Ford abandons threatened lawsuit against city council

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just like the U.S. did with Kuwait!

Mayor Rob Ford is backing down from his threat to mount a court challenge to council’s decision to strip him of most of his powers.

In mid-November, after he admitted to smoking crack cocaine and engaged in other behaviour that made him an international laughingstock, council voted to remove Ford’s non-statutory powers — among them, the right to fire and appoint committee chairs, to govern during emergencies, and to chair the powerful executive committee.

Council also voted to drastically cut his staff budget, resulting in an exodus of many of his staff to the office of Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who took on those powers.

Ford officially remains mayor.

He immediately announced he intended to fight the move, although municipal legal experts were skeptical that a court challenge would have much success.

On Friday, Ford said his decision not to go to court was financial.

“What am I going to keep going to court and spending my own money every time council does something that they shouldn’t do?”

In November, Ford said he didn’t blame councillors for taking away his powers, but said he had “no choice” but to take legal action.

TheStar

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
His poll numbers make him a sure bet for re-election in the fall.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You abjectly dismiss polls.

What was with the sudden change of heart?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So you reference a pre-election poll to prop up an argument.

Doesn't really fall in line with your protocol here.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Why do you always resort to pretending I'm a lefty when you lose an argument?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Just like the U.S. did with Kuwait!

Mayor Rob Ford is backing down from his threat to mount a court challenge to council’s decision to strip him of most of his powers.

In mid-November, after he admitted to smoking crack cocaine and engaged in other behaviour that made him an international laughingstock, council voted to remove Ford’s non-statutory powers — among them, the right to fire and appoint committee chairs, to govern during emergencies, and to chair the powerful executive committee.

Council also voted to drastically cut his staff budget, resulting in an exodus of many of his staff to the office of Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who took on those powers.

Ford officially remains mayor.

He immediately announced he intended to fight the move, although municipal legal experts were skeptical that a court challenge would have much success.

On Friday, Ford said his decision not to go to court was financial.

“What am I going to keep going to court and spending my own money every time council does something that they shouldn’t do?”

In November, Ford said he didn’t blame councillors for taking away his powers, but said he had “no choice” but to take legal action.

TheStar

The guy is a real **** about this kind of stuff. He always makes these ridiculous threats, and when forced to back down because he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, he makes up some excuse to claim it wasn't because he was 100% wrong.

He did the same thing when he got mad at the star during the election campaign. He did the same thing when he threatened to sue former staffers for talking to the police.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure you thought the G20 was handled just fine.
What policing have I wanted? You claim to know what I want. Link to my posts, please.

The guy is a real **** about this kind of stuff. He always makes these ridiculous threats, and when forced to back down because he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, he makes up some excuse to claim it wasn't because he was 100% wrong.

He did the same thing when he got mad at the star during the election campaign. He did the same thing when he threatened to sue former staffers for talking to the police.
Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I still think that Ford has a chance to turn this around if he cannot avoid acting like a Lunatic between now and the next election. Having said that I would now like to introduce all the comebacks from his cough cough detractors...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If and I say if Ford won the election in the fall the people of Toronto will become
the permanent laughing stock of Canada. Can you imagine the image that would
send outside our borders? I can't wait for all the free entertainment we'll get on
everything from night time TV to the international press. Should be fun.
Say did you hear about the guy from Toronto that bought the three magic beans.
Oh we already know that story don't we.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.

He has managed to survive a number of cases against him, though he had to fully concede to Dale in the recent case to avoid going to court.

What I am talking about here though are his constant threats of legal action against other people. He has said he would bring legal action against more people than I can count on my hand, yet he always abandons them when he realizes he has no case.