B.C. band now lays claim to water off Northern Gateway pipeline

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
VANCOUVER — The Gitga’at First Nation will ask the Federal Court of Appeal to recognize the band’s aboriginal title along the proposed tanker route where ships would be carrying oil from the Northern Gateway pipeline as part of a legal fight against the proposal.

The band filed an application with the court on Monday, bringing to at least five the number of groups seeking judicial review of the federal cabinet’s decision approving the project.

“The Gitga’at put forward evidence of title to specific areas in the Douglas Channel,” said their lawyer, Michael Lee Ross.

Last month, the Supreme Court of Canada recognized the Tsilhqot’in nations’ aboriginal title to more than 1,700 square kilometres of land in the B.C. Interior. Theirs was the first such recognition in the country.

more

B.C. band now lays claim to water off Northern Gateway pipeline after success in court over rights to land | National Post

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
So, will they form their own coast guard? How about fish cops, a good business. Or will they as usual, expect the people of Canada to do all the paying?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
just one more example of why we should just buy em out, and cut em loose.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
GREAT NEWS!! Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline facing legal doom: Eight new First Nations lawsuits! -SHARE! "Enbridge is facing a startling number of new First Nations lawsuits, challenging the constitutionality of the Harper’s government decision in June to approve the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline.
Eight First Nations -- from Haida Gwaii to Yinka Dene territory west of Prince George – have launched legal challenges, since Friday. Nine more, were launched earlier...

Enbridge faces "wave" of new B.C. First Nations lawsuits - YouTube

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
DOuglas channel belongs to the Haslia.

GREAT NEWS!! Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline facing legal doom: Eight new First Nations lawsuits! -SHARE! "Enbridge is facing a startling number of new First Nations lawsuits, challenging the constitutionality of the Harper’s government decision in June to approve the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline.
Eight First Nations -- from Haida Gwaii to Yinka Dene territory west of Prince George – have launched legal challenges, since Friday. Nine more, were launched earlier...

Great news if you are a white lawyer anyway. Which bunch of taxpayers is financing all the legal action? Can't be indians because they don't pay taxes.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Greenpeace and Tides Foundation are wasting their money on these lawyers.

FN land in addition to the ports and waterways are a direct Fed responsibility, Further, the Feds can deem these projects in the National Interest and force them through without the voluntary approval of the FNs.

We've bee through this Cliffy.... Your blockade is doomed.

Also, it was the regulatory body that gave Northern Gateway the approval, not the gvt... The Feds will step in and force it through when the time is right - then you can thump your chest, rail at the heavens and piss and moan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Raging again? This is not good for your personality disorder.

Have you read up on Section 27 of the NEB act?

It'll make you and the TV Indians cry.

DOuglas channel belongs to the Haslia.

Great news if you are a white lawyer anyway. Which bunch of taxpayers is financing all the legal action? Can't be indians because they don't pay taxes.

It belongs to all Canadians.

They are paying for lawyers with oh so green indoor grown marijuana.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Civilization, industrialization, a mindless consumer society - all insane, demented, seriously fukked up. I see you are well adjusted to it.

Thanks Uncle Recluse.

Coming from you it has deep meaning to me.

Say hi to Auntie Social for me.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Civilization, industrialization, a mindless consumer society - all insane, demented, seriously fukked up. I see you are well adjusted to it.

That is what keeps the dollars rolling in.so we can hopefully have abetter standard of living for our grandchildren, what could possibly be more important than that?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I find it humorous that Cliffie speaks for natives. Has anyone told him what i have had to tell numerous of my own people? Natives had no written language, nada, zero! Anybody remember when they invented the wheel? Remembrance was their only way of saving or passing along information. Many lefties seem to think the natives are smarter than rocket scientists right now but the vast majority of them are so unschooled that it is impossible. Quit telling them they excel and tell them to get educated in more than blowing smoke beating ****ing drums whilst spending working people's money! There are many natives out there that never show up at these BS blockades or whine to lawyers, i am one of them and it rips me a new *** to see the rape of a people.