Chiefs and council salaries now posted online


Locutus
+1
#1
WINNIPEG ─ The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has won its five-year battle to get First Nations chiefs and band councillors' salaries posted online.

Beginning Tuesday, in accordance with the First Nations Financial Transparency Act, First Nations chiefs and councillors' salaries will now be published on the Internet.

Colin Craig, the prairie director of the CTF, said after all the work his organization has done on the issue, it is great to see it finally happen.

"It improves accountability; it is basic expectation in a democracy that one would be able to find how much their politicians are making," he said. "We heard back in 2009, that several people on aboriginal reserves couldn't get details on how much their own politicians were making, so that is why we started calling and moving forward with a big push to get Ottawa to change the status quo."

Nationwide, only 18 salaries have been posted online -- in Manitoba, only Buffalo Point and Gamblers First Nations have posted their salaries.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Minister Bernard Valcourt said in a statement on Monday that all the chiefs and councillors in the country are encouraged to file their financial statements as soon as possible. Once they are received, the department will post them.

Craig said prior to this legislation, some band members would often get bullied or risk losing their jobs if they asked about their chief's or councillors' salaries.

"One member actually provided us with a letter they got from their band saying that it was illegal for the government to release the information," he said, noting bands were supposed to be providing those details to their members. "That's one of the benefits of having these details online, everyone can take a look at them and band members can look at the numbers anonymously."


Chiefs and council salaries now posted online | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
 
Grievous
No Party Affiliation
#2
Get after those natives.
 
Twila
+1
#3
I think some Cheifs and council members are going to be answering to a number of there peoples shortly...
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
#4  Top Rated Post
Theressa Spence comes to mind
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

Get after those natives.

Why is holding people who draw taxpayer money accountable considered "Getting after those natives."?
 
Nuggler
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Theressa Spence comes to mind

Easy on her Capt. Hunger strike and all. Probably still weak.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#7
Lol'd reading that bud.

Reminded me that T.S. was probably the only person on record to engage a multi week hunger strike and actually gain weight
 
Nuggler
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Lol'd reading that bud.

Reminded me that T.S. was probably the only person on record to engage a multi week hunger strike and actually gain weight

Cracks me up they bitch and whine with a straight face. Should play poker. Fuk, I'd start laughing and ruin the whole scam.
Hopefully not before the govt. cut us another cheque.
 
Locutus
#9
B.C. First Nation chief was paid almost $1-million last year



A First Nation chief in British Columbia was paid close to $1-million last year, according to salary disclosures that are being released for the first time this week.

Chief Ron Giesbrecht of the Kwikwetlem First Nation is listed as receiving $914,219 in remuneration last year, plus an additional $16,574 in expense reimbursement. Individuals with Indian status who work on a reserve are not required to pay income tax.

nice gig:

B.C. First Nation chief was paid almost $1-million last year - The Globe and Mail




(external - login to view)
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon (external - login to view)
Am I reading this right - Kwikwetlem First Nation chief Ron Giesbrecht pocketed 9.6% of band's total revenue?

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/07/31/john-ivison-ron-giesbrecht-chief-of-80-member-kwikwetlem-first-nation-earned-914219-tax-free-last-year/ …
 
Corduroy
#10
That's more than my chief makes.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

(external - login to view)
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon (external - login to view)
Am I reading this right - Kwikwetlem First Nation chief Ron Giesbrecht pocketed 9.6% of band's total revenue?


Yes... That is the traditional way of their ancestors and the life forms before him... The Chief gets exactly 9.6% of everything (increases based on the greater of CPI or inflation with a minimum escalator clause of 14% biannually notwithstanding)
 
Locutus
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Yes... That is the traditional way of their ancestors and the life forms before him... The Chief gets exactly 9.6% of everything (increases based on the greater of CPI or inflation with a minimum escalator clause of 14% biannually notwithstanding)

*whew* well ya see...I thought I was over-reacting there. I've seen the light now.
 
MHz
#13
. . . . and the winners are????
Do we get the money that goes to the running of said groups but are not part of the Tribes but represent the Government instead? Just so women can see the wage gap if there is one. There probably isn't one, really why would there be one.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

*whew* well ya see...I thought I was over-reacting there. I've seen the light now.

I'm going to bet that is white man's forked tounge doing the talking there rather rather than it being some message in the clouds of smoke that are the traditional way formatting an e-mail type document when a Rez is your address.
 
Locutus
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

. . . . and the winners are????
Do we get the money that goes to the running of said groups but are not part of the Tribes but represent the Government instead? Just so women can see the wage gap if there is one. There probably isn't one, really why would there be one.


I'm going to bet that is white man's forked tounge doing the talking there rather rather than it being some message in the clouds of smoke that are the traditional way formatting an e-mail type document when a Rez is your address.


hey man, say it don't spray it.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

hey man, say it don't spray it.


