Ford deliberately crafting a faulty budget

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Rob Ford’s secret budget plan is destined to fail, and that's just the way he wants it

A Toronto city council meeting intended to establish the 2014 budget, expected to include a secretive budget proposal put forward by Mayor Rob Ford, was bound the get ugly.

But no one thought it would get so ugly, so fast.

Within moments of council session getting under way Thursday morning, Ford had already told one councillor to "shut up" and a recess was called after public spectators began shouting and chanting.

Shortly after the council session began, Ford got into a shouting match with conservative Coun. Michael Thompson. "No, you shut up," Ford yelled at one point, before a recess was called.

Ford has yet to unveil his secret plan, which he says will save the city $60 million.

The problem is that the motion appears to be a fireworks display intended for failure. Ford assumes his motion will be rejected. But by keeping its contents secret until the 11th hour he has ensured it. A cynic might suggest that failure is Ford's goal. It works well with his election narrative: The gravy train is loose again.

“I’m going to save $60-million and it’s up to the councillors to vote for it. And if they don’t they have to answer to the taxpayers," Ford said before the council meeting, according to the National Post. "I’m putting stuff forward, I want to see what they do. If they want to ridicule me, fine go ahead. But I want to see what they’re going to do to save the money. That’s the bottom line.”

Consider. The budget committee has been working since early November, and probably before that, to debate and consider various budged issues and proposals ahead of Wednesday's council debate. It was a conversation that played out in public.

Ford, meantime, started hinting at his own budget proposal earlier this week, but refused to divulge details to other councillors.

The details were instead released in a Toronto Sun article and published Wednesday. This, Ford told reporters, should give councillors enough opportunity to consider his plan.

According to the Sun's article, Ford's proposal caps the property tax increase at 1.75 per cent – 0.5 per cent of which is earmarked for the Scarborough subway project. The budget committee’s own proposal, backed by Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, recommends a 2.23 per cent increase (0.5 per cent of which is earmarked for the subway).

According to the Sun, Ford's plan also includes 25 motions that vary from asking city staff to find private money to cover Pan Am Game celebrations, push for provincial changes that would allow the city to force people to pay unpaid library fines and cut council's general expense budget by $400,000.

The full savings are said to be $60 million. Considering Ford has set this motion up to fail, its real value will be seen on the campaign trail.

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly said Ford is within his rights to keep his plans secret until they are unveiled to council.

"I'm expecting, as other are, a flurry of motions coming from him on a range of items. But what exactly he will propose, I don't know," he told CP24. "According to the budget chief, his proposals have already been vetted; they have already been looked at and analyzed, and discounted."

A secret budget proposal poised to fail? At least Toronto politics isn’t boring.

Rob Ford’s secret budget plan is destined to fail, and that's just the way he wants it
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jan 30th, 2014 at 03:20 PM..

Locutus
and?

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

and?

It is pretty low for him to screw with our city in this way for his own political gain.

We are paying him more than enough money. If he really wants to save Toronto money he should be making a good faith effort to do so.

Locutus

BornRuff
Not to mention, his plan is pretty asinine.

The largest chunk of it is just telling the city to ask private companies to give us 19 million dollars.

Another 2.5 million is supposed to come from charging a "fee" for a low income subsidy program, which is really just lowering the subsidy by 2.5 million dollars. I don't think anyone but Ford is ok with the idea of taking money from the lowest income people in order to balance the budget.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Not to mention, his plan is pretty asinine.

The largest chunk of it is just telling the city to ask private companies to give us 19 million dollars.

Another 2.5 million is supposed to come from charging a "fee" for a low income subsidy program, which is really just lowering the subsidy by 2.5 million dollars. I don't think anyone but Ford is ok with the idea of taking money from the lowest income people in order to balance the budget.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
Ford is preparing for a confrontational election now he has even turned on his
conservative friends apparently. This man is a political parasite of the worst
kind and if he gets re-elected the problems for Toronto will get a lot worse.
Just the mention of hanging round with alleged underworld figures from the
various undesirable areas means money will start to flow out of the city that's
how it works.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Ford is preparing for a confrontational election now he has even turned on his
conservative friends apparently. This man is a political parasite of the worst
kind and if he gets re-elected the problems for Toronto will get a lot worse.
Just the mention of hanging round with alleged underworld figures from the
various undesirable areas means money will start to flow out of the city that's
how it works.

