Mulroney got it done, Harper hasn't

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Brian Mulroney didn’t come to Ottawa to bury Stephen Harper. But he didn’t come to praise him either.

The former prime minister was in the capital to speak about the “next big thing” for Canada — making the most of its treasure trove of oil, gas and mineral resources.

To do so requires political leadership, Mr. Mulroney said, and he was pretty clear he doesn’t think Mr. Harper has been providing it.
“Prime ministers are not chosen to seek popularity, they are chosen to provide leadership,” he told the audience at the Canada 2020 dinner.

“Leadership is the process, not only of foreseeing the need for change but making the case for change. Leadership does not consist of imposing unpopular ideas on the public but of making unpopular ideas acceptable to the nation.”

more

John Ivison: Brian Mulroney didn’t come to bury Stephen Harper. But he didn’t come to praise him either | National Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He is right. Harper doesn't have the balls or charisma. That is why I don't like the guy not because left or right.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The last thing this country needs is more of Lyin' Brian. He turned a majority into 2 stinkin' seats and he would do it again.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The last thing this country needs is more of Lyin' Brian. He turned a majority into 2 stinkin' seats and he would do it again.

20 some years of FTA and NAFTA and it still pays to cross border shop. FAIL doesn't' even begin to describe that clusterf-ck.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
20 some years of FTA and NAFTA and it still pays to cross border shop. FAIL doesn't' even begin to describe that clusterf-ck.

I don't cross border shop. Never have. What I have seen is dough heads drivng to Blaine to buy twenty loaves of American white bread, and that is unexplainable.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Harper's going to do the same thing that Mulroney did.

Totally decimated and destroy the party through self-centered arrogance to the point that it literally takes decades to rebuild.

I still throw up a little bit of my mouth whenever I see a picture of Mulroney

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't cross border shop. Never have. What I have seen is dough heads drivng to Blaine to buy twenty loaves of American white bread, and that is unexplainable.

The wife and kid love the mall of America in Minneapolis while I go watch a series of Twins games. They get things they can't get here on the cheap and I get to drink beer.

Works for me.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
The man has a point.
He did pull off nafta and he almost pulled off Meech before Bouchard betrayed him and then the First Nations applied the final coup de grace.

And now he is indeed correct in pointing out that Canada must move forward with resouce and infrastructure development.
He is also correct in stating that First Nations issues need to be resolved or at least defined once and for all.
If the nation fails to move forward it will indeed start to sink.

Our national ports get bogged down by widcat strikes.
Energy pipelines and mines are blocked.
Resouce exploitation is stifled.
Expansions of transportation systems and port infrastructure is opposed.
It's utterly ridiculous.

And it's Harpers job to get things moving again.

I do give Harper credit on the state of international trade negotiations.

Try pricing out a good set of tires at your local Costco and then pricing out the same tires complete with install and balance in Blaine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The man has a point.

Try pricing out a good set of tires at your local Costco and then pricing out the same tires complete with install and balance in Blaine.

If I want tires I go to Canadian Tire and they install and balance. Their tires also have a warrantee that a lot of the crap at Costco doesn't have. Two or three weeks down the road Costco will be selling another brand of whatever you bought from them and they don't want to talk about it. But....be happy...

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Are any of harpers touted trade deals actually working, or are they pending. Meby like everything else steve promises it won't kick in till 2016, if the cons get back in.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The wife and kid love the mall of America in Minneapolis while I go watch a series of Twins games. They get things they can't get here on the cheap and I get to drink beer.

Works for me.

Sounds like a trip from Rosetown to Saskatoon. Big deal.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Lets be honest , Brian was a great Prime Minister and Statesman.
I never felt ruled under his leadership and Canada had a confidence in his governing the country, not ruling us.

They were destroyed due to the implementation of the GST.

For the first time in history Albertans were paying taxes at the candy store.
Then Chretien enjoyed the surplus brought about by it.

Harper lowered the tax rate at the worse time , there by tossing the government into it's derelict condition we live under.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good grief.....Canada enjoys one of the best economies in the world and it has nothing to do with Mulroney. Wasn't he the guy that had money delivered to him in brown paper bags??

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Lets be honest , Brian was a great Prime Minister and Statesman.
I never felt ruled under his leadership and Canada had a confidence in his governing the country, not ruling us.

They were destroyed due to the implementation of the GST.

For the first time in history Albertans were paying taxes at the candy store.
Then Chretien enjoyed the surplus brought about by it.

Harper lowered the tax rate at the worse time , there by tossing the government into it's derelict condition we live under.

Lyin promised no NAFTA, then implemented it.

That's just one.

I wish he would just **** off and shut up..........not much hope.

He must have been well made up for that photo. In real life he looks like a dissipated alcoholic.....not saying he is....just looks like.

He needs to just go away...........and take Helmethead with him.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Lyin promised no NAFTA, then implemented it.

Really?, I did not know that.
I was under the impression his government drew it up and then put it on the table .

Live and learn eh!
Could you help me with this piece of history and set the record straight for me please.

Wasn't Michael Wilson labeled mr.GST for drawing it up?

He must have been well made up for that photo. In real life he looks like a dissipated alcoholic.....not saying he is....just looks like.
diabetes and old age will do that to you

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Really?, I did not know that.
I was under the impression his government drew it up and then put it on the table .

Live and learn eh!
Could you help me with this piece of history and set the record straight for me please.

Wasn't Michael Wilson labeled mr.GST for drawing it up?

diabetes and old age will do that to you

I remember Lyin Brian on TV stating flat out that if he was elected, there would be no NAFTA...........google the rest of it. Can't to all the work, eh. Sarcasm only works if you're correct.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I remember Lyin Brian on TV stating flat out that if he was elected, there would be no NAFTA...........google the rest of it. Can't to all the work, eh. Sarcasm only works if you're correct.

Well according to this and my memory NAFTA was first initiated in 1986 . Mulroney rose to power in '84
North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not recall the Liberals drawing this up or even slightly supporting it when it first appeared.
As for sarcasm, sorry if it offends you but your words about Prime Minister Mulroney offend me.

You got it wrong as well, nowhere can I find Mulroney denying NAFTA, something his government helped to draw up in the first place.

Sour grapes on Mulroney's part over being outed on Airbus.
Airbus was a business deal. One made after he left office.

These people live this way.
Anything to besmirch the man concerning this business deal is tantamount to partisanship.
He never was told to give the money back, and he paid his taxes on it .