New Ontario PC leader


Walter
+1
#1
Who will it be? There are a few people in the ON PC caucus that were re-elected who might fit the bill, Christine Elliot and Lisa MacLeod come to mind. However, there is a very capable fellow, re-elected on Thursday, representing the Kitchener-Conestoga riding. His name is Michael Harris. His namesake won two overwhelming majorities for the PC before spineless Ernie took over.
Last edited by Walter; Jun 14th, 2014 at 09:51 AM..
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#2
I'd like to see Vic Fidelli go for it. He's done well as mayor of North Bay and has a proven record of doing the research (except for an instance where he quoted an errant source that said all the Northlander equipment had been sold off - when it could clearly be seen from the bridge in his own home town)
Last edited by lone wolf; Jun 14th, 2014 at 11:16 AM..Reason: didn't wanna be nit-picked for a typo
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+1
#3
A post-retirement position for Harper?
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Who will it be? There are a few people in the ON PC caucus that were re-elected who might fit the bill, Christine Elliot and Lisa MacLeod come to mind. However, there is a very capable fellow, re-elected on Thursday, representing the Kitchener-Conestoga riding. His name is Michael Harris. His namesake won two overwhelming majorities for the PC before spineless Ernie took over.

Michael Harris is good.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+5 / -1
#5  Top Rated Post
I wonder if it matters the Tories in Ontario politics are no longer relevant and the polls
just proved that. I knew they would take a beating but not that bad. Their policies would
have done severe harm to the economy of Ontario which is already challenged.
People are going back to being more progressive and as someone calls him "The
Shiny Pony" has a real chance of winning cause the Tories have worn out their welcome.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I wonder if it matters the Tories in Ontario politics are no longer relevant and the polls
just proved that. I knew they would take a beating but not that bad. Their policies would
have done severe harm to the economy of Ontario which is already challenged.
People are going back to being more progressive and as someone calls him "The
Shiny Pony" has a real chance of winning cause the Tories have worn out their welcome.

but the liberals are going to spend us into hell, we are so screwed

why can't someone come along without a party line to tow and a balanced approach...how hard can it be to find someone with a brain, a heart and who is honest and whose agenda it is to make us float again

apparently impossible

and now that b*tch is free and clear after wasting billions... she should be in jail not running the province

and you are 100% right we do not vote people into power we vote people out....it's the Canadian way...
omg what a disaster...where is all this money going to come from...a balanced budget by 2017...we'll be Greece by then
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I wonder if it matters the Tories in Ontario politics are no longer relevant and the polls
just proved that. I knew they would take a beating but not that bad. Their policies would
have done severe harm to the economy of Ontario which is already challenged.
People are going back to being more progressive and as someone calls him "The
Shiny Pony" has a real chance of winning cause the Tories have worn out their welcome.

You haven't seen damaged economy yet. I suspect you will shortly. And if The Shiny Pony gets in, you will likely see it throughout Canada with a carbon tax to boot.

Of course, if she screws up really quickly, it may help the federal level.

Personally, I would rather have the Bearded One rather then Trudeau.

And I would probably have voted for Bob Rae next election too. I agree Harper has gotten a bit stale but maybe in 2019 the Lieberals will have a respectable alternative.

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

but the liberals are going to spend us into hell, we are so screwed

why can't someone come along without a party line to tow and a balanced approach...how hard can it be to find someone with a brain, a heart and who is honest and whose agenda it is to make us float again

apparently impossible

and now that b*tch is free and clear after wasting billions... she should be in jail not running the province

and you are 100% right we do not vote people into power we vote people out....it's the Canadian way...
omg what a disaster...where is all this money going to come from...a balanced budget by 2017...we'll be Greece by then

I grew up in SK. And the NDP there at that time took that approach. Tommy Douglas believed you could not truly help those in need if you were borrowing money to do it. If you were borrowing money, you were at the banker's mercy. So he and successive NDP governments balanced the books. This has not happened in NDP governments elsewhere. They kind of forgot that part of the playbook. You can have it both ways if you are smart about it. Truthfully, none of the current parties are too smart.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

You haven't seen damaged economy yet. I suspect you will shortly. And if The Shiny Pony gets in, you will likely see it throughout Canada with a carbon tax to boot.

Of course, if she screws up really quickly, it may help the federal level.

Personally, I would rather have the Bearded One rather then Trudeau.

And I would probably have voted for Bob Rae next election too. I agree Harper has gotten a bit stale but maybe in 2019 the Lieberals will have a respectable alternative.



I grew up in SK. And the NDP there at that time took that approach. Tommy Douglas believed you could not truly help those in need if you were borrowing money to do it. If you were borrowing money, you were at the banker's mercy. So he and successive NDP governments balanced the books. This has not happened in NDP governments elsewhere. They kind of forgot that part of the playbook. You can have it both ways if you are smart about it. Truthfully, none of the current parties are too smart.

oh you are so right.... balance the budget first... there are public sector jobs that can be cut, yes...and Hudak was not going to slash and burn but he came on like that...going to slash jobs...obviously every public sector person felt threatened personally...thus the result

I really wanted a minority government... but fear drove the vote and now look where we are....

we have an awesome NDPer here by the name of Fife...she got back in...Harris is good, he got back in...I don't know about the Lib in our area, she's a news person...time will tell I guess but I'm not super keen on her really.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

. but fear drove the vote and now look where we are....

Fear and apathy. 48% didn't vote at all. The popular vote really didn't change much either. It just changed a bit in a couple ridings which made the difference.

FPTP FTW. (sarcasm)
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Fear and apathy. 48% didn't vote at all. The popular vote really didn't change much either. It just changed a bit in a couple ridings which made the difference.

FPTP FTW. (sarcasm)

many many die hard conservatives that I know of made a decision based upon conscience for their relatives and voted liberal, or NDP, or Green...they have grandchildren, or children, or spouses in the public sector...Hudak killed it with the job cut scare...he did not explain it as a five year plan...

conservatives killed themselves with their hardline approach

now we will all pay the price with these morons at the helm with a MAJORITY government

Ontario has done this before...that's how NDP took a majority because Peterson got cocky and called an early election...they were so high in the polls...they didn't listen to the people who said no, they didn't want an election...they got booted and Rae walked in, shocked out of his mind.

That was another freaking nightmare of a night... we were sending a warning message and NDP just swept through the province like a wild fire. I voted NDP that year...as a protest to both liberal and conservative.

We need political reform in the worst way. We need balance. No party seems to have it.
 
tay
#11
They could start by looking for someone with a personality a notch above the no name corner lot used car salesman type.


And just like the Republicans in the USA, the demographic is shifting and their Corporate friendly approach isn't selling well so their whole platform has to change, which wouldn't make sense.


If they become more Centrist they are Liberal.


If the become Lefties they are in NDP territory.


Neither move will happen so I think they are done.




I like the comments from the 2009 convention where Hudak was crowned........








New Ontario PC Leader
 
petros
+2
#12
Go for it Wally. Toss your hat in the ring.
 
mentalfloss
+2
#13
Wally!

Wally!

Wally!

Wally!
 

Similar Threads

20
New Ontario PC Leader
by Walter | Jun 28th, 2009
47
What do you look for in a party leader?
by Tyler | Feb 10th, 2009
18
19
our leader *sigh*
by fubbleskag | Nov 30th, 2004
no new posts