clear which department should pay for it and which doctor’s notes were needed.
Lemieux told the Commons that Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O’Toole has spoken to Franklin personally.
NDP MP John Rafferty called the situation “unbelievable.”

***to save on money our government policy is to ware you down with so much paperwork there is a chance you'll get fed up and stop claiming lol . They did it for EI and now to maimed wounded Canadian soldiers.***

Harper is the best Prime Minister he makes Jean look generous:) :) :)****

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/p...s-ottawa-says/article23233103/?service=mobile

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
You know, cause lost limbs obviously grow back on Lizards . Duh

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm: Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism, Low I.Q.

“Hodson and Busseri (2012) found in a correlational study that lower intelligence in childhood is predictive of greater racism in adulthood, with this effect being mediated (partially explained) through conservative ideology. They also found poor abstract reasoning skills were related to homophobic attitudes which was mediated through authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact.”

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm: Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism, Low I.Q. | Americans Against the Tea Party

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
so, was it the Cons that brought in the rule of checking every year, or was it the previous Liberal Government, or was it, by chance, some silly servant with no input from any of the sitting governments?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
so, was it the Cons that brought in the rule of checking every year, or was it the previous Liberal Government, or was it, by chance, some silly servant with no input from any of the sitting governments?

Oh, oh, I wanna guess.....let me guess....it was someone who doesn't realize that limbs don't grow back.

Hey, somebody should inform the government, this and subsequent, of this fact......it would save all kinds of bureaucratic time eh?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How else can the legions of otherwise unemployable bureaucraps justify their existence? By giving these people government jobs is saving the welfare system untold billions.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

The conservative had the chance to change that.
And what did they do??? Did they get this right?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Have trouble with these TWITS in gouv. that act like dimwits when it comes down to communicating with the public in an intelligent manner. If they were working in the private industry they would not keep their job very long.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The conservative had the chance to change that.
And what did they do??? Did they get this right?

Well, sure looks like they did more than the Libs or NDP have done. Don't agree that it's enough, but it is more.

and here's the question again for those that decided to just skip over it and continue with the finger pointing.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Well, sure looks like they did more than the Libs or NDP have done. Don't agree that it's enough, but it is more.

and here's the question again for those that decided to just skip over it and continue with the finger pointing.

Two wrong makes a right then? What great leadership by Harper.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Two wrong makes a right then? What great leadership by Harper.

again, did Harpers Cons institute the requirement, if not, then what they have done is more than the Libs and NDP have done. While I still think it is asinine to require some who has lost a limb to verify that that limb is still missing. At least now they don't have to verify it every year like was required under the Liberals. Or is that your complaint. You would have preferred that the Conservatives didn't do anything and left things the same as when the Liberals were in power, is that it?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I see this as a obvious missed opportunity to show that Harper is willing to get it right, not simply be a little less wrong.

Getting it right is true leadership

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I see this as a obvious missed opportunity to show that Harper is willing to get it right, not simply be a little less wrong.

Getting it right is true leadership

So, who could do a better job?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Whoever would scrap having to show the limb is gone more than once.

and who would that be? I say, at this point in time, the only one available IS Harper. If ya's have anyone else, bring him or her forward. Otherwise all we have is a lot of whining and finger pointing with no solutions.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
and who would that be? I say, at this point in time, the only one available IS Harper. If ya's have anyone else, bring him or her forward. Otherwise all we have is a lot of whining and finger pointing with no solutions.

I think this one is simple enough for any of the leaders to do. Hell even the Bloc or the Greens could do this change.