From a Conservative: Our Government is failing our Veterans

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm the conservative. The Harper Government is failing miserably with our veterans past and present and while it is not completely their fault, it is a broken promise. I don't care how much it cost, if we are going to call upon our soldiers and send them into harms way it is our responsibility to be there when they need us.

Sadly, while the other two parties are attempting to score points on this, the fact is that they will be just as lethargic. Canadians should hang their heads in shame for ignoring the present state of affairs.

Veterans fighting service cuts felt disrespected at Fantino meeting - Politics - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm of two minds on this. I don't want to see needed services to veterans but at the same time I would like to see a serious reduction in the number of bureaucrats that feed off the process.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm of two minds on this. I don't want to see needed services to veterans but at the same time I would like to see a serious reduction in the number of bureaucrats that feed off the process.

The process could be sorted out if we got rid of that quasi judicial kangaroo court in Charlottetown called the Veterans appeal Board. They answer to no one and have been screwing veterans for decades.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
RCS voting NDP in the next election confirmed. :)

The mess of the New Veterans Charter was approved by all Members sitting. Not one Nay vote.

The Feds had an est cost future for health care, benefits for wounded Vets of 5/6 Billion plus.
And this was in 2005.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Harper dresses up like he's going fly fishing and says he is 100% behind the troops would they believe him again?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm the conservative. The Harper Government is failing miserably with our veterans past and present and while it is not completely their fault, it is a broken promise. I don't care how much it cost, if we are going to call upon our soldiers and send them into harms way it is our responsibility to be there when they need us.

Sadly, while the other two parties are attempting to score points on this, the fact is that they will be just as lethargic. Canadians should hang their heads in shame for ignoring the present state of affairs.

Veterans fighting service cuts felt disrespected at Fantino meeting - Politics - CBC News

All too true.

This is simply unacceptable.

I loathe Julian Fantino...........I did long before he went into politics.

The Harper gov't could start by kicking his useless arrogant unethical **** out of cabinet completely.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
All too true.

This is simply unacceptable.

I loathe Julian Fantino...........I did long before he went into politics.

The Harper gov't copuld start by kicking his useless arrogant unethical **** out of cabinet completely.

He is a floater, if you catch the drift.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

B... b... but while we appreciate the sacrifice our veterans have done, are you now asking for a moderate sacrifice on the part of taxpayers?

For shame? (I'm being sarcastic of course)

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Veterans Affairs is clearly a broken system.

That being said, should we really have an entire bureaucracy to serve one subset of the population? Dealing with anything that arises directly from military service should be part and parcel of what the Armed Forces does, as other employers are responsible for harm caused to their employees.

Beyond that, our government should be working to provide respectful and dignified treatment for all Canadians, not just a select few who went into a certain field of work.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Veterans Affairs is clearly a broken system.

That being said, should we really have an entire bureaucracy to serve one subset of the population? Dealing with anything that arises directly from military service should be part and parcel of what the Armed Forces does, as other employers are responsible for harm caused to their employees.

Beyond that, our government should be working to provide respectful and dignified treatment for all Canadians, not just a select few who went into a certain field of work.

I went before a review board for an injury. These 2 that were on the board listen to your evidence as presented.
Explaining my duties, and how the injury occurred and such I mentioned the word rucksack.

One, the civilian an appointee asked my what a rucksack was.
True story.
Oh yes, the other was a retired Navy Admiral. Now he knows a ton about army life.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

The two arent mutually exclusive.