Careful there bub... Provoke him and you'll soon be accused of war crimes
 
Locutus
#16
(external - login to view)
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon (external - login to view)

Did the BC Liberals negotiate in a $800,000 bonus to Kwikwetiem First Nation chief Ron Giesbrecht?


http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/b-c-chief-ron-giesbrecht-s-1m-pay-very-troubling-minister-says-1.2724365?cmp=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_mediu m=twitter …


bee cee



(external - login to view)
 
Locutus
#17
from your intellectual and morally superior friends at CBC:

First Nations Transparency Act may do more harm than good

First Nations Transparency Act may do more harm than good: Hayden King - Aboriginal - CBC



and then this related uppity tidbit:

“There’s no way a white man’s business would divulge this kind of information on the Internet to anybody,”

Sun News : Buffalo Point chief defends salary (external - login to view)


Tsuu T’ina First Nation defends defiance of federal law requiring salaries disclosure online

Tsuu T’ina First Nation defends defiance of federal law requiring salaries discl (external - login to view)
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#18
Great comments added at the bottom of the article

  • Kevin Donnelly (external - login to view) · Top Commenter · Ottawa, Ontario (external - login to view)There’s no way a white man’s business would divulge this kind of information on the Internet to anybody,” he said.....

    Umm....There is no way a white man's business would be let off paying no taxes and not providing accounting statements.

    Reply (external - login to view) · · 15 (external - login to view) · 2 hours ago (external - login to view)
  • Sue Furlong (external - login to view)Greed and racism I don't object to their wages. I object to their handout from taxpayers. If they can pay those wages then they don't need tax payer handouts.
    Reply (external - login to view) · · 9 (external - login to view) · about an hour ago (external - login to view)
  • Terry Bare (external - login to view) · Top Commenter · Victoria, British Columbia (external - login to view)"White" man's?

    Reply (external - login to view) · · 6 (external - login to view) · 2 hours ago (external - login to view)
    • Toby Denyer (external - login to view) · Top CommenterI know eh, Native bigotry
      Reply (external - login to view) · · 5 (external - login to view) · about an hour ago

  • Ted Ross (external - login to view) · Top Commenter · Miramichi, New Brunswick (external - login to view)The Indian act is a fossil that should be reburied. Governments have resisted changing the act for over a century. It is time to toss it and start again.
    Reply (external - login to view) · · 2 (external - login to view) · 38 minutes ago (external - login to view)
  • Brian Mouland (external - login to view) · Top Commenter · Works at Retired (external - login to view)Jam it Big Chief Parasite!
    Reply (external - login to view) · · 2 (external - login to view) · 35 minutes ago (external - login to view)
  • Larry Winslow (external - login to view) · Top Commenter · Wycliffe College, University of Toronto (external - login to view)What this "Chief" is failing to recognize is that he is a political figure. And as such his income and his work is subject to transparency. Further, if his statements about the Indian businesses leading to self-support, one would wonder if he would be willing to refuse the payments from the Federal Government. Also, he has to understand that any operation receiving assistance from the government is required to be transparent and open about how that money is used.

    It would seem that this "Chief" is afraid that political transparency and transparency that goes with payments from the government of Canada will ultimately reveal some form of corruption in which he may be involved!
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#19
Some of these payments are way out of line and there should be some public
accountability within these communities I agree.
Where I don't agree is the manner in which this is being done. The statements
being made about bullying and that sort of thing were not necessary and they
are offered to the media as a justification on behalf of the government.
All that was required was we are doing this to conform with public information
about who is earning money paid for by the public. The rest of the statements
are there to focus public opinion that paints all leaders with the same brush.
The thing that bothers me most when something like this is focused on in such
a high profile manner the government is often attempting to advert attention
away from other more unpopular things they are doing
 
petros
#20
Why should a subpolictical system not go unaudited and figures not made public?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
#21
Generally because there is something that is unjustifiable or something that needs to be hidden
 
Locutus
#22
(external - login to view)
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon (external - login to view)

Tell me CBC elite like Mansbridge aren't watching these FN chiefs' salaries being exposed and getting very nervous?


Kwikwetlem Chief Ron Giesbrecht should resign, band councillor says - British Columbia - CBC News
 
Corduroy
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Some of these payments are way out of line and there should be some public
accountability within these communities I agree.
Where I don't agree is the manner in which this is being done. The statements
being made about bullying and that sort of thing were not necessary and they
are offered to the media as a justification on behalf of the government.
All that was required was we are doing this to conform with public information
about who is earning money paid for by the public. The rest of the statements
are there to focus public opinion that paints all leaders with the same brush.
The thing that bothers me most when something like this is focused on in such
a high profile manner the government is often attempting to advert attention
away from other more unpopular things they are doing

The Chinese community party does these kinds of corruption probes all the time.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

The Chinese community party does these kinds of corruption probes all the time.


A guilty verdict ends up as a death sentence in China
 
Corduroy
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

A guilty verdict ends up as a death sentence in China

In Canada you get to be in the senate.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

f

“There’s no way a white man’s business would divulge this kind of information on the Internet to anybody,”

It isn't a "business", it's a public office.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Generally because there is something that is unjustifiable or something that needs to be hidden

Which is why no government ever wants to open the books or allow for publishing of expense records. They hide that reason behind a lot of excuses and misdirection, but that's always the real reason. And they're all on board with it, why else would the only thing you'll ever see every party and member agree upon to be salary raises for themselves. Usually conducted as the very last order of business before they adjourn for months.

Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

In Canada you get to be in the senate.

Maybe we should adopt Chinese policy.

Kidding. Sort of.
 
Locutus
#27
 
petros
#28
Chief Frowning Kitty of the Cries-on-tivi First Nation.
 
Locutus
+1
#29
or, Chief Sour Puss and Boots.
 
petros
#30
 
no new posts