Entitled to his entitlements


Locutus
#1
Andrew Leslie, defence policy adviser to Justin Trudeau and 2015 Liberal candidate.



One of Canada’s most high-profile military leaders claimed more than $72,000 in expenses, including real estate fees, for a move from his Ottawa home to another residence in the city after he retired, CTV News has learned.

Documents obtained by CTV News show retired general Andrew Leslie, who once led Canada’s mission in Afghanistan, claimed the expenses for a move in 2012.

[...]

Leslie made headlines in 2011 when he told the Harper government in a landmark report that the Department of National Defence needed to take an axe to its bloated headquarters in order to meet future obligations.



CTV Exclusive: Retired general claimed $72K in expenses for move within Ottawa | CTV News (external - login to view)

h/t sda
 
grissyboy
+1
#2
This is a joke, right? This wanna be a politician person replies he has done nothing wrong in billing the dumb *** taxpayers (you & me), $73,000 for moving a few blocks. Well whoopee ding all to hell. Money for moving is supposed to for veterans making one last move to "Better their lives". Since when Mr. Leslie does moving down the road to a more expensive house have anything do do with the concept of receiving this money. Give your head a shake General. Nobody, I mean nobody is buying this. Now we have the Liberals defending this guy. How much you wanna bet he gets his *** kicked when he runs for office. Us dumb *** taxpayers are fed up with this kind of crap.
 
DaSleeper
#3
Check Déja-Vu (external - login to view)
 
Machjo
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by grissyboyView Post

This is a joke, right? This wanna be a politician person replies he has done nothing wrong in billing the dumb *** taxpayers (you & me), $73,000 for moving a few blocks. Well whoopee ding all to hell. Money for moving is supposed to for veterans making one last move to "Better their lives". Since when Mr. Leslie does moving down the road to a more expensive house have anything do do with the concept of receiving this money. Give your head a shake General. Nobody, I mean nobody is buying this. Now we have the Liberals defending this guy. How much you wanna bet he gets his *** kicked when he runs for office. Us dumb *** taxpayers are fed up with this kind of crap.

To be fair though, if everything was kosher, then should the government not review the rules on this?
 
El Barto
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
The sadder part is apparently this is all within the rules and limits for this expenses. I agree with Machjo.
Hell I am sure we would be outraged if we saw all the legal privileges these people have.
 
Machjo
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

The sadder part is apparently this is all within the rules and limits for this expenses. I agree with Machjo.
Hell I am sure we would be outraged if we saw all the legal privileges these people have.

At the same time though, if you have legal rights to certain privileges in a job, normally you'll take advantage of them within the rules. I would have done the same thing, so Leslie is not to blame here; the rules are.
 
El Barto
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

At the same time though, if you have legal rights to certain privileges in a job, normally you'll take advantage of them within the rules. I would have done the same thing, so Leslie is not to blame here; the rules are.

Exactly , so instead of having the Conservatives point finger and blame they could step in and tighten the rules. I bet this is welcome news for them tho , to take the heat over the senator thing that is stuck on them.


That is the difference between Politics and Governing.
Verbal dancing around the issues instead of fixing the actual problem sensibly.


I would want some sort of law or rule that all government expenses be transparent and detailed for the public viewing.
That said who would take the time to view it?
 
petros
+1
#8
$73K? Whatever happened to a couple buddies, a case of beer and some steaks?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

$73K? Whatever happened to a couple buddies, a case of beer and some steaks?

Beer goes good with take-out pizza...and no cooking...
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Beer goes good with take-out pizza...and no cooking...

Point taken.
 
El Barto
+1
#11
For this price it must be all dressed pizza with Caviar extra
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

For this price it must be all dressed pizza with Caviar extra

but of course he is a liberal and entitled to his entitlements .
 
El Barto
+3
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

but of course he is a liberal and entitled to his entitlements .

apparently if you can look past left and right you will see this is pretty common among any who join the Government......Cracks like that only come from blind rhetoric's
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#14
This issue will get hot enough such that the actual cost (ie invoice) will be analyzed and things will (or won't) move from there.

73k to move one household within the same community will be almost impossible to justify when a comparative cost analysis is done
 
Tecumsehsbones
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

apparently if you can look past left and right

Yeah, that'll happen.
 
