Ontario Liberals curb more spending, reduce deficit

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Liberals to do more to curb spending, Sousa says

Armed with a majority, the Liberals will do more to control spending and balance the budget now that they no longer have to deal with the non-stop drama of a hung parliament, says Finance Minister Charles Sousa.

His comments came after delivering a prebudget speech at the Empire Club at the Royal York Hotel. On Monday, Mr. Sousa is reintroducing the budget, whose failure to pass the previous legislature in April triggered last month’s election. The ambitious document includes $29-billion for transit and transportation, billions in grants for business, and the groundwork for a new provincial pension plan.

“Having a majority mandate now gives us a little bit more initiative to implement things and expedite them more quickly,” he said Thursday. “That stability in the government plays not only to [credit] rating agencies but to investors as well.”

The big-spending budget caused consternation for bond raters Moody’s, who changed their outlook on Ontario to “negative” last week, contending the province has not shown enough progress on its plan to erase the $12.5-billion deficit in three years. But Mr. Sousa sounded nonplussed.

“I know the agencies … have expressed concern about our determination to meet those targets,” he said in his address. “I accept that. It’s their job. And it’s my job and that of our government to deliver on our plan.”

He promised to sell off real estate and other assets, as well as make structural reforms to programs to save money. The Liberals are also hiking income taxes on the rich to bring in more cash. Such things will be easier now that the government controls the legislature.

The NDP, on whose support the Liberals depended to govern in the last parliament, is generally against selling public assets. New Democrat MPP Catherine Fife argued it would be more valuable in the long run for the government to hold onto real estate and rent it: “It’s hugely concerning – it’s a one-time win.”

The Progressive Conservatives, meanwhile, accused the Liberals of whistling past the fiscal graveyard. “They’ve had plenty of opportunity to change their ways and instead we see them increasing taxes and increasing the deficit at the same time,” finance critic Vic Fedeli said.

But the confidence of a parliamentary majority seemed to animate Mr. Sousa, who took a breezy tone in his speech. Outlining the government’s plan to build more public transit, he joked about his own commute from his suburban home to the legislature.

“I’ve suffered from something I like to call ‘acute traffic congestion.’ It hurts. It’s an unpleasant condition that keeps you away from your family,” he said.

While laying out optimistic economic growth forecasts for Ontario, Mr. Sousa singled out a group of civil servants from the Finance Department in the audience. He exhorted the bureaucrats – known for their dire warnings about the state of the province’s books – to cheer up.

“Come on, guys,” he said. “Take those happy pills.”

Follow Adrian Morrow on Twitter: @adrianmorrow

Liberals to do more to curb spending, Sousa says - The Globe and Mail

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: Ontario Liberals to curb more spending, reduce deficit

And everyone believes them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Liberals to do more to curb spending, Sousa says

Funny, they didn't mention what they'd be curbing spending on

The Liberals are also hiking income taxes on the rich to bring in more cash. Such things will be easier now that the government controls the legislature.

The term that you should familiarize yourself with is 'flight of capital'. You'll be hearing that a lot in the next few years

The NDP, on whose support the Liberals depended to govern in the last parliament, is generally against selling public assets. New Democrat MPP Catherine Fife argued it would be more valuable in the long run for the government to hold onto real estate and rent it: “It’s hugely concerning – it’s a one-time win.”

Bingo.

The gvt will be buying that R/E back at a premium in a few years

The Progressive Conservatives, meanwhile, accused the Liberals of whistling past the fiscal graveyard. “They’ve had plenty of opportunity to change their ways and instead we see them increasing taxes and increasing the deficit at the same time,” finance critic Vic Fedeli said.

Remember these words Flossy... They will have some strong meaning in the not-so-distant-future

“Come on, guys,” he said. “Take those happy pills.”

They go really well with the purple Kool-Aid the gvt is drinking

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Governments selling realestate is always a good thing. It is now revenue generating forever. Much better than buying prime land to make more parks which will cost money forever.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Governments selling realestate is always a good thing. It is now revenue generating forever. Much better than buying prime land to make more parks which will cost money forever.

That all depends on what land is being sold... There is a good chance that the gvt will be the ones leasing back that space from the new owners

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That all depends on what land is being sold... There is a good chance that the gvt will be the ones leasing back that space from the new owners

As in political nepitism?

When I think of government selling land I see farmland being put back intoproduction, vacant lots being turned into housing and excess land around ports and airports being turned into job producing industry, not building yet more unneeded office space for redundant government employees.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wasn't somebody complaining about Harris selling stuff to make the budger 'appear' balanced? Selling off here is no different. It will hide the true mess the province is in for a couple of years.

