Olivia Chow vows handgun ban

Locutus
your moral and intellectual superior

TORONTO - Olivia Chow came out Monday pledging to support a handgun ban if she's elected mayor.

"There is no reason why anyone needs a handgun in a big city like ours," Chow said.

"We need better gun control. We have a mayor that for the last four years justified the use of guns, he opposed the long gun registry. What I want to do is work with big city mayors to tighten control so there is no illegal guns coming from the States."

In a press conference at Ephraim's Place in North York, Chow pledged to support police-community partnerships, expanding the use of interdisciplinary teams like the mobile crisis intervention team and repeated her promise to hire 5,000 young people for after-school programs.

Olivia Chow vows handgun ban | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+8
#2  Top Rated Post
Seems to me handguns have been banned. Unless Olivia has invented some sort of means to close Pandora's box, a ban means as much now as it did 20 years ago

Nuggler
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Seems to me handguns have been banned. Unless Olivia has invented some sort of means to close Pandora's box, a ban means as much now as it did 20 years ago

Right ya are, Mr. Wolf. Handgun registration law - ban goes all the way back to Montmorincey of the Mounties or whomever. Chow Chow needs to read some Cdn. history............or just use google.

Bit of a poser, eh.

Unfortunately so were the idiots who instigated the long gun registration law.. She wants it back also.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...70810081,d.cWc (external - login to view)

Now if there were some way to keep handguns or guns in general, out the hands of baddies, I'd be all for it. She's just spouting rhetoric, hoping for a media wave. Hope she gets one........a wave bye bye

B00Mer
Republican
+2
Huh, tried in Chicago.. that worked well.

Criminals don't care about Handgun Bans...

Does it really matter anyhow, you can't use a gun for self defense in Canada anyhow.. someone breaks into your home in Canada and you shoot'em, you go to prison.

DaSleeper
+1
Right you are.....from'63 t0 '69 I had a permit to carry for target shooting and "the protection of life".. The then local Police chief, a real nice guy, said he couldn't sign off on the protection of life any more, since I didn't have any physical disabilities, and I didn't need or carry a firearm in town, suggested that I get a prospector's licence to carry in the bush, which I did, until 2000, when I retired.....
Since then, any side arm I carry, if needed, would have to be illegal...........

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Does it really matter anyhow, you can't use a gun for self defense in Canada anyhow.. someone breaks into your home in Canada and you shoot'em, you go to prison.

Not if you remove the evidence.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Now if there were some way to keep handguns or guns in general, out the hands of baddies, I'd be all for it. She's just spouting rhetoric, hoping for a media wave. Hope she gets one........a wave bye bye

The media will buy it hook line and sinker. There is barely a brain among all of them. Bet it will make front page of the Toronto Star Enquirer.

Colpy
Conservative
+3
Olivia Chow is an idiot.

Just call me Captain Obvious.

petros
+4
Ban Olivia Chow!

Corduroy
+2
Oh, now she's gone and pissed off the wannabe Americans.

petros
+1
What do you want to be when you grow up?

DaSleeper
+1
We can envy their 2nd amendment right and still be proud Canadians.........

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Don't piss yourself now, but you do live in America... so you're already American.

Do you mean the wannabe US Citizens vs a Canadian Citizen, which I hold citizenship to both..

America..
Last edited by B00Mer; Jul 14th, 2014 at 04:40 PM..

Corduroy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

We can envy their 2nd amendment right and still be proud Canadians.........

Nope.

Colpy
Conservative

No.

We in Canada share a constitutional heritage with England. That heritage includes an ancient right to keep arms for self-defense, as allowed by law.

It has NOTHING to do with the USA.

It has everything to do with the ancient right to self defense, and the means to defend one's self.

Free men keep arms.

Nope.

....because we don't need their Second Amendment, we have own own right, allbeit a limited one.....

petros
+1
When the King of France kicks in your door just offer up a warm, heart felt "bong jour".

Corduroy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

No.

We in Canada share a constitutional heritage with England. That heritage includes an ancient right to keep arms for self-defense, as allowed by law.

It has NOTHING to do with the USA.

It has everything to do with the ancient right to self defense, and the means to defend one's self.

Free men keep arms.

