Tampon GST Tax Petition Moves Past 50,000

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Canadian Jill Piebiak has garnered more than 50,000 signatures on a petition calling on the federal government to end sales tax on tampons, sanitary pads and other menstrual products.

"To live a normal, healthy life in Canada menstruators have to buy these products every month," Piebiak, who hails from Toronto, told Daybreak North's Russell Bowers.

"We believe that a product like this, that should be classified as a medical product by the government should be tax free."

The idea itself isn't new. Most recently, NDP MP Irene Mathyssen tabled private member's bill C-282 calling for an end to GST on tampons and pads.

"I don't think this has been brought forward as a debate. It's been brought forward as a private member's bill and private member's bills rarely get coverage and rarely get time in the house to be discussed."

​Piebiak said she also plans to have a hard copy of the online petition tabled in the House of Commons, in hopes it eventually gets a proper debate.

poll

'Tampon tax' petition collects more than 50,000 signatures - British Columbia - CBC News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Tell you what, you approach a menstruating woman and tell her she needs to give up more of her money.

I'll be over waiting by the ambulance.

;)

Lol.

How many women that are PMSing justify the purchase of another pair of $100 shoes during that time?

... I'm finding the money argument on this issue kind of a lost leader

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How many women that are PMSing justify the purchase of another pair of $100 shoes during that time?

Just because you don't get the logic doesn't mean the logic isn't there. Lol.

... I'm finding the money argument on this issue kind of a lost leader

That's only true if you take it as an argument and not a flippant comment. Lol.

In other words, it's Saturday and I'm not PMSing, so WTF do I care? Lol.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Just because you don't get the logic doesn't mean the logic isn't there. Lol.

I know enough to understand that there is a specific PMS logic that one never challenges... Ever

That's only true if you take it as an argument and not a flippant comment. Lol.

I'm sorry... Didn't mean it... You're right... Yes dear... Can I rub your back for you?

In other words, it's Saturday and I'm not PMSing, so WTF do I care? Lol.

That's exactly what you'd say if you were PMSing right now