Enough is enough

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In 1998 I was medically released from the military and became a hardcore advocate of veterans issues, blogging regularly on the subject and catching the attention of politicians and news media. Back then Canadian Troops were serving in a Peacekeeping capacity, but we still had casualties. The official opposition promised that it would change things both in and out of the Canadian Military.

But before that happened I went through some tough changes.

That first year after I was released I went through a major transformation. At the age of 21 I signed on as a soldier and pushing into 33 I suddenly found my identity stripped away. I defined myself as a soldier, I believed in all the things the military instills, brotherhood, honor, integrity. Suddenly on the outside looking in I felt lost in this new civilian life and fell into a state of depression. I had some pretty tough days and harbored thoughts that were self destructive.

When I finally admitted to my wife that I thought I might be clinically depressed I tried to seek help in the civilian healthcare system, what I found there was people pushing prescriptions instead of offering solutions. Paxal was the drug they were recommending, but no one wanted to talk about what ailed me, because honestly, no one understood.

Finally, I did find someone through my Long Term Disability Counselor. He referred me to a clinical psychologist, a retired Colonel who served in the South African Air Force. After the first session I knew I was going to get better and adjust to my new life as a civilian. I was lucky, I didn't lose a leg, or see a friend killed in the line of duty. I never saw action, but the transition from soldier to civilian is tough enough when you go unprepared.

Today we have soldiers who have served in combat, it isn't enough to give them the equipment to do the job, we owe it to them to be there when they need us. After the mission, when they have to cross over from soldier to civilian. It is unacceptable in this day and age that a soldier does not have the support system to deal with the difficulties brought on by service. Especially combat service.

We have asked these soldiers to be there, and go places, to serve this nation. At the very least we owe them the courtesy of helping them after the sacrifices they have made. If we do nothing to change this, shame on all of us for asking for their service.

Write your MP and tell them. Enough is enough.

Master Bombardier Mark J Preston CD Retired
1986 -1998 Royal Canadian Horse Artillery

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is important for Canadians in general to know. The Government regardless of
Party says they support the troops until its time to support the troop. When they
come home they go out of their way to screw them in the ear. Think of all the guys
in WWI and WWII that were not really cared for. Yes they got a break on things,
but what they needed was the kind of support you are talking about. The biggest
problem is politicians can demonstrate supporting buildings and trades and all
the photo op stories. Helping with mental and other issues there is no visual op for
them to gain from. It is time to demand the government do what is required of them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Vets need to organize- Capt Bruyea would be the best to lead this- all Vets Orgs are against and have submitted flaws within the Vets Charter since it was passed.

So some basics on what should be done.

There are 35-40 Ridings in this country- under the 308 - that decide who has a majority.
Vets in public - telling there stories-
Going door to door- asking for signatures to repeal the Vets Charter
The political parties would be asked to repeal the present charter- reinstate the old system.
Party Leaders to be confronted at as many public engagements as possible- Polite but vocal-
Keep the good parts of the charter- not much to keep though.
Signs placed at local business- Legion members visiting their MP - Telling them how it can be at the polls.
Asking business to post signage - Repeal the Vets Charter

It comes down to where Vets Orgs have tried for years to change the Charter- been treated like shxt- time to make their opinions public.
Time to get Organized. And Vets know how to organize-

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Until Vets get organized with a clear focus and public campaign- the Govt will pretend to care - When the general public starts sending in letters- emails- phone calls, then something may happen.

Trust me Vets wont get organized. The people of Canada need to step the **** up.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Goob, Veterans groups aren't issue here. It's government lethargy due to public indifference. It's not enough to put a yellow ribbon on a car.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goob, Veterans groups aren't issue here. It's government lethargy due to public indifference. It's not enough to put a yellow ribbon on a car.

Correct- It needs to have a face- a public face- Non political- but public. The outdated loyalty of Vets not standing up for their rights is outdated.
Govts walk over them.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Politicians give lip service to our soldiers. It is true that what is needed is for us all to stand up for and with our soldiers. Politicians will never do anything unless they feel the pressure. Who can do that? WE CAN.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Correct- It needs to have a face- a public face- Non political- but public. The outdated loyalty of Vets not standing up for their rights is outdated.
Govts walk over them.

Bud I was an advocate for Veterans for quite a number of years. I was interviewed on CBC's Talk TV back in 1999 for a half hour. I helped break the sick Peacekeeping story out of Bosnia, I've talked to numerous politicians and vet groups.

The problem with veterans groups ids there are two many variations. The Legion doesn't like this group, this association doesn't like the HKV--the HKV dont like the KVA--the KVA thinks the PKVA are not real vets and on and on it goes.

The politics and indifference within these groups has and always will exist.

The problem is the public, they must be educated and engaged. Get the voting public engaged and the politicians will listen.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Bud I was an advocate for Veterans for quite a number of years. I was interviewed on CBC's Talk TV back in 1999 for a half hour. I helped break the sick Peacekeeping story out of Bosnia, I've talked to numerous politiciqans and vet groups. The problem with veterans groups ids there are two many variations. The Legion doesn't like this group, this association doesnt like the HKV the HKV dont like the KVA the KVA thinks the PKVA are not real vets and on and on it goes. The politics and indifference within these groups has and always will exist.

The problem is the public, they must be educated and engaged.

Well you have to start somewhere. Just like Idle No More exploded upon the Canadian public consciousness the same can be done with Vets.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Then nothing of real value will happen.
The major problem still seems to be the stigma attached to admitting you have a problem and seeking help from what is there. Throwing money at a problem; that the ones that really need will not take advantage of, is not a solution.

There appears to be some movement afoot to recognize that we do have a problem just accepting the fact of "Mental Health"

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The major problem still seems to be the stigma attached to admitting you have a problem and seeking help from what is there. Throwing money at a problem; that the ones that really need will not take advantage of, is not a solution.

There appears to be some movement afoot to recognize that we do have a problem just accepting the fact of "Mental Health"

The largest hurdle people with mental health issues face is probably stigma. Sadly medical services that lay beyond that are probably not sufficient to handle the real load, but until we can beat the stigma, we won't win any battles in getting anyone the mental health help they need.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Bud I was an advocate for Veterans for quite a number of years. I was interviewed on CBC's Talk TV back in 1999 for a half hour. I helped break the sick Peacekeeping story out of Bosnia, I've talked to numerous politicians and vet groups.

The problem with veterans groups ids there are two many variations. The Legion doesn't like this group, this association doesn't like the HKV--the HKV dont like the KVA--the KVA thinks the PKVA are not real vets and on and on it goes.

The politics and indifference within these groups has and always will exist.

The problem is the public, they must be educated and engaged. Get the voting public engaged and the politicians will listen.

I sympathize because I had family in Bosnia and Korea and all of them were screwed one way or the other when their tours were done. There is a very old reason for the shoddy treatment of veterans, especially in the modern west. Those who arrange these conflicts also arrange the compensations.