Private eyes to hunt for residential school abusers

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The federal government intends to hire private investigators to track down the alleged perpetrators of residential school abuse.

A First Nations woman cheers while taking part in the Walk for Reconciliation in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday September 22, 2013. Thousands of people attended the walk that wrapped up a week Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada events in the city. From the 19th century until the 1970s, more than 150,000 aboriginal children were required to attend state-funded Christian schools in an attempt to assimilate them into Canadian society. They were prohibited from speaking their languages or participating in cultural practices. The commission was created as part of a $5 billion class action settlement in 2006 - the largest in Canadian history - between the government, churches and 90,000 surviving students.

OTTAWA—The Canadian government intends to hire private investigators to track down alleged perpetrators of abuse in the Indian residential school system.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada is seeking private eyes to track down as many as 1,000 clergy members, former residential school staff, and students alleged to have abused Aboriginal children in the residential school system.

The goal is to give the alleged perpetrators an opportunity to participate in a court-ordered adjudication process known as the Independent Assessment Process (IAP), which helps residential school survivors settle claims for the abuse they endured.

Once located, the former residential school employees will be given the chance to voluntarily participate in the IAP.

more

Private eyes to hunt for residential school abusers | Toronto Star

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
children were required to attend state-funded Christian schools in an attempt to assimilate them into Canadian society. They were prohibited from speaking their languages or participating in cultural practices.

All the kids of non-English immigrant kids went through the same thing. There was no Canadian society. It was a sadistic English society fearful of losing their identity as an English Colony as mass immigration of people with funny languages and religions, enemy cultures and dark skin colour.

Canada has a very dark English history and yet the cocksuckers who laid out the Government policy are still honoured today on our money.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My mother in law had it only slightly better in that so many of the clergy were French too that she didn't have to give up her language, but her stories of residential school are not pretty.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I listened to many an elder talk about their experiences in the schools long before the media decided to cover the issue and make it public. But it I don't find this move, tracking down the perps, all that gratifying. Ultimately the government, the ruling class and the churches were to blame for the policies that allowed these atrocities to happen and for the cover up.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I listened to many an elder talk about their experiences in the schools long before the media decided to cover the issue and make it public. But it I don't find this move, tracking down the perps, all that gratifying. Ultimately the government, the ruling class and the churches were to blame for the policies that allowed these atrocities to happen and for the cover up.

The government played the game well though. They apologized and paid out, and started the truth and reconciliation search to tell people what that apology was for. For the organizations not blanketed by that apology, they have to wait on the truth and reconciliation commission to tell them what they are apologizing for. This will be part of that. But, despite thinking it was a maneuver in a game, I think there is value in it. Too many people outside of the issue honestly believe this happened a century ago and that no one alive today did any of this. There's a mental disconnect there. We know there are victims alive, but people still constantly say 'anyone who did this is dead and gone'.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have friends 5 years younger than I am that attend residential schools. They got their ar$e money even though they enjoyed going there.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The government played the game well though. They apologized and paid out, and started the truth and reconciliation search to tell people what that apology was for. For the organizations not blanketed by that apology, they have to wait on the truth and reconciliation commission to tell them what they are apologizing for. This will be part of that. But, despite thinking it was a maneuver in a game, I think there is value in it. Too many people outside of the issue honestly believe this happened a century ago and that no one alive today did any of this. There's a mental disconnect there. We know there are victims alive, but people still constantly say 'anyone who did this is dead and gone'.
So true. There is also a disconnect with the fact the there were ten generations exposed to the abuse. That has a compounding effect on cellular and cultural memory. Very few in the dominant culture can grasp the magnitude of the problems created by the abuse over ten generations.