Wynne calls on Harper to support Ring of Fire in addition to Tarsands

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Billions invested into Alberta's economic development with complete lack of regard for the rest of the country.

Ontario calls on Ottawa to match its support for Ring of Fire

The Ontario government has pledged $1-billion to build a road link to the remote resource-rich Ring of Fire region in Northern Ontario, but it says the money is contingent on receiving a matching pledge from the federal government.

The funding was included in Thursday’s provincial budget and is aimed at encouraging more companies to make commitments to move ahead with facilities and mines in the region, which is located 535 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay and has no year-round road access.

U.S. mining company Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. suspended operations at the Ring of Fire late last year, citing uncertainty about the road-link plans and delays in getting approvals from First Nations in the region.

Ontario estimates the value of the known nickel and chromite deposits in the region at more than $60-billion.

The provincial government wants Ottawa to contribute to funding the expensive road-building project, arguing that it contributed $3.1-billion to help develop Newfoundland and Nova Scotia’s offshore oil and gas drilling projects, and provides support worth $1.4-billion annually to Alberta and Saskatchewan’s oil and gas sector.

Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa said Thursday that the federal government has been short-changing the province on infrastructure spending in many areas.

“We’re calling on the federal government to treat Ontarians the same way it treats all other provinces. … Stop delaying important infrastructure funding, and match our $1-billion commitment to the Ring of Fire,” he told reporters.

The government also said it will modernize the province’s Mining Act to create an online system to stake mining claims, replacing the current paper-based system.

Ontario calls on Ottawa to match its support for Ring of Fire - The Globe and Mail

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Helmet has already said developing the ring of fire, other than the one in his ****, is Ontario's chance to shine. no pun intended.

Maybe some help coming previous to fed. erection.

IF ont. erects a Con.

Hoodat comes to mind. (fukker looks like a zombie)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ontario can build their own roads. BC does it. The resource companies using the roads will pay a fee for use which eventually pays for the road. BC Hydro is also doing this to run power in NW BC for several new mines.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I don't even think mr. kathy (the chin) wynne knows how to call swiss chalet for delivery, never mind steve.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Ontario can build their own roads. BC does it. The resource companies using the roads will pay a fee for use which eventually pays for the road. BC Hydro is also doing this to run power in NW BC for several new mines.

The article already states that Ontario is paying for the road.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't even think mr. kathy (the chin) wynne knows how to call swiss chalet for delivery, never mind steve.

I think she is working closely with the deputy prime minister on the matter.

As for Swiss Chalet, I think the problem is that she is afraid ordering white meat will be offensive.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
But are looking for a matching sum from the feds .
You must have clearly missed that part .

So what?

Why draw the arbitrary line?

You think Alberta isn't getting infrastructure?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So what?

Why draw the arbitrary line?

You think Alberta isn't getting infrastructure?
Not your point .You stated Ontario was paying for the road , failing to mention that their paying for the road depended on a billion in matching funding from the feds .
So which is it ? Is Ontario paying for the road or are the Canadian tax payers paying for the road .
And why should Canadians subsidize this American mining conglomerate ?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Not your point .You stated Ontario was paying for the road , failing to mention that their paying for the road depended on a billion in matching funding from the feds .
So which is it ? Is Ontario paying for the road or are the Canadian tax payers paying for the road .

My point was that Ontario was contributing to the project - therefore paying.

And why should Harper be subsidizing De Beers in Alberta?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Kuz we always do.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
My point was that Ontario was contributing to the project - therefore paying.

And why should Harper be subsidizing De Beers in Alberta?
Well sir maybe make your point . i.e. Ontario is paying for the road , does not equal Ontario is contributing to the cost of construction .

Well sir maybe make your point . i.e. Ontario is paying for the road , does not equal Ontario is contributing to the cost of construction .
Is Harper a share holder in DeBeers ?
What is Harper contributing to De Beers in Alberta ?

Myself I like drinking De Beers .