Ford abandons threatened lawsuit against city council


mentalfloss
#1
Just like the U.S. did with Kuwait!


Ford abandons threatened lawsuit against city council

Mayor Rob Ford is backing down from his threat to mount a court challenge to council’s decision to strip him of most of his powers.

In mid-November, after he admitted to smoking crack cocaine and engaged in other behaviour that made him an international laughingstock, council voted to remove Ford’s non-statutory powers — among them, the right to fire and appoint committee chairs, to govern during emergencies, and to chair the powerful executive committee.

Council also voted to drastically cut his staff budget, resulting in an exodus of many of his staff to the office of Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who took on those powers.

Ford officially remains mayor.

He immediately announced he intended to fight the move, although municipal legal experts were skeptical that a court challenge would have much success.

On Friday, Ford said his decision not to go to court was financial.

“What am I going to keep going to court and spending my own money every time council does something that they shouldn’t do?”

In November, Ford said he didn’t blame councillors for taking away his powers, but said he had “no choice” but to take legal action.

TheStar
 
Walter
+1
#2
His poll numbers make him a sure bet for re-election in the fall.
 
mentalfloss
#3
You abjectly dismiss polls.

What was with the sudden change of heart?
 
Walter
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You abjectly dismiss polls.

What was with the sudden change of heart?

Wrong. I have said the only poll that counts is on election day.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#5
So you reference a pre-election poll to prop up an argument.

Doesn't really fall in line with your protocol here.
 
Walter
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

So you reference a pre-election poll to prop up an argument.

Doesn't really fall in line with your protocol here.

The obtuseness of lefties is infinite.
 
mentalfloss
#7
Why do you always resort to pretending I'm a lefty when you lose an argument?
 
DaSleeper
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Why do you always resort to pretending I'm a lefty when you lose an argument?

????
 
mentalfloss
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

????

Economic liberty isn't the only kind of freedom out there.

And with the amount of policing Walter advocates, he's further left than most here.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
#10

American Dad - Wally World Extra Extended version - YouTube

 
Walter
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

And with the amount of policing Walter advocates, he's further left than most here.

What policing is that?
 
mentalfloss
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

What policing is that?

I'm sure you thought the G20 was handled just fine.
 
BornRuff
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Just like the U.S. did with Kuwait!


Ford abandons threatened lawsuit against city council

Mayor Rob Ford is backing down from his threat to mount a court challenge to council’s decision to strip him of most of his powers.

In mid-November, after he admitted to smoking crack cocaine and engaged in other behaviour that made him an international laughingstock, council voted to remove Ford’s non-statutory powers — among them, the right to fire and appoint committee chairs, to govern during emergencies, and to chair the powerful executive committee.

Council also voted to drastically cut his staff budget, resulting in an exodus of many of his staff to the office of Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who took on those powers.

Ford officially remains mayor.

He immediately announced he intended to fight the move, although municipal legal experts were skeptical that a court challenge would have much success.

On Friday, Ford said his decision not to go to court was financial.

“What am I going to keep going to court and spending my own money every time council does something that they shouldn’t do?”

In November, Ford said he didn’t blame councillors for taking away his powers, but said he had “no choice” but to take legal action.

TheStar

The guy is a real **** about this kind of stuff. He always makes these ridiculous threats, and when forced to back down because he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, he makes up some excuse to claim it wasn't because he was 100% wrong.

He did the same thing when he got mad at the star during the election campaign. He did the same thing when he threatened to sue former staffers for talking to the police.
 
Walter
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm sure you thought the G20 was handled just fine.

What policing have I wanted? You claim to know what I want. Link to my posts, please.

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

The guy is a real **** about this kind of stuff. He always makes these ridiculous threats, and when forced to back down because he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, he makes up some excuse to claim it wasn't because he was 100% wrong.

He did the same thing when he got mad at the star during the election campaign. He did the same thing when he threatened to sue former staffers for talking to the police.

Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

What policing have I wanted? You claim to know what I want. Link to my posts, please.


Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.

Only because he was right. Pun intended.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#16  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

What policing have I wanted? You claim to know what I want. Link to my posts, please.


Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.

You gotta remember that BR never got over Smitherman loosing to Ford.....
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#17
I still think that Ford has a chance to turn this around if he cannot avoid acting like a Lunatic between now and the next election. Having said that I would now like to introduce all the comebacks from his cough cough detractors...
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#18
If and I say if Ford won the election in the fall the people of Toronto will become
the permanent laughing stock of Canada. Can you imagine the image that would
send outside our borders? I can't wait for all the free entertainment we'll get on
everything from night time TV to the international press. Should be fun.
Say did you hear about the guy from Toronto that bought the three magic beans.
Oh we already know that story don't we.
 
BornRuff
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Seems to me he's won a lot of court cases recently.

He has managed to survive a number of cases against him, though he had to fully concede to Dale in the recent case to avoid going to court.

What I am talking about here though are his constant threats of legal action against other people. He has said he would bring legal action against more people than I can count on my hand, yet he always abandons them when he realizes he has no case.
 

Similar Threads

5
Mandel slams Toronto city council
by karrie | Nov 28th, 2012
7
City Council Pass New Drug Legislation
by nitzomoe | Dec 18th, 2005
no new posts