Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says

spaminator
Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:21 AM EST | Updated: Friday, March 07, 2014 11:07 AM EST
A Nova Scotia newspaper has said it is sorry if an editorial cartoon about the federal government's Economic Action Plan that showed a swastika flag flying over the Parliament buildings offended anyone.
"The cartoon was simply meant as a satire, or exaggeration, on Harper's Economic Action Plan and its implications for some segments of the community," the Pictou Advocate's editor wrote in a comment on the editorial cartoon. "We regret that the cartoon was not received in the spirit with which it was intended."
The cartoon ran in the newspaper on Wednesday.
Cartoonist Rob Denton said he did not mean to offend anyone.
"The use of the swastika was simply aligning the Harper government's policies with the Nazis," he said in the statement.
"There are no religious connotations, there is no anti-Semitism, there are no ethnic attacks, there is no racism ... Just the suggestion that Canadian politics is heading toward fascism."
Nova Scotia MP and Minister of Justice Peter MacKay denounced the cartoon.
Jon Goldberg, executive director of the Atlantic Jewish Council, called on the newspaper to offer a full apology.
"The tasteless and inappropriate use of the swastika to make a political point only trivializes the horrific crimes of the Nazis. Such a cartoon is offensive to the Jewish community, to all who suffered during (the Second World War), and to Canadian veterans who sacrificed so much to liberate Europe from Nazi rule," Goldberg said.
This political cartoon appeared in the Pictou Advocate on Wednesday, March 5, 2014. The newspaper's editor has said the cartoon was "simply meant as a satire, or exaggeration, on Harper's Economic Action Plan and its implications for some segments of the community ... We regret that the cartoon was not received in the spirit with which it was intended." (Photo: QMI Agency)

Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

what the heil?

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
Sad how folk could be insulted over the Hindu symbol for auspicious. I guess that's what happens when something gets hijacked and bastardized into something of an entirely different meaning

mentalfloss
+1
Did Ezra draw this one?

relic
Free Thinker
+3
Welcome to 2014, a person can't say a ****in' thing without pissing some goomer with an agenda, off. Swear to geebus, there is a raft of people LOOKING for something to offend them.

Locutus
+3
A small community paper...so much drama.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
+2
The swastika was around long before Hitler and his nazis.

Liberalman
It might have been true back in the day

Ever since they hooked up with the PCs they became more main stream

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Reform was always mainstream. They were just pisspoor at getting their message out...or do you not consider democracy to be a mainstream idea? Never mind...I just remembered Trudeau's your hero

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Reform was always mainstream. They were just pisspoor at getting their message out...or do you not consider democracy to be a mainstream idea? Never mind...I just remembered Trudeau's your hero

They started as a western separatist party and a reform MP told a manager of the store to tell the visible minority clerk to go to the back of the store while he finished shopping, just like a 1930s dictator in Europe.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

They started as a western separatist party.....

No they didnt

... and a reform MP told a manager of the store to tell the visible minority clerk to go to the back of the store while he finished shopping, just like a 1930s dictator in Europe.

Do you consider every statement or action by an MP, part of his or her party's platform?

You should stop being so silly

Liberalman

No they didnt

Yes they did and they only wanted to represent the provinces from Manitoba to BC

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Yes they did...

No they didn't.

Do you consider every statement or action by an MP, part of his or her party's platform?

Well?

Liberalman

No they didn't.

Well?

Get a history book from the library instead reading the Conservative propaganda version. It was an Ontario MPP that talked Manning to come east but he did not want to have the Reform party involved with provincial politics so he helped Mike the knife Harris set policies and win the election

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Get a history book from the library instead reading the Conservative propaganda version. It was an Ontario MPP that talked Manning to come east but he did not want to have the Reform party involved with provincial politics so he helped Mike the knife Harris set policies and win the election

I don't need a history book. I was involved with the Reform Party in the beginning. Your version of history is entertaining though, I'll give you that.

Does the question pose a problem for you?

Liberalman

I don't need a history book. I was involved with the Reform Party in the beginning. Your version of history is entertaining though, I'll give you that.

Reform Party of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reform Party of Canada (French: Parti réformiste du Canada) was a Canadian federal political party that existed from 1987 to 2000. It was originally founded as a Western Canada-based protest party, but attempted to expand eastward in the 1990s. It viewed itself as a populist party.

Soon after its formation it moved to the right and became a populist conservative (largely socially conservative) party. Initially, the Reform Party was motivated by the need for democratic reforms and by profound Western Canadian discontent with the Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Led by its founder Preston Manning, the Reform Party rapidly gained momentum in western Canada and sought to expand its base in the east.
Last edited by Liberalman; Mar 8th, 2014 at 12:19 PM..Reason: some

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

They started as a western separatist party.

Reform Party of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reform Party of Canada (French: Parti réformiste du Canada) was a Canadian federal political party that existed from 1987 to 2000. It was originally founded as a Western Canada-based protest party, but attempted to expand eastward in the 1990s. It viewed itself as a populist party.

Soon after its formation it moved to the right and became a populist conservative (largely socially conservative) party. Initially, the Reform Party was motivated by the need for democratic reforms and by profound Western Canadian discontent with the Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Led by its founder Preston Manning, the Reform Party rapidly gained momentum in western Canada and sought to expand its base in the east.

Thanks for the link although there was nothing in there that refutes anything I've said. Ironically though, it does not support your silly notion that Reform began as a separatist party which, of course, it didn't. Thanks for playing though.

Is there a reason you keep ignoring that question?

Liberalman

Thanks for the link although there was nothing in there that refutes anything I've said. Ironically though, it does not support your silly notion that Reform began as a separatist party which, of course, it didn't. Thanks for playing though.

I suggest you take a refresher course in reading.

But you are right about one thing which is you are playing

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Still waiting...

gerryh
+1

I suggest you take a refresher course in reading.

I "suggest" you follow your own advice. Canuck is correct. Reform was never a "separatist" party. It was always a western protest party that Manning managed to move into the main stream. It's idiots like you, spreading bullshyte around, that cause others to get wrong information and perpetuate the idiocy.

Liberalman

Still waiting...

He said it and the platform is happy

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

He said it and the platform is happy

Nice dodge attempt. I (and I'm sure most others) understand why you want to run away from the question. You'll make a great backbencher if you can fool enough people.

Liberalman

Nice dodge attempt. I (and I'm sure most others) understand why you want to run away from the question. You'll make a great backbencher if you can fool enough people.

I can see why you would say that just remember "Truth Hurts"

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Still waiting....

Liberalman

Still waiting....

Not every statement but that example sounds right. The way Harper is making major mistakes the PC wing of the federal Conservatives is ready to leave causing a fracture into two NeoCons

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1

Not every statement but that example sounds right....

Well to you no doubt but, given that you still believe the reform party began as separatists, your grasp of "what sounds right" is tenuous at best.

gerryh

Not every statement but that example sounds right. The way Harper is making major mistakes the PC wing of the federal Conservatives is ready to leave causing a fracture into two NeoCons

You'll have to explain how the Conservative party could split into 2 of the same thing. Explain why, and how, it could or would split into 2 parties with the same political ideology.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Is this an example of micro aggression?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Is this an example of micro aggression?

Is what an example of micro aggression?

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Is what an example of micro aggression?

The OP.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I "suggest" you follow your own advice. Canuck is correct. Reform was never a "separatist" party. It was always a western protest party that Manning managed to move into the main stream. It's idiots like you, spreading bullshyte around, that cause others to get wrong information and perpetuate the idiocy.

Right on assessment - but wasted in the tug of war to "score points"