Hopefully people will see through stuff like this current display and hold him accountable.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
#9  Top Rated Post

Hopefully people will see through stuff like this current display and hold him accountable.

And vote him back in . I would love to see all the exploding heads . That would be more entertaining than the super bowl .

Walter
If his plan is secret who told you?

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

If his plan is secret who told you?

Secret would not really be appropriate. He has been going on about this for months now.

"I can save us 50 million dollars but I'm not going to tell you how because you were mean to me!"

That is how all politicians who are serious about getting their ideas into law act, right?

Walter

Secret would not really be appropriate. He has been going on about this for months now.

"I can save us 50 million dollars but I'm not going to tell you how because you were mean to me!"

That is how all politicians who are serious about getting their ideas into law act, right?

Right.

petros
I'm glad I don't live there.

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I'm glad I don't live there.

Me, too. But it's fun to watch the heads of the left explode a few times a weeks.

petros
It's a great city it just has serious political issues and no work.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It's a great city it just has serious political issues and no work.

Lots o' work but it's a magnet for welfare bums. TO is the biggest landlord in TO.

BornRuff

Lots o' work but it's a magnet for welfare bums. TO is the biggest landlord in TO.

Big cities always have a higher concentration of people who need support. People come, and stay, where the support is, and that is always in bigger cities.

Nuggler

I don't live there either, and, not liking big cities, wouldn't want to. But: Walter - where's the work, and why is it a magnet. ?
Are their welfare laws not mandated by Ont. ?? Just asking - dunno.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

I don't live there either, and, not liking big cities, wouldn't want to. But: Walter - where's the work, and why is it a magnet. ?
Are their welfare laws not mandated by Ont. ?? Just asking - dunno.

Don't need a car to get around TO. Most jobs in ON are in TO.

Nuggler
+1

Don't need a car to get around TO. Most jobs in ON are in TO.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, k.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, k.

Forgot the words? Nouns are the first to go.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
He may as well keep trying to screw Toronto over. His bid to be PM is pretty much f ... er ... booked

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

He may as well keep trying to screw Toronto over. His bid to be PM is pretty much f ... er ... booked

You're not booking kidding.

Forgot the words? Nouns are the first to go.

That's true.

Here's another fun fact for, oh, no particular reason: the word government is a ten letter word that has a 'v' in it.

tay
Torontonians Don't Want to Pay for Fords Subway

Majority of Toronto residents prefer Scarborough LRT over subway: poll | 680News

Liberalman
Toronto city councilors will have to answer to the voters of their efforts to execute a coup d'etat and rob the Toronto voters of democracy.

55Mercury
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

You're not booking kidding.

That's true.

Here's another fun fact for, oh, no particular reason: the word government is a ten letter word that has a 'v' in it.

your v a g i n a t i o n is getting the better of you.

oops ^there's another one!

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Torontonians Don't Want to Pay for Fords Subway
Majority of Toronto residents prefer Scarborough LRT over subway: poll | 680News

"Leger surveyed 523 Toronto adults over the age of 18"

I see about the same number of people here each day. Most of them breathe through their mouth, can't drive to save their lives and smell like sour milk.

Walter
+1
The LRT will replace the current LRT which is in disrepair and is only a couple of decades old if that. A subway will last 100+ years and service thousands more a day. The best time to build a subway is 20 years ago, the second best time is today.

Liberalman

The LRT will replace the current LRT which is in disrepair and is only a couple of decades old if that. A subway will last 100+ years and service thousands more a day. The best time to build a subway is 20 years ago, the second best time is today.

An elevated subway trains would make more sense and cheaper to build

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

An elevated subway trains would make more sense and cheaper to build

If it is elevated how would it be a subway?