Ontario economy poised to grow faster than Canada's: CIBC

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario economy poised to grow faster than Canada's: CIBC

CIBC says Canada's most populous province is on track to see its economy expand by more than the national average next year, the first time that's happened since before the recession.

The bank says Ontario's economy could expand by 2.8 per cent next year. That's slightly ahead of the 2.7 per cent expansion the bank expects for Canada's economy as a whole.

Indeed, it's good enough to tie Ontario for the second-fastest growth in the country next year, behind Alberta with a projected 3.5 per cent expansion in GDP.

"Ontario has seen a notable resurgence, shifting from a perennial trailer to among the better performing regions of the country," economists Avery Shenfeld and Warren Lovely wrote in their report.

The bank says the province is benefiting more than anywhere else in Canada from a resurgent U.S. economy. The strong American economy is pushing the loonie lower, which makes Ontario (and Canada) more competitive internationally.

Corporate tax rates also make the province an attractive place to invest — not to mention the $2.5-billion war chest that Queen's Park has amassed with a view toward encouraging more investment from companies in the province.

That could be good news for the province's government, which is currently trying to tame a budget deficit. If their predictions come to pass, two years from now the province could be sitting on an extra $4 to $5 billion in tax revenue acquired from an expanding economy.

"Momentum indicators point Ontario’s way," Shenfeld and Lovely wrote. "Employment hasn’t caught fire, but should respond at some point."

Ontario economy poised to grow faster than Canada's: CIBC - Business - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In the meantime mortgage companies are calling for a 25% dive when the housing market bubble bursts.

That's gonna hurt.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

"Momentum indicators point Ontario’s way," Shenfeld and Lovely wrote. "Employment hasn’t caught fire, but should respond at some point."

Say, after the Wynne Government guts everything from social programs to all day kindergarten.

Then after they download all their costs on the municipalities and stab the Unions in the back things will work out just awesome.

Then they can revert to blaming Harris.

For those that are wondering: He was the Premier 12 years ago.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Stick to your guns soldier.... Overlook who deregulated Hydro and opened the doors to big business ethics and profit-minded operation of what was an advantage for Ontario industry (THAT was Harris) or who took Hydro into their nuclear plant craze - with attendant cost over-runs and deficits in the two or three Conservative administrations prior.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
As long as folks like yourself continue to make excuses for this corrupt government and prop them up in their "BLAME HARRIS MANTRA" they will continue sticking it to you. I've never said the Harris Government was perfect, but holy catfish Wolfy, it's been 12 years.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We've had this debate before and I keep trying to inform you I blame McGuinty for his part too. You seem to want to make it the black and white issue it isn't. Harris opened the door to competition thereby killing the competitive advantage a Conservative government gave us in 1906. Do a little research

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
We've had this debate before and I keep trying to inform you I blame McGuinty for his part too. You seem to want to make it the black and white issue it isn't. Harris opened the door to competition thereby killing the competitive advantage a Conservative government gave us in 1906. Do a little research

No I don't, but whatever Harris did doesn't really change what the Liberals are doing now. And the voters who gave these Mugwumps another majority. It's time to say, "You've been in charge for 12 years A_Holes."