No mystery why Stephen Harper would pass up on meeting with Wynne

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A spectre is haunting Canada, a growing crisis that left unaddressed could tear this country apart. The questions it raises go to the heart of our existence together as a nation; the issues it touches are fundamental, yet pregnant with ambiguity.

I speak, of course, of the prime minister’s failure to meet with the premier of Ontario. For, like, a year. As an exclusive front-page investigation by the Toronto Star revealed Friday, “Prime Minister Stephen Harper has spent more time with Russian President Vladimir Putin this year than Premier Kathleen Wynne.”

The implications are as obvious as they are troubling. To be sure, Ontario has not invaded a neighbouring country and has pledged to use its nuclear technology only for peaceful purposes. But as the premier herself has said, “I think that it is only rational that the prime minister of Canada would want to talk with the premier of Ontario.”

The trouble has apparently been brewing for some time. In August, the Star reported on the premier’s exasperation at not having spoken with the prime minister in the “78 days” since she was re-elected. (“To be fair to him, I haven’t specifically asked for a conversation.”) By early November, the paper was reporting the two had chatted the previous month, but before then “had not talked in more than six months.”

A couple of weeks later, things reached Defcon Four: It was reported the premier had just written the prime minister a letter demanding a meeting. Worse, it emerged that she had written him a similar letter in September, to which he had only just replied. (Can you believe it? What was he doing all that time, besides sending troops into battle and closing a trade deal with Europe and giving a speech at the United Nations and travelling to China and meeting the G20 and ducking the odd bullet?)

You can see the premier’s dilemma. Here she is with a clear, focused agenda — described at various times in recent weeks as involving pensions, infrastructure funding, federal-provincial transfers, internal trade, a possible Chinese currency trading hub in Toronto, the Ring of Fire mining project, Employment Insurance, and violence against aboriginal women — and yet the prime minister refuses to meet in person with her. I know what you’re thinking: Why doesn’t she just pick up the phone and call him? But then how would she be able to tell if he was smirking?

more har

Coyne: Perhaps it’s no mystery why Prime Minister Stephen Harper would pass up on meeting with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne

*sidebar* I like when douchebag politicos do a 'press release' or otherwise 'announce': I've written a letter to someone...as if this is suppose to publicly shame the recipient somehow.

good for you. now get back to work.

Canbyte

Time Out
Feb 23, 2011
Southern Ontario
Let's set about finding which provincial and territorial head diplomats the PM met individually. See ifthere was a pattern. Afterward start judging.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Orville Redenbacher's twin sister looks like a Far Side cartoon character.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
PMO: We have a Kathleen Wynne on the phone. Says she'd the Premier of Ontario...
SH: Oh my god! Not her again. Tell her I'm busy.
PMO: Yes, Miss Wynne. The Prime Minister is busy. Umm, no, I'm afraid he can't loan you money for new hard drives.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Generally speaking, doesn't it make sense for the Prime Minister of Canada to take an hour or two out of the year to at least meet with each and every Premier of each province to get a bit more involved and knowledgeable towards what's going on with each province and their leaders?

It's not like there's several dozen Provinces to keep track of and you'd think having a little one on one with the provincial leaders would be a good thing for an informed and functional government on both ends (Federal & Provincial)

So what, Harper is too good and too important to take a little time to sit down and talk with elected leaders within the nation?

Yes the Ontario premier should just get back to work while Harper can continue to focus on the more important things like hiding in closets, trying to look tough on the international stage and blowing a crap tonne of money on political spin/attack ads & propaganda at the expense of taxpayers.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Perhaps if she? could at least be in the same church even if she can't sing from the same book there would be more communication.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Generally speaking, doesn't it make sense for the Prime Minister of Canada to take an hour or two out of the year to at least meet with each and every Premier of each province to get a bit more involved and knowledgeable towards what's going on with each province and their leaders?

It's not like there's several dozen Provinces to keep track of and you'd think having a little one on one with the provincial leaders would be a good thing for an informed and functional government on both ends (Federal & Provincial)

So what, Harper is too good and too important to take a little time to sit down and talk with elected leaders within the nation?

Yes the Ontario premier should just get back to work while Harper can continue to focus on the more important things like hiding in closets, trying to look tough on the international stage and blowing a crap tonne of money on political spin/attack ads & propaganda at the expense of taxpayers.

I couldn't spend 15 minutes with Wynne without hitting her with a stick.

I suspect Harper has the same problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
*sidebar* I like when douchebag politicos do a 'press release' or otherwise 'announce': I've written a letter to someone...as if this is suppose to publicly shame the recipient somehow.

It's sort of similar to some posters here referring to PMs sent or received.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wynne tries to shame Harper

heh...this ogre has a sad

...is writing more letters to the media to try and cover-up her deficiencies...she looks so needy...please Mr Prime Minister, please...for the love of gia Stephen, please meet with me, make me whole, acknowledge my significance, my importance, please...the other kids are laughing at me.

read the tear-stained letter here:

1 30281352 Letter to PM December 11 2014

more shaming articles about this broad:

Kelly McParland: Kathleen Wynne’s Ontario replaces Quebec as the whining child of Confederation | National Post

Kathleen Wynne makes full-court press for meeting with PM - Politics - CBC News

Wynne tries to shame Harper : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery