Conservative Culture of Contempt

Cobalt_Kid
+1
Our latest view into the ugliness that underlies the supposedly lily-white conservative party(based on how much they condemn anyone who isn't them).

Eve Adams apparently isn't waiting until being a conservative MP is brought to the same legal standing as Royalty and is instead exercising her vast entitlement now.

She' misusing her position to aggressively secure her candidacy in a new riding.

Eve Adams nomination scrap a test case for Tory grassroots - Politics - CBC News

Getting her well connected fiance to break the rules to further her career.

Dimitri Soudas fired as Conservative Party executive director - Politics - CBC News

And in general letting us peons know just how important she is compared to the rest of us, as those who found themselves trapped by her antics at a gas station found out.

Eve Adams Carwash Video: Gas Station Owner John Newcombe Describes Encounter

This in the context of a government that has been found to have repeatedly broke elections laws, tried to fix a Senate scandal by blocking an ongoing investigation, is trying to ram through a "Fair" Elections act that most objective experts claim will have the opposite effect and will in fact create an unbalanced playing field that will give the advantage to the conservatives, while at the same time disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of Canadians.

Much of the record of the Harper government has been to play fast and lose with the rules and respect for Canadian traditions in general as can be seen with the recent contempt shown towards our veterans. What Eve Adams and many other conservative MPs and Senators are doing is made possible by the very poor example set by our current PM who acts far more like a monarch than a real democratic leader.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Liberalman
Let's hope that Harper's exit strategy does not involve a bunker

Cobalt_Kid
+1
Or a modern version of Gotterdamerung for Canada, I get the distinct impression that Harper and many of his devotees would much prefer taking this nation down than letting go of their death grip on it.

This isn´t politics as we´ve ever seen before here, it´s a coup in slow motion.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+6
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_KidView Post

Or a modern version of Gotterdamerung for Canada, I get the distinct impression that Harper and many of his devotees would much prefer taking this nation down than letting go of their death grip on it.

A Coup? Yeah! It's a coup. Death grip. Just because your party can't get it's fecal matter together and find a vision, doesn't mean that we Canadians are under siege.

It's always easy to spot a zealot when they start using words like "death grip" and "take the nation down." If you and the guy with the Pierre Trudeau Fetish truly want political change in the country maybe you should step off that natural governing soap box and start demanding more of your party by insisting they look for a leader whose actually held a freaking portfolio, instead of a pedigree babe in the woods.

Or just continue with the rhetoric.

Cobalt_Kid
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

A Coup? Yeah! It's a coup. Death grip. Just because your party can't get it's fecal matter together and find a vision, doesn't mean that we Canadians are under siege.

It's always easy to spot a zealot when they start using words like "death grip" and "take the nation down." If you and the guy with the Pierre Trudeau Fetish truly want political change in the country maybe you should step off that natural governing soap box and start demanding more of your party by insisting they look for a leader whose actually held a freaking portfolio, instead of a pedigree babe in the woods.

Or just continue with the rhetoric.

I´m not advocating for any party here you are, and your party is about as undemocratic a government as we´ve ever had, as Sheila Fraser puts well here.

Fair Elections Act: Sheila Fraser Slams Bill C-23 As Attack On Democracy

Quote:

And she urged Canadians to speak up against the sweeping bill.

"Elections are the base of our democracy and if we do not have truly a fair electoral process and one that can be managed well by a truly independent body, it really is an attack on our democracy and we should all be concerned about that," Fraser said in an interview.

"When you look at the people who may not be able to vote, when you look at the limitations that are being put on the chief electoral officer, when you see the difficulties, just the operational difficulties that are going to be created in all this, I think it's going to be very difficult to have a fair, a truly fair, election."

It´s cheated to get into power, is cheating to hold onto power and is cheating Canadians out of their future by denying reality. This isn´t going to go on much longer because it can´t, ideology doesn´t trump reality.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+5
Not advocating for any party are ya?

Interesting, despite the many instances of wrong doing, outrageous behavior and parallel incidents across all parties, you appear to solely focus on one party alone.

