Rob Ford's medical records breached: Hospital

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Move along, nothing to see here.

It's not as if he's JT, or Olivia or Mr Wynne or Uncle Tom.

Keep moving, go on...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
this is politics and everything appears to be fair game funny how the right cries
when they are breached yet they make robo calls and hack the left. No I am not
saying its right I am saying it take two to tango and its time both sides engaged
in some honesty and ethics

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wow, I can't believe we haven't seen the bastion of intellectual superiority in here condemning this act of criminality.

Oh fook, silly me, it wasn't JT's moms laundry list of STD's illegally accessed by ideological a$$hats.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
this is politics and everything appears to be fair game funny how the right cries
saying its right I am saying it take two to tango and its time both sides engaged
Robo calls are made on all sides.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
this is politics and everything appears to be fair game
This isn't politics, it's a crime. It would have been a crime if it were JT's, Mulcairs, or Mr Wynne's too.

It's a serious breach of the public trust.

funny how the right cries when they are breached yet they make robo calls and hack the left.
What the hell are you babbling about?

No I am not saying its right I am saying it take two to tango and its time both sides engaged
Can you show me a similar case where the "right" illegally accessed the health records of a politician they didn't like the politics of?

Can't wait to see them justify this action like they did with the rehab stuff.
See DG's post.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It doesn't mean it was politically motivated. When many people have access to information at the click of the button things like curiosity and stupidity can prevail. It wouldn't be a public issue if the hospital didn't make it so. Good on Mt Sinai to not just slip it under the rug.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

This has got nothing to do with politics and confidential health records are most certainly not 'fair game'. Complaining about telemarketing calls and complaining about a violation of confidential medical information are on vastly different scales!

There are excessively strict guidelines for the collection of and the use or disclosure of an individuals personal health information. Damn sure that 'politics' isn't one of them.

Requirement for consent
29. A health information custodian shall not collect, use or disclose personal health information about an individual unless,
(a) it has the individual’s consent under this Act and the collection, use or disclosure, as the case may be, to the best of the custodian’s knowledge, is necessary for a lawful purpose; or
(b) the collection, use or disclosure, as the case may be, is permitted or required by this Act. 2004, c. 3, Sched. A, s. 29.
Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, S.O. 2004, c. 3, Sched. A

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This has got nothing to do with politics and confidential health records are most certainly not 'fair game'. Complaining about telemarketing calls and complaining about a violation of confidential medical information are on vastly different scales!

There are excessively strict guidelines for the collection of and the use or disclosure of an individuals personal health information. Damn sure that 'politics' isn't one of them.

Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, S.O. 2004, c. 3, Sched. A

okay granted but what was done with the info they gleaned?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
okay granted but what was done with the info they gleaned?

It doesn't matter. The act speaks to collecting information when they are not expressly authorized to, which the hospital found out with their audit procedures.

"Two Mt. Sinai staff members who are not part of the patient's care team have inappropriately accessed his health record," the statement read. "We became aware of this activity through a robust system of safeguards and auditing procedures designed to ensure compliance to our security and privacy policies.
Professional health care workers do not seek out private information of patients not in their care. Period. No exceptions. The act of doing so is a wrong one, this is not an issue of politics, I don't care who the guy is, everyone is covered under PIPEDA.

Comparing a violation of private health information with everyday political shenanigans is not right either, they are not comparable.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It doesn't matter. The act speaks to collecting information when they are not expressly authorized to, which the hospital found out with their audit procedures.

exactly right and that is my point...nothing was done with it

this happens all of the time but they have made it public

it's not a Rob Ford issue and it is not a political issue

it's a public breach no?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It doesn't mean it was politically motivated. When many people have access to information at the click of the button things like curiosity and stupidity can prevail. It wouldn't be a public issue if the hospital didn't make it so. Good on Mt Sinai to not just slip it under the rug.

I see it as more "celebrity motivated' as opposed to "politically motivated". If it were the records of John Smith, they likely wouldn't have bothered. Still doesn't make it any less of a violation though.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can't help but feel that if this were any of the politicians I listed, this would be seen as completely politically motivated, and the hew and cry would be much louder and angst filled.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
exactly right and that is my point...nothing was done with it

this happens all of the time but they have made it public

it's not a Rob Ford issue and it is not a political issue

it's a public breach no?

Of course it's a public breach. I would sure as hell hope that it doesn't happen all the time and that if a reputable institution like Mt. Sinai did encounter such breaches it would inform the public. The same as how CRA informs the public when there is a breach in their systems, etc.

And you need to acknowledge the post I was replying to began with the words "this is politics and seems to be fair game".

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I see it as more "celebrity motivated' as opposed to "politically motivated". If it were the records of John Smith, they likely wouldn't have bothered. Still doesn't make it any less of a violation though.

yeah they do bother...and it has always been a big issue within hospitals now because of the new privacy laws

for a while in our one hospital they had a shhhhhhhhhhhh message to staff in the f*cking elevators

WHY well because two staff discussed a patient in the elevator and someone KNEW that individual and then had info on their condition which they should not have had...it did not go exactly public...but staff on all levels were reamed

this is why it is now audited

so what I am saying is...this is a problem that is not new

nor is it really Ford centered.

they have just made it so

it's good press fodder for a bit

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yeah they do bother...and it has always been a big issue within hospitals now because of the new privacy laws

for a while in our one hospital they had a shhhhhhhhhhhh message to staff in the f*cking elevators

WHY well because two staff discussed a patient in the elevator and someone KNEW that individual and then had info on their condition which they should not have had...it did not go exactly public...but staff on all levels were reamed

this is why it is now audited

so what I am saying is...this is a problem that is not new

nor is it really Ford centered.

they have just made it so

it's good press fodder for a bit

If I were the hospital I'd be very concerned given who the subject of the information was and do just as they've done and get in front of this thing. There are dozens of "news outlets" (and I put that in quotes for a reason, a reputable news organization would be screwed tens ways from Sunday for revealing such info) out there salivating for any small tidbit of information. Whether or not you or I believe it was politically motivated or celebrity motivated or just the same curiosity that they may have had for any individual under care, the fact that there are people out there who would make use of such information opens up the hospital to a huge liability. That is the reason why they've come forward naming him as the individual who's information was breached.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If I were the hospital I'd be very concerned given who the subject of the information was and do just as they've done and get in front of this thing. There are dozens of "news outlets" (and I put that in quotes for a reason, a reputable news organization would be screwed tens ways from Sunday for revealing such info) out there salivating for any small tidbit of information. Whether or not you or I believe it was politically motivated or celebrity motivated or just the same curiosity that they may have had for any individual under care, the fact that there are people out there who would make use of such information opens up the hospital to a huge liability. That is the reason why they've come forward naming him as the individual who's information was breached.

yes that is EXACTLY why...liability

the hospitals standards of privacy and the need to protect the privacy of the individual is no different than any other institution dealing with sensitive material on anyone

that's why this story will vanish quickly, his privacy is no more important than your privacy.