Canada announces plans to cover U.S. costs of major new Windsor-Detroit bridge

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA – The federal government says it’s reached a deal to cover the costs of a major new bridge between Canada and the U.S.

Canada was already planning to pay for 95 per cent of a new bridge between Windsor, Ont., and Detroit.

Now it’s covering the final portion – a United States customs plaza.

READ MORE: Officials announce authority for new Detroit-Windsor bridge

Transport Minister Lisa Raitt says it won’t cost Canadian taxpayers anything because the funds will be recouped through tolls and a public-private partnership.

The Canadian government had expressed frustration at having to wait for construction to start on the U.S. side of the estimated $4 billion project.

The new infrastructure would be a next-generation replacement for the aging bridge that currently handles one third of all Canada-U.S. trade.

© The Canadian Press, 2015

Canada announces plans to cover U.S. costs of major new Windsor-Detroit bridge | Globalnews.ca

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ActionPlan infrastructure for ON? That's gotta be a lie cuz ON doesn't get ActionPlan infrastructure funding.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I like the idea of Canadians picking up the tab for Americans. That's a great idea if one is an American. I wonder if I could persuade the people of Canada to pick up the freight for beer and pizza for us as well?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I like the idea of Canadians picking up the tab for Americans. That's a great idea if one is an American. I wonder if I could persuade the people of Canada to pick up the freight for beer and pizza for us as well?

Anytime, we Not cheap like you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure ... if you don't mind the odd spit. Canadian beer might be a bit tough on you though....

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

When you control the toll, you have the license to establish a form of tax. With a stronger USD, there will be more interest in spending those greenbacks in Canada.

It won't take as long as you think to recoup the capital costs and turn that access to cross-border events into a revenue source

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Guess who gets the toll revenues?
The folks who pay for my beer and pizza?

When you control the toll, you have the license to establish a form of tax. With a stronger USD, there will be more interest in spending those greenbacks in Canada.

It won't take as long as you think to recoup the capital costs and turn that access to cross-border events into a revenue source
I wonder if Canada just paid the entire bill for a bridge that will ultimately belong to the North American Union? If so, I wonder who will ultimately end up with the revenue?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What a load of crap the minute it was said private public partnership we know
it will cost more and the government will lose because someone has to make a
profit. We can't pay the vets what their due but we can pick up the tab for
our neighbor to the tune of 4 billion dollars. We can't meet our funding structure
for agriculture but we can afford to give away 4 billion dollars
We can't afford to pay the cost associated with Medicare but we can afford
to pay for a bridge costing 4 billion dollars all of it yet the other nation will
benefit. Oh and an election is coming this year. I can't wait to vote against
this crowd