Harper confirms elections should be bought

mentalfloss
'Democracy'

Tories ask donors to dig deep for 2015 election battle

The governing Conservatives are asking supporters to dig deep for what they are billing as the most expensive political campaign to date, the 2015 election battle the Tories are trying to frame as a choice between Stephen Harper’s economic record and “inexperienced Liberals like Justin Trudeau” or the “leftist ideologues like Thomas Mulcair.”

The Conservatives are warning contributors they need to start fighting the next election now, citing the addition of 30 new seats in the Commons, which will expand to 338 MPs from 308, as well as the growth of social media.

“This increase in the number of seats, plus the need to expand Conservative communications and outreach … will require the biggest campaign budget in Conservative Party history to ensure victory next year,” the Tories wrote in a recent missive to significant party donors that was obtained by The Globe and Mail.

Although there are spending caps during campaign periods, parties do not face similar limits on advertising expenditures before the writ drops.

“To compete for these extra new seats in 2015, our outreach and communications budget must expand too – and we must do it now. If we wait until next year, it may be too late,” the party says in an accompanying fundraising letter.

Mr. Harper’s Tories, who will be asking voters to elect them to government for the fourth time in a row, appear to be unnerved by what they regard as fawning media coverage of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau.

They blame concentration of ownership in the media for this state of affairs – a complaint that forms a central part of this message to key supporters.

“Despite all his verbal flubs, lack of experience, and his failure to outline any practical economic policy for Canada, Justin Trudeau is still awarded a shining halo by liberal-minded journalists and pundits who are bedazzled by their own hopes of a Liberal second coming,” says the letter by Conservative Party director of political operations Fred DeLorey.

The root of the problem, the Tories tell supporters, is that a few corporations control much of Canadian media.

“Over 80 per cent of Canadian media is owned by a cartel of just five corporations – each of which owns dozens of publications and networks under various subsidiaries and affiliates,” Mr. DeLorey’s letter says.

“The Canadian newspaper industry today is largely controlled by a small number of individual or corporate owners, which often own the television networks.”

This concern about concentration of ownership in Canada’s media has not surfaced in the policy-making priorities of the Conservative government since it took power more than eight years ago. Still, the Tories tell supporters it’s a significant obstacle.

“Media convergence has greatly complicated our Conservative Party efforts to present the unfiltered facts and foundations behind our policies for economic growth, our faith in family values and our commitment to jobs, free trade and prosperity,” Mr. DeLorey wrote.

He noted good economic news such as March, 2014, job growth and asked “how much of that good news has come to you in the press and media?”

“The official campaign for re-election of Stephen Harper and our Conservative majority government won’t start until next year – but in the media it seems it has already begun,” he said.

Mr. DeLorey said the party has to develop a new digital strategy for advertising and outreach that takes into account the the proliferation of platforms including smart phones, tablets and social media.

The party is asking key donors to fill out a “National News Media Evaluation Survey” that rates newspapers and TV outlets by their perceived political bias and asks whether supporters believe, for instance, that “the CBC costs taxpayers too much and its operations should be privatized.”

In the survey, the Tories test-market campaign messages to see which makes the “strongest case” for re-electing their party: one that plays up Mr. Harper’s leadership, another that sticks to his record and a third that savages political rivals such as “inexperienced Liberals like Justin Trudeau or leftist ideologues like Thomas Mulcair.”

Mr. DeLorey did not return requests for comment Wednesday.

Tories ask donors to dig deep for 2015 election battle - The Globe and Mail
Last edited by mentalfloss; May 22nd, 2014 at 08:30 AM..

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Yes, all parties do it. Even the Lieberals. Now is a good time to start preparing for an election next year.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
It is. I haven't got much past "Heave Steve." Jury's out on Trudeau, but it ain't looking good. Not sure who the local NDP candidate is yet.

relic
Free Thinker
+2 / -2
#4  Top Rated Post
I'd vote for uncle Ho ahead of that lying sack of **** that's driving now !

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Man, you got Waltered!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Or we could keep it Canadian with Maurice (Mom) Boucher. He'd approve of the purchase and we'd know his agenda up front

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Man, you got Waltered!

So did I.

Walter sure hates the truth.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Elections have been bought or stolen since elections began.

Locutus
+1
shocking

mentalfloss
Sheople

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Anyone but Harper I will be watching to see who is the best alternative in my riding
This issue is how do we get rid to the present government. In my view its the only
issue.

Walter
How much will the Libtards be spending to win the next election?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Anyone but Harper I will be watching to see who is the best alternative in my riding
This issue is how do we get rid to the present government. In my view its the only
issue.

Be careful what you wish for. last time that happened in BC we wound up with 10 dismal years of dipper mismanagement that destroyed the provincial economy and here we are 13 years later still dealing with the mess they left behind.

petros
BC has always been screwed.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

How much will the Libtards be spending to win the next election?

Now more than ever because of the Prickly Curmudgeons.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

BC has always been screwed.

Life was good when WAC ran the province.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Be careful what you wish for. last time that happened in BC we wound up with 10 dismal years of dipper mismanagement that destroyed the provincial economy and here we are 13 years later still dealing with the mess they left behind.

I'm more baffled why Grumpy is blaming BC's current situation on Ottawa and has this fantasy that someone replacing Harper will deliver Utopia to your province

petros

It sucked back then too.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Yep, and we didn't see it at the time. But I learned one thing from it- you can't spend money you don't got!

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It sucked back then too.

We probably thought so but we didn't have the sh*t going on we have today.

Nowadays in B.C. the Gov't is bribing workers to sign contracts in a timely manner, but of course they prefer the term "signing bonus" to bribes. In any other context you go to jail for this type of sh*t, but not our illustrious Gov't. Gordon Campbell started this sh*t about 6 years ago and the N.D.P. leader (Carole James) "was in bed" with him on it.

petros
Just think of the industry BC could have if it weren't half the cost to set up shop in Walla Walla utilizing BC taxpayer built and operated hydro.

Praxius
Free Thinker

13 years ago, get over it already. Nova Scotia is still screwed from the past Conservative gov that the NDP tried to clean up, and nobody still didn't want the Liberals in after what they pulled before the Cons. The NDP couldn't fix everything right away, did what they could, but people got fed up with them and went back to the Liberals because they didn't screw everybody for a while now (didn't have the chance) while everybody still remembered what the Cons did.

Point being?

They all screw something up when given power. All we vote for is who we think will go the longest before screwing up again.