.. So much for non-partisan objectivity on your part

Cobalt_Kid
+5
And the contempt for veterans continues, Harper had no problem politicizing the war when it suited him, but now it´s time to pony up and help all the people who will often have lifelong challenges as a result.

Romeo Dallaire: Tory Complaints Over Veterans Costs 'Pissing Me Off'

Quote:

There are rumblings in the corridors of power on Parliament Hill that MPs have grown impatient with the cost burden imposed by Canada's military veterans, one of the country's most prominent former soldiers said Thursday.Sen. Romeo Dallaire, a former lieutenant-general and ex-commander of the ill-fated peacekeeping mission in Rwanda, described a number of recent encounters with "politicians who are second-guessing the cost of veterans."

Dallaire — who made the comments in an interview with The Canadian Press before testifying Thursday at the House of Commons veterans committee — did not identify the individuals in question.

But he said he's been hearing privately from politicians who complain about the price tag: the Conservative government spends roughly $3.8 billion each year on the Veterans Affairs Department.

"And I say: Oh, yeah?" said Dallaire, describing how he walks them through the dollar cost of equipping and deploying the military on missions like the recently concluded 12-year mission in Afghanistan.

"And then I say, 'Now that they're home — and the ones that are injured — they cost too much?' This has been sniffing its way around the Conservative hallways and it's pissing me off."

That´s the problem with having a party that thinks it´s above the people in what´s supposed to be a democratic country, they inevitably act in such a way that is hostile towards the very people who are most dedicated to the core values of that country.

And as we´ve seen over and over with the Harper government, they say one thing out of one side of their face and the opposite out of the other side.

Quote:

"It is not appropriate to spread rumours without any kind of attribution," Bergamini said. "The fact remains that no government in modern history has invested more money for veterans services."

Yet, the government has pointedly failed to reconcile its political talking points with the legal stand being taken by Justice Department lawyers in a prominent class-action lawsuit being brought by veterans of the Afghan war.

In a statement of defence filed with B.C. Superior Court, the government argues there is no "social contract" between the country and its soldiers, despite their commitment to lay down their lives without question, and that promises made by past governments to care for the wounded are not binding on current and future governments.

I and I think millions of Canadians would disagree, there is a binding social contract with any Canadian government that sends our citizens to war. Canada is a democratic country, not a wholly owned subsidiary of conservative Inc., but you wouldn´t know that by the way they act.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
If we all get out our old reel to reel projectors and watch we used to say the same
thing about the Liberals it just means they've been there too long and we need to
reach out and find a new group of screw ups and next year we might get a chance
to do that.

DaSleeper
+1

here you are, and your party is about as undemocratic a government as we´ve ever had, as Sheila Fraser puts well here.

Give us a break and quit being such a hypocrite........

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Bbbbut, he's fighting the good fight Das... And he's such a creative writer with a real flair for the dramatic

mentalfloss
+1
Hey I made a thread about this already!

And mine has way more hot pics of Eve.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Apr 4th, 2014 at 08:11 AM..Reason: Exclamation mark added so Locutus is aware of exclamation.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I´m not advocating for any party here you are, and your party is about as undemocratic a government as we´ve ever had, as Sheila Fraser puts well here.

Really? Where? You're the only nitwit I see spamming the boards with your propaganda. Perhaps you can tell me how I'm advocating for the conservatives by dissecting what I wrote.

Quote:

It´s cheated to get into power, is cheating to hold onto power and is cheating Canadians out of their future by denying reality. This isn´t going to go on much longer because it can´t, ideology doesn´t trump reality.

Really? Cheated to get into power? How did the Harper government cheat its way into power? I know I'm going to regret this, because I can already see the cut and paste storm nonsense brewing. But what the heck, it's only pixels.

