Conservatives to table bill that will reorganize Elections Canada

Locutus
The Conservative government will introduce changes to the Elections Act this week that caucus members expect to restructure the office in charge of investigating violations.

Pierre Poilievre, the minister of state for democratic reform, said in an interview with CBC radio broadcast Saturday that there will be a technical briefing this week for journalists to explain the new bill.
“It’s the Fair Elections Act,” Poilievre said. “And that’s why we’re having a technical briefing.”

Conservative sources expect the bill to reorganize of the branch of Elections Canada that investigates and prosecutes electoral crimes.

Poilievre did not respond to requests for more information on the weekend, but he sent several tweets about the bill.

“We will make it easier to vote and harder to break the law,” said one.

Another tweet promised that the government will “close loopholes to big money, and give law enforcement sharper teeth, a longer reach and a freer hand.”

more

Conservatives to table bill that will reorganize Elections Canada | canada.com

Liberalman
+1
I guess that is one way the federal Canadian Conservatives can get rid of free elections just because they know that the average person can't make good choices in the voting booth

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

I guess that is one way the federal Canadian Conservatives can get rid of free elections just because they know that the average person can't make good choices in the voting booth

Sweet.. That is so cool

Next step - pass legislation banning the Liberal Party all together

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sweet.. That is so cool

WHy ban them? The dippers have made them into an irrelevant also ran anyway.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
It'd still be nice to stomp the last tiny bit of life remaining in them.. Just for sh*ts and giggles of course

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
I' more concerned about the rise in dippers. Bad for the economy.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Only if they take power.. Besides, from a Federal standpoint, they can't go in and screw with prov resources.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

Only if they take power.. Besides, from a Federal standpoint, they can't go in and screw with prov resources.

No but they can and will create a poor climate for investment. And raise taxes.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

No but they can and will create a poor climate for investment. And raise taxes.

It will only come back to hurt the Feds.... Bad investment climate means less cash in the economy to tax, and increasing taxes (like a carbon tax) gets passed directly down to the consumer.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I wonder what the sneaky Liberal turncoat from Toronto will roll into the mix for the conned to swallow

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+4
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Um, how does restructuring the investigative part of EleCan get rid of free elections? Personally, I kinda like better investigations against illegal voting and making it harder to buy elections.
Now, if that is actually the Cons intentions, I'm all for it. If they have shenanigans in mind, I hope it turns around and bites their asses.

B00Mer
Libertarian

Sweet.. That is so cool

Yup, McCarthyism...

Imprison those Gay Loving, Pot Smoking, Welfare Seeking, , Anti-War, Anti-Capitalist, Womanizing, Feminist, Sociaslist, Communist, Liberals once and for all...

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Yup, McCarthyism...

Imprison those Gay Loving, Pot Smoking, Welfare Seeking, , Anti-War, Anti-Capitalist, Womanizing, Feminist, Sociaslist, Communist, Liberals once and for all...

Imprison? Who said anything about that?

I was thinking more along the lines of fashioning a piece of iron into an 'L' shaped branding iron and searing it into the foreheads of all Lib Party members... Imprisoning them would be inhumane

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+2
The federal conservatives have been at war with an open society for a long time.
Now its the elections act, finding the guilty shouldn't be too hard.
They have Senators that were over spending and campaigning for them during
the last election. Senators are not supposed to be campaigning
They ran a fowl of the election law, there is the robocall scandal, they have now
muzzled scientists cause they are not in keeping wit ideology. The civil service
can't in any way be critical. and the list goes on.
This is a symptom of something its called FEAR they know the opposition Liberals
are gaining strength and their number don't go up and down anymore they are
either flat or going down from poll to poll.
The problem for any new government will be to try to undo some of the nonsense
that has been going on. Canada will recover though. They just have to get rid of
Harper

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
Even the name "Fair Election Act" gives me the heebie-jeebies.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

They just have to get rid of Harper

And replace him with who? Mr. shiny pony? Mr. I dunno whether I wannabe French or Canadian AKA Mr. Temper tantrum?
They're all scary, IMO, but at least we're used to Mr. My way or the highway.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The federal conservatives have been at war with an open society for a long time.
Now its the elections act, finding the guilty shouldn't be too hard.
They have Senators that were over spending and campaigning for them during
the last election. Senators are not supposed to be campaigning
They ran a fowl of the election law, there is the robocall scandal, they have now
muzzled scientists cause they are not in keeping wit ideology. The civil service
can't in any way be critical. and the list goes on.
This is a symptom of something its called FEAR they know the opposition Liberals
are gaining strength and their number don't go up and down anymore they are
either flat or going down from poll to poll.
The problem for any new government will be to try to undo some of the nonsense
that has been going on. Canada will recover though. They just have to get rid of
Harper

Yeh the Liberal Senators stopped campaigning for the party last week due to orders from above .

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

And replace him with who? Mr. shiny pony? Mr. I dunno whether I wannabe French or Canadian AKA Mr. Temper tantrum?
They're all scary, IMO, but at least we're used to Mr. My way or the highway.

there's a ringing endorsement.

no new posts