Machjo
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

This issue will get hot enough such that the actual cost (ie invoice) will be analyzed and things will (or won't) move from there.

73k to move one household within the same community will be almost impossible to justify when a comparative cost analysis is done

Another detail to consider. Did he spend the money and DND reimbursed him, or did DND spend the money directly?
 
BornRuff
+3
#17
Funny that this would come out right before he speaks at the Liberal convention.

Too bad you left out the little detail about how he didn't bill anyone for anything. The DND makes all of the arrangements so they are in control of all of that.

The main part of this cost is that they pay the Realtor fees. Since commission is often around 5% total, that is 50k on a million dollar home. Given house prices in some cities, I'm sure they have had to pay fees on lots of homes around that price.
 
petros
#18
I'm entitled. I'm entitled to everything I earned and will earn.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#19
Like everyone else on the government titt, he's entitled to his entitlements
 
petros
#20
Only the elected and appointed make it to the teat. The rest get slop.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Funny that this would come out right before he speaks at the Liberal convention.

Too bad you left out the little detail about how he didn't bill anyone for anything. The DND makes all of the arrangements so they are in control of all of that.

The main part of this cost is that they pay the Realtor fees. Since commission is often around 5% total, that is 50k on a million dollar home. Given house prices in some cities, I'm sure they have had to pay fees on lots of homes around that price.


I see, so, if we were to take what might be an average for a typical move (or even above average) by the DND for any soldier and family, would we see a high 5 figure expenditure every time?

.. You don't have to answer btw
 
BornRuff
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I see, so, if we were to take what might be an average for a typical move (or even above average) by the DND for any soldier and family, would we see a high 5 figure expenditure every time?

.. You don't have to answer btw

If they are paying for Realtor costs when selling homes, then yeah, there are definitely going to be lots of examples in this same range. It would mostly depend on where the family was living before the move.
 
petros
#23
Good money in being a Realator but I just can't see myself in a blazer or having my face on a bust stop seat tagged by a jib rat
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

The main part of this cost is that they pay the Realtor fees. Since commission is often around 5% total, that is 50k on a million dollar home. Given house prices in some cities, I'm sure they have had to pay fees on lots of homes around that price.

Don't be so silly. Nobody gets the realtor fees paid when moving within the same city.
 
DaSleeper
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Funny that this would come out right before he speaks at the Liberal convention.

Too bad you left out the little detail about how he didn't bill anyone for anything. The DND makes all of the arrangements so they are in control of all of that.

The main part of this cost is that they pay the Realtor fees. Since commission is often around 5% total, that is 50k on a million dollar home. Given house prices in some cities, I'm sure they have had to pay fees on lots of homes around that price.

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

If they are paying for Realtor costs when selling homes, then yeah, there are definitely going to be lots of examples in this same range. It would mostly depend on where the family was living before the move.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Don't be so silly. Nobody gets the realtor fees paid when moving within the same city.

All these statements and no proof or link....


former prime minister jean chretien explains - YouTube

 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
#26
Originally there was nothing wrong with the system. Having said that the program
became something much more than it was intended to be apparently. Years ago
we were dealing with people who had ethics and integrity.
It used to be companies and governments paid for a move when they wanted to
transfer an employee to a location to further the interests of the company or the
institution. That I don't have a problem with. What happens now is the people
who are subject to moves or retirement now get privileges never intended by the
original set of rules. We need to go to the original intent as there are valid reasons
for payment this is not one of them.
Again its not the original rule that is the problem its the people authorizing or
using them to unintended advantage
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

All these statements and no proof or link....

Most of us are adults and don't have to be spoon fed. Is there something in particular you disagree with?
 
BornRuff
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Don't be so silly. Nobody gets the realtor fees paid when moving within the same city.

Well, apparently those in the DND do.
 
DaSleeper
-1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Most of us are adults and don't have to be spoon fed. Is there something in particular you disagree with?

Bull Bull Bull SONG - YouTube

 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Well, apparently those in the DND do.

Really? Do tell.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Is there something in particular you disagree with?

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Bull Bull Bull SONG - YouTube

Doing your dance again I see. Perhaps you should abstain from posting on these threads that are over your head
 

Similar Threads

1
no new posts