Police chief who clashed with Rob Ford over criminal investigation gets the boot

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

TORONTO — After a decade at the helm of the country's largest police service, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, who oversaw a high-profile investigation of Mayor Rob Ford, will be forced out in April.

Toronto Police Services Board members met behind closed doors today to discuss the future of the city's top cop and have decided not to renew Blair's contract for a third term.

"After considerable discussion related to the Toronto Police Service's continuing need for organizational renewal the Board has decided not to renew the employment agreement of Chief Blair," the TPSB said in a statement issued Wednesday.

The board says Blair will finish out his current term, which expires in April 2015.

"Chief Blair has had a long and distinguished policing career with the Toronto Police Service," the TSPB said. "He is widely viewed as a champion of community policing and a leader in law enforcement around the world."

At City Hall, Ford was quick to react to news of Blair's looming departure.

"I want to thank Chief Bill Blair for his service to the people of this great city for the last 10 years," Ford said.

"There was a decision made from the police services board today that his contract will not be renewed and this is a decision that was made strictly by the police services board.

"I look forward to working with the next police chief in April of next year."

Ford — who was openly critical of Blair for the ongoing Project Brazen 2 investigation that focused on him — declined to comment further and whether he supports the decision.

"It was a police board's decision," Ford said.

Sun News : Police chief who clashed with Rob Ford over criminal investigation gets the boot

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I don't think my eyes could roll any further back into my head after reading such a misleading headline.

This is no where near 'getting the boot'.

And that's why no one takes the sun seriously.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby

TORONTO — After a decade at the helm of the country's largest police service, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, who oversaw a high-profile investigation of Mayor Rob Ford, will be forced out in April.

Toronto Police Services Board members met behind closed doors today to discuss the future of the city's top cop and have decided not to renew Blair's contract for a third term.

"After considerable discussion related to the Toronto Police Service's continuing need for organizational renewal the Board has decided not to renew the employment agreement of Chief Blair," the TPSB said in a statement issued Wednesday.

The board says Blair will finish out his current term, which expires in April 2015.

"Chief Blair has had a long and distinguished policing career with the Toronto Police Service," the TSPB said. "He is widely viewed as a champion of community policing and a leader in law enforcement around the world."

At City Hall, Ford was quick to react to news of Blair's looming departure.

"I want to thank Chief Bill Blair for his service to the people of this great city for the last 10 years," Ford said.

"There was a decision made from the police services board today that his contract will not be renewed and this is a decision that was made strictly by the police services board.

"I look forward to working with the next police chief in April of next year."

Ford — who was openly critical of Blair for the ongoing Project Brazen 2 investigation that focused on him — declined to comment further and whether he supports the decision.

"It was a police board's decision," Ford said.

Sun News : Police chief who clashed with Rob Ford over criminal investigation gets the boot

He has been their long enough but he was a sight better than the piece of garbage before him.

Fantino is pure scum.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I don't think my eyes could roll any further back into my head after reading such a misleading headline.

This is no where near 'getting the boot'.

And that's why no one takes the sun seriously.

euphemisms are funny eh. :lol:

anyay, don't be mad. they got rid (laid off, let him go, don't want him back) of him. he's not wanted.

Rob Ford nemesis, police Chief Bill Blair, losing job when contract expires

his request for a contract renewal was rejected (behind closed doors) Wednesday.
The police services board offered no substantive reasons in a statement announcing its decision.

Rob Ford nemesis, police Chief Bill Blair, losing job when contract expires

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I thought they might have kept him to spite Rob but clearly they didn't want him around.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Council had a closed door session then informed Blair his contract was not being renewed

But he didn't "get the boot"

Not fukkin much.

Don't have a dog in that fight, or a cat even, but - he got the boot.

das boot.

des toes

there
their
they're
thar
over there
that's their coats
they're coming to get their coats over there.
write (or print) that 20 times before you leave tonight.
And be sure to read the next chapter
gonna be a testicle.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Blair was an incompetent twit and thug. Good riddance for embarrassing the Toronto police with fiascos like the handling of the G20 peaceful protests in 2010.. and incidents like the Street Car Shooting of a teenager last year.

You don't need fools and posers like Blair to run an effective police organization that does not aspire to being paramilitary bullies.. like Officer Bubbles and other idiots who got free reign on on the force. It's no surprise that things got so out of hand with such a dearth of Leadership at the top.

Last edited: