Conservatives to table bill that will reorganize Elections Canada

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Conservative government will introduce changes to the Elections Act this week that caucus members expect to restructure the office in charge of investigating violations.

Pierre Poilievre, the minister of state for democratic reform, said in an interview with CBC radio broadcast Saturday that there will be a technical briefing this week for journalists to explain the new bill.
“It’s the Fair Elections Act,” Poilievre said. “And that’s why we’re having a technical briefing.”

Conservative sources expect the bill to reorganize of the branch of Elections Canada that investigates and prosecutes electoral crimes.

Poilievre did not respond to requests for more information on the weekend, but he sent several tweets about the bill.

“We will make it easier to vote and harder to break the law,” said one.

Another tweet promised that the government will “close loopholes to big money, and give law enforcement sharper teeth, a longer reach and a freer hand.”

more

Conservatives to table bill that will reorganize Elections Canada | canada.com

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I guess that is one way the federal Canadian Conservatives can get rid of free elections just because they know that the average person can't make good choices in the voting booth

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess that is one way the federal Canadian Conservatives can get rid of free elections just because they know that the average person can't make good choices in the voting booth
Um, how does restructuring the investigative part of EleCan get rid of free elections? Personally, I kinda like better investigations against illegal voting and making it harder to buy elections.
Now, if that is actually the Cons intentions, I'm all for it. If they have shenanigans in mind, I hope it turns around and bites their asses.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yup, McCarthyism...

Imprison those Gay Loving, Pot Smoking, Welfare Seeking, , Anti-War, Anti-Capitalist, Womanizing, Feminist, Sociaslist, Communist, Liberals once and for all... :lol:

Imprison? Who said anything about that?

I was thinking more along the lines of fashioning a piece of iron into an 'L' shaped branding iron and searing it into the foreheads of all Lib Party members... Imprisoning them would be inhumane

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The federal conservatives have been at war with an open society for a long time.
Now its the elections act, finding the guilty shouldn't be too hard.
They have Senators that were over spending and campaigning for them during
the last election. Senators are not supposed to be campaigning
They ran a fowl of the election law, there is the robocall scandal, they have now
muzzled scientists cause they are not in keeping wit ideology. The civil service
can't in any way be critical. and the list goes on.
This is a symptom of something its called FEAR they know the opposition Liberals
are gaining strength and their number don't go up and down anymore they are
either flat or going down from poll to poll.
The problem for any new government will be to try to undo some of the nonsense
that has been going on. Canada will recover though. They just have to get rid of
Harper

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The federal conservatives have been at war with an open society for a long time.
Now its the elections act, finding the guilty shouldn't be too hard.
They have Senators that were over spending and campaigning for them during
the last election. Senators are not supposed to be campaigning
They ran a fowl of the election law, there is the robocall scandal, they have now
muzzled scientists cause they are not in keeping wit ideology. The civil service
can't in any way be critical. and the list goes on.
This is a symptom of something its called FEAR they know the opposition Liberals
are gaining strength and their number don't go up and down anymore they are
either flat or going down from poll to poll.
The problem for any new government will be to try to undo some of the nonsense
that has been going on. Canada will recover though. They just have to get rid of
Harper
Yeh the Liberal Senators stopped campaigning for the party last week due to orders from above .