Quote:

ideology doesn´t trump reality

How about a drinking a big cup of make some ****ing sense.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
These parties come and go, and they all want to desperately hang on. Hell, it's a sweet deal. I would. But evenutally the same malaise settles in no matter who's in there--arrogance, entitlement, scandal, loss of momentum.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

These parties come and go, and they all want to desperately hang on. Hell, it's a sweet deal. I would. But evenutally the same malaise settles in no matter who's in there--arrogance, entitlement, scandal, loss of momentum.

Agreed. The common denominator is always the same when the stagnation occurs. Lack of choice.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Agreed. The common denominator is always the same when the stagnation occurs. Lack of choice.

As Churchill said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." Ideologically, I'm a liberal and a Liberal (big surprise, right?). But they've parachuted some golden boy into our riding--fancy school, fancy college, straight into a director-level, banking-type job out of school. Same with the Conservative guy--parachuted in from who knows where, never had any kind of job I can relate to.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

If we all get out our old reel to reel projectors and watch we used to say the same
thing about the Liberals it just means they've been there too long and we need to
reach out and find a new group of screw ups and next year we might get a chance
to do that.

Yes, but how fair is the election going to be. There has been no real investigation into the robocalls scandal, just a lot of government foot dragging and a few disjointed cases being put forward for something to show people as "action" being done. We know for a fact that the current government has a fundamental contempt for the kind of government we're supposed to have and is to the point of encoding that into our laws.

We may have an election next year, but the chances are very good it's not going to be an open and honest accounting of the wishes of the Canadian people.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Hey I made a thread about this already!

And mine has way more hot pics of Eve.

Yah, but mine has the cool alliteration in the title.

Meanwhile Ms. Entitlement sees no problem with how she's been acting.

Eve Adams calls riding allegations ‘categorically false’ | Toronto Star

Quote:

Adams denied any breach of party or Elections Canada rules, and called allegations by the riding executive that she overstepped the bounds in trying to build support in Oakville North-Burlington “ridiculous” and “categorically false.”

When many MPs in the party show contempt for the rules or any real democratic tradition in Canada is it any wonder that some conservative MPs have come to think and act this way. The traditional limits in our Parliamentary system no longer apply to them, they just make it up as they go, the same way that Harper has been doing all along.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

We may have an election next year, but the chances are very good it's not going to be an open and honest accounting of the wishes of the Canadian people.

Sounds like you're already settling for another Conservative majority.

Might wanna get some of this for the many ulcers you'll be suffering from in the coming years... But at least you'll be able to make the dance

Cobalt_Kid
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sounds like you're already settling for another Conservative majority.

Might wanna get some of this for the many ulcers you'll be suffering from in the coming years... But at least you'll be able to make the dance

I'm betting that like me most Canadians aren't interested in eating conservative **** for the rest of their lives. It might smell nice and yummy to you, but that's probably as a result of where your head has been jammed for years.

Just keep telling yourself it's chocolate pudding and I'm sure you'll never really notice the difference.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

I'm betting that like me most Canadians aren't interested in eating conservative **** for the rest of their lives. It might smell nice and yummy to you, but that's probably as a result of where your head has been jammed for years.

Just keep telling yourself it's chocolate pudding and I'm sure you'll never really notice the difference.

Awww... Has the last 8 years been that bad for ya'll?

Seems to me that the 'most Canadians' that you speak of are quite happy and content with the nice change of gvt from the environment of fraud and corruption of the former, er, party.

Who were they again?... I can't seem to remember that party since it has all but vanished from the face of the Earth after 'most Canadian' decided to vote them into oblivion.
Last edited by captain morgan; Apr 4th, 2014 at 04:06 PM..

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation

Awww... Has the last 8 years been that had for ya'll?

Seems to me that the 'most Canadians' that you speak of are quite happy and content with the nice change of gvt from the environment of fraud and corruption of the former, er, party.

Who were they again?... I can't seem to remember that party since it has all but vanished from the face of the Earth after 'most Canadian' decided to vote them into oblivion.

The problem is that the former party fades from memory and a the new party becomes rife with fraud and corruption.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Very true... Mind you, the Cons have a long way to go before they start handing out cash in brown paper bags.

