Ontario Libs Introduce NDP Style Worker Protections

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
My Political view on this;

Seems the Liberals are doing everything they can to appeal to Ontario voters. They (liberals) had a long time under Dalton to address the worker protection roll backs of the Harris Cons but up until now, nothing.........

My real life experience on this subject (before I knew of this proposal);

Unpaid wages is an issue I have never experienced but just last week I learned of it first hand.

I went to a trucking company near the Airport (malton) to pick up an order.

The place was locked down like I would imagine the Canadian Mint is. When I got into the back yard loading area the doors were locked and no door bell.

There were various trucks coming in with that companies name on them so I went up to one driver and asked how do I get in the building since there was no door bell and the door was locked.

He told me to go see another driver who had a radio and could call someone.

I do so and the guy calls in and tells them I'm there. He then offers to me that "this company works you like a dog and doesn't pay you". I look at him and he continues "that guy you first asked has missed 7 pays. I just started here and they missed my first pay".

I responded that's no good but you should go to the Labour Board and complain about it. He disses the idea of the LB because he made a complaint to them before about $300.00 he was owed from elsewhere and it's been a year and a half and nothing.

He then says" if these guys don't pay him this week he is going to a lawyer and putting a lien on the business" to which I responded "that will work as I once put a lien on a large biz with a chain for unpaid design work and got paid the day after they got it via certified cheque".

I felt bad for them but I hope he follows through if they don't get paid..............

Bill 146, known as the Stronger Workplaces for a Stronger Economy Act, was introduced by the Ontario government. It seeks to amend a number of employment laws, including the Employment Standards Act (the “ESA”), the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (the “WSIA”), the Occupational Health and Safety Act (the “OHSA”), the Labour Relations Act (the “LRA”) and the Employment Protection for Foreign Nationals Act (Live-in Caregivers and Others) (the "EPFNA"). Bill 146 contains the following significant proposals:

• Removing the $10,000 cap in the ESA in respect of a claim or unpaid wages.
  • Increasing the limitation period in the ESA for a claim of unpaid wages to two years from the prior six months (for unpaid wages) and twelve months (for unpaid vacation pay).
  • Requiring employers to provide a French and English handout containing information about rights under the ESA and, if requested, to provide the handout in one of 23 other languages prepared by the Ministry of Labour.
  • Extending the EPFNA protections to all employees who come to Ontario under an immigration or temporary foreign employee program.
  • Making temporary help agencies and their clients “jointly and severally liable” for unpaid wages under the ESA.
  • Amending the WSIA to require the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board to assign workplace injury costs to temporary help agency clients instead of to the temporary help agencies, when an employee is injured at work.
  • Extending coverage under the OHSA to co-op students, trainees and other unpaid learners.
  • Decreasing the construction industry's open period to two months from three months in the LRA

Legislative Assembly of Ontario | Bills & Lawmaking | Current Parliament | Bill 146, Stronger Workplaces for a Stronger Economy Act, 2013