Oh, get over it. Maybe you won't admit it to yourself, but I that's just some retroactive hoop jumping bull**** you do to cover up the fact that it all boils down to you growing up watching cowboy shows on TV... or for you Colpy was it the radio? Wait.. wild west show? Did Buffalo Bill come to town and shot a hole in yer pa's cap?

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

what did you do with your arsenal now you've moved back to the land of the sane?

eh1eh
+2
Even I think this is a brain dead move.

Colpy
Conservative
+1

Oh, get over it. Maybe you won't admit it to yourself, but I that's just some retroactive hoop jumping bull**** you do to cover up the fact that it all boils down to you growing up watching cowboy shows on TV... or for you Colpy was it the radio? Wait.. wild west show? Did Buffalo Bill come to town and shot a hole in yer pa's cap?

Naw....actually it comes from being raised by the two best individuals I have ever met, honest, compassionate, patient, tolerant, very, very religious back woods Baptists.....in a house full of guns.

Actually it comes from a fascination with history, and a recognition that firearms and freedom are parallel developments.

Actually, it comes from an interest in current events, in political development and culture........and the realization that the existence of an armed population in the canary in the mine.....when they start taking a free man's (or woman's) arms from him (or her), the rest of their rights are soon to follow.

Actually, it comes from the influence of great political thinkers....John Locke, William Blackstone, Thomas Jefferson........or in the twentieth century, George Orwell who said

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Which neatly sums it up, thank you.

On this particular subject, you have no clue. I assume that is due to a huge gap in your education.

petros
I grew up around fruit picking hippys and Marines that stationed themselves in Kelowna during the Nixon years.

Corduroy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Naw....actually it comes from being raised by the two best individuals I have ever met, honest, compassionate, patient, tolerant, very, very religious back woods Baptists.....in a house full of guns.

That paints a pretty picture.

Quote:

Actually it comes from a fascination with history, and a recognition that firearms and freedom are parallel developments.

You need to read more history.

Quote:

Actually, it comes from an interest in current events, in political development and culture........and the realization that the existence of an armed population in the canary in the mine.....when they start taking a free man's (or woman's) arms from him (or her), the rest of their rights are soon to follow.

I'm sure you're aware of the widespread and ongoing violations of rights going on in the United States in the past 13 years. The US government seems to have skipped the 'take yer gun' step. How can Obama just spy on everyone and execute citizens without trial and not take down the second amendment first?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I grew up around fruit picking hippys and Marines that stationed themselves in Kelowna during the Nixon years.

I grew up on the wild frontier. Raised by deeply religious coyotes on a steady diet of cactus, tumbleweed and Jesus Christ.

DaSleeper

Nope.

For all your proud Canadian rhetoric you spew you don't miss a chance to defend this American president against those that would disagree with him?...........

petros
+2

I'm sure you're aware of the widespread and ongoing violations of rights going on in the United States in the past 13 years. The US government seems to have skipped the 'take yer gun' step. How can Obama just spy on everyone and execute citizens without trial and not take down the second amendment first?

I grew up on the wild frontier. Raised by deeply religious coyotes on a steady diet of cactus, tumbleweed and Jesus Christ.

Poor thing, you still haven't gotten rid of the mange either.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Even I think this is a brain dead move.

What? Why? Surely all those criminals will abide by this law!

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

I take it you are Ok with the government trampling peoples rights and stealing private property.

petros
And the false security of a four minute response time.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

What? Why? Surely all those criminals will abide by this law!

Chow is one of the criminals.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Chow is one of the criminals.

All politicians are criminals and rhetoric is their weapon of choice.

Colpy
Conservative

.I've spent 40 years reading history. And yes, thank you, I will read more. But I already know a few things about the basic rights of all persons.

As for the USA, I fully agree their freedom has shrunk over the last 13 years, as it has in Canada. And I don't like it. I think it is counter-productive. However, the USA is still one of the freest nations on earth,. As long as there is a functioning democracy and judicial system, it is not time to man the barricades. It is always best to use the ballot box, the cartridge box is for when the ballot box is no longer available. Perfection, as Plato said, exists only in the mind of God. An armed population is not a perfect solution, it is a deterrent to tyranny, not a "magic bullet", so to speak.