NDP roasts government for ignoring deputy ministers’ climate change advice


mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#1
NDP roasts government for ignoring deputy ministers’ climate change advice

OTTAWA – Canada’s official Opposition says the Conservative government is effectively rejecting climate change and must explain why it’s ignoring the advice of its own most senior bureaucrats to do more to reduce greenhouse gases and fight climate change.

The questions in the House of Commons on Monday followed a Postmedia News story last week about a secret report from a committee of federal deputy ministers to the country’s top bureaucrat that highlighted the need for the federal government to do more to combat climate change.

The report from the Deputy Ministers’ Committee on Climate Change, Energy and the Environment to the Clerk of the Privy Council Wayne Wouters said more action is needed to mitigate climate change and manage the risks that threaten Canadian communities, government infrastructure, food security and human health.

On Monday, NDP deputy leader and environment critic Megan Leslie went after the Harper government in question period over why it continues to delay greenhouse gas regulations for the oil and gas sector and hasn’t accepted the advice of its own deputy ministers.

“The Conservative government loves to blame foreign radicals for criticism of their inaction on climate change. However, now those so-called radicals are their own deputy ministers,” Leslie said. “Why are the Conservatives refusing to act?”

Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq didn’t directly comment on the secret report and advice from the deputy ministers, but claimed the government is a “world leader” in addressing climate change.

“We continue to work with the provinces in reducing emissions from the oil and gas sector,” Aglukkaq said in the Commons. “It is premature to comment further on any work on the regulations.”

Following question period, Leslie argued the Harper government’s failure to implement greenhouse gas regulations for the energy sector and meaningfully tackle climate change suggests the Conservatives continue to ignore the problem.

“They are denying climate change, effectively,” she said.

The internal report from August 2013 – labelled “SECRET” and obtained by Postmedia News under access to information legislation – says that Canada “will likely face significant challenges to mitigate GHG emissions beyond 2020” given its energy intensive and export-oriented economy.

The Alberta oilsands are the fastest-growing source of greenhouse gas emissions in Canada.

The federal Conservative government has repeatedly delayed long-awaited greenhouse gas regulations for the oil and gas industry, a decision all the more interesting when the most senior federal bureaucrats are flagging concerns about climate change and challenges in tackling GHGs in the energy sector.

The report says a wide range of climate-change impacts are being felt across Canada, including disappearing Arctic sea ice, thawing permafrost, rising sea levels and increased risks of severe weather. Moreover, “it is likely that these conditions will be exacerbated as the climate continues to change in the future,” it says.

“These impacts pose increasing risks to infrastructure, water quality and quantity, coastal communities, natural resource industries, food security, human health and safety, and wildlife,” the report says.

NDP roasts government for ignoring deputy ministers’ climate change advice | canada.com
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
I agree. It is getting far too cold here.

The emissions rightfully belong to the buyers of our oil, gas and coal, not the producers as with no market there would be no resource extraction.
The dippers would like to turn us into a frozen third world country where only government employees get good pay and bennies.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#3
It's going to be an expensive ride for taxpayers because of Harper. He's setting us up for a left hook in 10 years.
 
petros
+1
#4
Quote:

The Alberta oilsands are the fastest-growing source of greenhouse gas emissions in Canada.

What is the largest source?

Toronto?
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
#5
Quote:

Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq didn’t directly comment on the secret report and advice from the deputy ministers, but claimed the government is a “world leader” in addressing climate change.

"And if you play the tape backwards, your honour, you can see that the officers are actually trying to help Mr. King up."
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What is the largest source?

Toronto?


Methane from the vegetarians
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#7
Beer fartz....
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's going to be an expensive ride for taxpayers because of Harper. He's setting us up for a left hook in 10 years.

WE get hooked into going left and it WILL be expensive. Unless you are a government employee. Then you will be on easy street.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

WE get hooked into going left and it WILL be expensive. Unless you are a government employee. Then you will be on easy street.


The longer we ignore the legitimate cost of climate change initiatives, the easier it will be to validate a carbon tax. If Conservatives continue to just turn the other cheek to this problem, it will be their undoing.

Instead, if they recognized the opportunity, there would be legitimate cause for continued support instead of bowing out to the Liberals in the next election.
 
Locutus
-1
#10
en dee pee
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#11
No, they will be kingmaker at best. Shiny pony has the spotlight.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The longer we ignore the legitimate cost of climate change initiatives, the easier it will be to validate a carbon tax. If Conservatives continue to just turn the other cheek to this problem, it will be their undoing.

Instead, if they recognized the opportunity, there would be legitimate cause for continued support instead of bowing out to the Liberals in the next election.

Until the truthers come up with a viable plan to cut pollution without destroying the economy and carry on with their moronic wealth redistribution scheme to third world countries they rightfully should be ignored. Especially since the world is not warming up as claimed.

Until the Liberals get a leader with leadership qualities they will not form a government. just-in will crash just like the last three useless turds.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The longer we ignore the legitimate cost of climate change initiatives, the easier it will be to validate a carbon tax. If Conservatives continue to just turn the other cheek to this problem, it will be their undoing.

Instead, if they recognized the opportunity, there would be legitimate cause for continued support instead of bowing out to the Liberals in the next election.

If the Cons win the next election a Carbon Tax will be rolled out.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

If the Cons win the next election a Carbon Tax will be rolled out.

Eventually yes, because they will keep building up inefficiencies by continuing to ignore environmental concerns.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The longer we ignore the legitimate cost of climate change initiatives, the easier it will be to validate a carbon tax. If Conservatives continue to just turn the other cheek to this problem, it will be their undoing.

Instead, if they recognized the opportunity, there would be legitimate cause for continued support instead of bowing out to the Liberals in the next election.

Why anyone would think sending more money to Ottawa by way of a carbon or any other tax is just baffling .
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Why anyone would think sending more money to Ottawa by way of a carbon or any other tax is just baffling .

Cause the anti everything crowd wants to send all our money to third world countries. And close down all our industries.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Why anyone would think sending more money to Ottawa by way of a carbon or any other tax is just baffling .

I agree.

But the longer we have a Conservative government that ignores climate change, the greater the probability we tilt too far left when they are out of office.

They existing government is setting us up for a carbon tax
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I agree.

But the longer we have a Conservative government that ignores climate change, the greater the probability we tilt too far left when they are out of office.

They existing government is setting us up for a carbon tax

You mean farther left than we already are?
 
Nuggler
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

You mean farther left than we already are?


Mr. Tax; you ain't seen nothing yet. Hide yer money
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Mr. Tax; you ain't seen nothing yet. Hide yer money

Yup.

The longer we preach austerity and fiscal conservatism, the more we provoke the big bad tax.
 

Similar Threads

29
Climate Change
by Gonzo | Oct 24th, 2005
no new posts