Goober
Free Thinker

And the contempt for veterans continues, Harper had no problem politicizing the war when it suited him, but now it´s time to pony up and help all the people who will often have lifelong challenges as a result.

You would be aware that all Members of the House voted unanimous for the New Veteran Charter. Not 1 Vets Org has come anywhere close to approving that POS legislation.
I listen to Hairdo slamming the Cons on their treatment of Vets, but he is not offering to repeal the Charter, now is he.
Nope, just BS and he walks that well.

Cobalt_Kid

Awww... Has the last 8 years been that bad for ya'll?

You mean the Liberals, the party that is leading in the polls right now?

I don't give a **** who wins the next election, I just want it to be fair and the results based on the best evidence, but we don't even get that in this country after the conservatives have shut down every source of possible negative information possible, on issues that are of prime importance to Canadians.

It shouldn't be some ******* appointee of Harper's that is deciding our future, but that's what we have in Canada now. And if you don't think the PMO is full of *******s making stupid decisions then you really do have your head up your ***.

Goober
Free Thinker

I don't give a **** who wins the next election, I just want it to be fair and the results based on the best evidence, but we don't even get that in this country after the conservatives have shut down every source of possible negative information possible, on issues that are of prime importance to Canadians.

It shouldn't be some ******* appointee of Harper's that is deciding our future, but that's what we have in Canada now. And if you don't think the PMO is full of *******s making stupid decisions then you really do have your head up your ***.

The below is really over the top.
Next we will see Soldiers in the streets. Oops- That was the Liberals stating it would occur.

Götterdämmerung - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Götterdämmerung
Popularity

Götterdämmerung is currently in the bottom 30% of lookups on Merriam-Webster.com.

See a list of the most popular words.

Göt·ter·däm·mer·ung
noun \ˌgə(r)-tər-ˈde-mə-ˌru̇ŋ, -ˈda-\
Definition of GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG
: a collapse (as of a society or regime) marked by catastrophic violence and disorder; broadly : downfall <the Götterdämmerung of Communism>
Examples of GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG

<a film that chronicles the chaotic Götterdämmerung of the Third Reich>

DaSleeper
+1

Retired_Can_Soldier

Exactly as I thought. When it comes to a pointed question you revert to the shrill, but lack substance.

gerryh
+1

Very true... Mind you, the Cons have a long way to go before they start handing out cash in brown paper bags.

Oh, you mean like Mulroney?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

Yes, but how fair is the election going to be. There has been no real investigation into the robocalls scandal, just a lot of government foot dragging and a few disjointed cases being put forward for something to show people as "action" being done. We know for a fact that the current government has a fundamental contempt for the kind of government we're supposed to have and is to the point of encoding that into our laws.

Yah, but mine has the cool alliteration in the title.

Meanwhile Ms. Entitlement sees no problem with how she's been acting.

Eve Adams calls riding allegations ‘categorically false’ | Toronto Star

When many MPs in the party show contempt for the rules or any real democratic tradition in Canada is it any wonder that some conservative MPs have come to think and act this way. The traditional limits in our Parliamentary system no longer apply to them, they just make it up as they go, the same way that Harper has been doing all along.

Hard to determine what the wishes of the Canadian people might be when in a good year 50% bother to vote. I constantly hear the same BS from the leftys in BC that claim the government does not listen to the people. A seat count in the leg would tend to indicate otherwise. Maybe you just got the wrong hymm book.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Oh, you mean like Mulroney?

Actually he received it in a brown paper bag.

Cobalt_Kid
So if you try and buy off a senator as part of an overall campaign to block a senate inquiry into illegal expenses the worst you can expect is to be named in a report.

Yup, we've got so much more transparency and accountability under this government.

Nigel Wright Probe: Ethics Commissioner Has Limited Ability To Penalize

Quote:

But even if Dawson re-opens her probe, Wright may face few penalties if she finds against him. The ethics watchdog won’t be able to fine him — fines of up to $500 are only imposed for administrative errors or failures to disclose, her office confirmed. She will only be able to conduct an examination and publish a report.