How rich do the Lieberals consider rich? Anybody making over minimum wage?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
As in political nepitism?

No doubt... A Liberal tradition

When I think of government selling land I see farmland being put back intoproduction, vacant lots being turned into housing and excess land around ports and airports being turned into job producing industry, not building yet more unneeded office space for redundant government employees.

More often than not, in my opinion, you will find more land that is being used in some form than land that is vacant... Parkland-style property is unlikely to be sold for development.... As far as open land that was earmarked for development, that ultimately was targeted for sale at some point anyways

Wasn't somebody complaining about Harris selling stuff to make the budger 'appear' balanced? Selling off here is no different. It will hide the true mess the province is in for a couple of years.

How rich do the Lieberals consider rich? Anybody making over minimum wage?

Funny how that works, eh?

The threshold for defining 'the rich' creeps down the scale every year and deeper into the middle class.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Libs have a track record of always telling the truth.
They all have a habit of distorting it ... and the gullible swallow every word. I voted Harris - ONCE.

Unless Hydro is a sneaky tax, get rid of the internal bureaucracy of cost-inflating "companies" and straighten out the mess in billing

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
lol @ present tense OP and dreamlike future tense actual article.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Funny, they didn't mention what they'd be curbing spending on.
His comments came after delivering a prebudget speech at the Empire Club at the Royal York Hotel
Definetly not cutting down facility rentals. Even in SK's winter Gov here will will make announcements from the front steps of legislature FOR FREE with oodles of free parking for satellite trucks.

Did you people vote for politicians or royalty?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Conners gonna con.

Ontario expects fairness, not sad rhetoric from Ottawa

Recently on this page Federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver made misleading accusations about the state of federal-provincial relations in Canada, but he was right about one thing: the numbers speak for themselves. The current system of federal-provincial fiscal arrangements is working against, not for, the people of Ontario. Our share of Federal fiscal transfers falls short by $1.2 billion this year alone.

The Federal government is indeed balancing its books on the backs of the hardworking people of this province. Since 2006, the federal government has taken more than 110 adverse unilateral actions against people and businesses across Ontario. In addition, each year, the share of the federal revenue raised in Ontario is significantly higher than the share of federal spending in Ontario. Our province contributes $11 billion more to the federal government than we receive in return – this represents about $850 per person in lost services. The Federal government must stop pickpocketing the people of this Province, and instead help invest in and protect the schools, hospitals, and public transit that Ontarians expect and deserve.

In Canada, there is no more staunch supporter of our nation’s federalism than Ontario. But this support cannot be taken for granted. Ontario’s sustained economic growth needs a Federal government that joins us at the table and does more to help, not more to hurt. We need a federal government that is true to its word. Mr. Oliver notes that Equalization is a formula driven program – and that he doesn’t make the decisions on how it works. But the truth of the matter is that when Ontario recently became eligible for billions in additional equalization funding, it was his government that changed the formula to disadvantage Ontario. Further to these actions, in 2014–15 our province will experience a year-over-year decline of $641 million in major transfers. Over the last four years, the federal government paid a total of $2.2 billion to other provinces to specifically prevent their transfers from falling. This year, when Ontario was the only province facing a decline and was eligible for the program, the federal government ended the practice of transfer protection payments. To add insult to injury, they have also unilaterally removed an estimated $8 billion in support for health care in Ontario by 2023-24, placing a greater burden on the Province’s ability to meet our health care needs.

Mr. Oliver knows well that his government has created the illusion of a fiscally sustainable federal government by pulling the rug out from under the Provinces. Deep and damaging cuts by the federal government have put all of our shared progress at risk and their actions run contrary to their own rhetoric about the need to balance budgets.

Ontario expects fairness, not sad rhetoric from Ottawa | Financial Post

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You would have to look at revenues from the investment into the ring of fire.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You would have to look at revenues from the investment into the ring of fire.

Those revenues will go a very long way towards the direct, no-questions-asked, cash oil production subsidies that AB and Sask producers are entitled to.

Maybe time to start a new Jr company and organize massive management fees again.

Hey Petros, you up for a new start-up... We'd probably have to have a Director's meeting Belize for a month or so to organize properly

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Those revenues will go a very long way towards the direct, no-questions-asked, cash oil production subsidies that AB and Sask producers are entitled to.

Maybe time to start a new Jr company and organize massive management fees again.

Hey Petros, you up for a new start-up... We'd probably have to have a Director's meeting Belize for a month or so to organize properly

OooO I like Belize. Great place to spend free money that isn't free.

It's only $2 a head.