Top Adviser to Canada's Liberals Under Fire for Israel Comments

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
shiny

Sheila Gunn Reid ‏@SheilaGunnReid

Hi, @_andrewleslie & @JustinTrudeau. The Israelis have noticed how you've accused them of war crimes. Embarrassing! http://www.israelnationalnews.com/wap/Item.aspx?type=0&item=184732 …

One of the Canadian Liberal Party leader's top advisers accuses Israel of firing "indiscriminately onto Palestinian women and children".

Retired general Andrew Leslie, one of the Canadian Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau's top advisers, has accused Israel of firing "indiscriminately onto Palestinian women and children" during the recent operation in Gaza.

According to The Toronto Sun, Leslie's remarks were made August 19 but only surfaced this week when transcripts of his remarks, including a transcript made by Leslie himself, were provided to the local QMI Agency.

At a roundtable on veterans' issues that Leslie hosted he was asked for his "professional opinion" on the Israel-Hamas conflict.

In the course of his answer, Leslie, said, "Casualties are caused by the Israelis using very heavy weapons systems, firing indiscriminately onto Palestinian women and children."

“The Palestinian people are not the enemy. Hamas, absolutely,” Leslie said, according to the published transcript.

“You’re talking to a guy who has hunted terrorists for quite some time. You gotta kill them, you gotta kill them. Hey, I’ve got no problems with that. But Palestinian women and children who are taking refuge in a UN-designated compounds?”

“Come on. ‘Oh, it was an accident.’ Sorry, doesn’t matter to anyone. Shooting dumb artillery close to children is dumb,” he said.

The Toronto Sun further reported that two ministers in the cabinet of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a staunch supporter of Israel who continued to stand up for the Jewish state during the conflict in Gaza, condemned Leslie’s remarks.

Finance Minister Joe Oliver said in a statement those comments "are deeply disturbing."

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney called it "an inappropriate remark" and, speaking to reporters, said "it reflects profound misunderstanding of the situation, a skewed perspective on the part of Mr. Leslie."

"Israel takes great precautions to protect civilians while in contrast, Hamas deliberately puts innocent Palestinians in harm's way and has hurled thousands of rockets at Israeli civilians," Oliver said. "Nevertheless, Mr. Leslie places blame on Israel for defending itself."

Leslie told the QMI Agency Tuesday that "the totality of my comments are balanced."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/wap/Item.aspx?type=0&item=184732

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So.

Not a big deal.

In a public forum, Leslie presented an "opinion" that runs completely contrary to stated Liberal policy.

Justin slaps his wrist, tells him to STFU, and we carry on as before.

But WAIT!!!!

No words of apology or back tracking from Leslie.

No clarification or condemnation from Justin. (I mean, it's not like he said something against murdering babies)

Instead, their buddies from the CBC are ALL over the issue!!!

'Nixonian' Tory entrapment tactics blasted by Liberals - Politics - CBC News

Unbelievable.

Actually, I misspoke.

Completely believable.

The Liberals are lying through their teeth about their post-election policies.

The Liberals are NOT happy about the Canadian public actually learning the beliefs of their potential candidates.

And the CBC absolutely eagerly jumps on the Liberal bandwagon, and acts as a Liberal mouthpiece.

Nothing unusual here.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We were talking about Benghazi in a different thread here is another case of who cares.
The problem is many Canadians don't support Israel as Harper does and even many that
do won't vote against the new Liberal alternative. People want to get rid of Harper that is
what the next election is about and the Tories haven't figured that out yet.
Its not about Israel, the Ukraine or anywhere else its about get rid of Harper period.
Canadians don't want our troops fighting on the front lines and they don't want to pay for new
equipment. Canadians want medicare, their pensions and other social services and they've
just figured out Harper wants to cut them back. Get rid of Harper that is the mantra.
I personally know people who wanted him not now they're messing with pensions and social
programs.
i think all of these utterances of look what they're saying look what they're doing is falling on
deaf ears one and two the more they bring it up the more people will vote for him cause they
want Harper gone. I think even if they change leaders it won't help

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We were talking about Benghazi in a different thread here is another case of who cares.
The problem is many Canadians don't support Israel as Harper does and even many that
do won't vote against the new Liberal alternative. People want to get rid of Harper that is
what the next election is about and the Tories haven't figured that out yet.
Its not about Israel, the Ukraine or anywhere else its about get rid of Harper period.
Canadians don't want our troops fighting on the front lines and they don't want to pay for new
equipment. Canadians want medicare, their pensions and other social services and they've
just figured out Harper wants to cut them back. Get rid of Harper that is the mantra.
I personally know people who wanted him not now they're messing with pensions and social
programs.
i think all of these utterances of look what they're saying look what they're doing is falling on
deaf ears one and two the more they bring it up the more people will vote for him cause they
want Harper gone. I think even if they change leaders it won't help
I would bet you still are not voting Conservative next election . Any takers ?