Ontario set to jack up distracted driving fines to $1,000 plus points

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's a start.

TORONTO - Motorists convicted of driving while chatting or texting on a handheld cellphone face three demerit points and fines of up to $1,000 under Ontario legislation introduced Monday.

The province is already increasing the $155 distracted driving fine to $280 as of Tuesday.

The legislation, if passed however, would increase the minimum penalty to at least $300 and as much as $1,000.

The Keeping Ontario’s Roads Safe Act would also require drivers passing cyclists to keep a distance of at least one metre.

more

Ontario set to jack up distracted driving fines to $1,000 plus points | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a start.

You'd think it would be a start but really, it probably isn't. Almost everyone I've ever encountered who've gotten a ticket or fine for some kind of driving infraction, the one thing they all seem to have in common is that they don't get that they got that ticket or fine because of what they did. I don't think it would matter how much they jacked the fine up, people will continue to do what they've always done (park where they know they shouldn't, exceed the speed limit, get behind the wheel with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, text while on the highway) and when they get caught and face a penalty, they'll do what they always do. Blame everybody but themselves.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I still see people talking on their phones all the time while they are driving, and I honestly don't think that increasing the fines will have any affect. People still smoke in their cars while their children are in them, so it seems that people just don't care about following the laws that inconvenience them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It doesn't matter much what the penalties are, there's always going to be people who don't get the picture. I'm convinced that about 20% of the drivers on the road shouldn't be there in any kind of motorized vehicle at any cost. They are just too stupid to be driving and their attitude is bad. I wish tail gating was as vigorously checked as what speeding, texting and drinking are. That alone would make the highways twice as safe for the law abiding motorist.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I still see people talking on their phones all the time while they are driving, and I honestly don't think that increasing the fines will have any affect. People still smoke in their cars while their children are in them, so it seems that people just don't care about following the laws that inconvenience them.

It's against teh law to smoke in your car in Onatario? Sheesh. I'l tell you what, most of the time when I see a guy on the horn, it's a cop.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You don't want to try it here in Vernon, the cops have one spot, where they hang out all the time and if you are talking on the phone when you drive around this one curve, they've "got" you and there's pretty well always someone pulled over. Obsessive phone talkers are stupid by nature! -:)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's against teh law to smoke in your car in Onatario? Sheesh. I'l tell you what, most of the time when I see a guy on the horn, it's a cop.

No, it's against the law to smoke in your car when there are children present.