Will Harper Take a Big Climate Change Opportunity?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Former Progressive Conservative Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was an outspoken global leader on reducing CFCs and his leadership culminated in the Montreal Accord that saw 191 countries agree to phasing out ozone depleting chemicals.

Harper's lack of performance, and in many cases outright opposition to deal on climate change, is not only being noticed by the international community, it is also starting to be noticed at home.

A poll out late last week finds that a large majority -- almost 60 percent -- of Canadians agree that climate change should be a top issue for the Harper government. A whopping 76 per cent say that Canada should sign on to a new international agreement to limit greenhouse gas emissions.

Look no further than the hundreds of events being planned across the country for a "Defend our Climate, Defend our Communities" day of action being held this coming weekend. Such a show of discontent in the streets and in front of MP's offices has to have Harper and his minions at least a little worried.

Will Harper Take a Big Climate Change Opportunity? | Kevin Grandia

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Former Progressive Conservative Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was an outspoken global leader on reducing CFCs and his leadership culminated in the Montreal Accord that saw 191 countries agree to phasing out ozone depleting chemicals.

Harper's lack of performance, and in many cases outright opposition to deal on climate change, is not only being noticed by the international community, it is also starting to be noticed at home.

A poll out late last week finds that a large majority -- almost 60 percent -- of Canadians agree that climate change should be a top issue for the Harper government. A whopping 76 per cent say that Canada should sign on to a new international agreement to limit greenhouse gas emissions.

Look no further than the hundreds of events being planned across the country for a "Defend our Climate, Defend our Communities" day of action being held this coming weekend. Such a show of discontent in the streets and in front of MP's offices has to have Harper and his minions at least a little worried.

Will Harper Take a Big Climate Change Opportunity? | Kevin Grandia
That many stupid people in Canadu hu? Or did they just poll the lefty elite in Toronto? What signing these feel good agreements will do to our economy and therefore their entitlements should be of far more concern than to look as foolish as other wirld leaders.
We do need to defend our communities against the AWG tinhatters.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That many stupid people in Canadu hu? Or did they just poll the lefty elite in Toronto? What signing these feel good agreements will do to our economy and therefore their entitlements should be of far more concern than to look as foolish as other wirld leaders.
We do need to defend our communities against the AWG tinhatters.
Dude, the climate's changing. I don't know what it's like where you are, but it's been noticeable here.

We have to do something, but I haven't seen an idea that doesn't cause a massive impact on the people day to day lives.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Dude, the climate's changing. I don't know what it's like where you are, but it's been noticeable here.

We have to do something, but I haven't seen an idea that doesn't cause a massive impact on the people day to day lives.

There is no solution.

Unless you entertain thoughts such as, much less humans as a solution.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I agree--no easy solution. I think we could pick the low-hanging fruit though, like carbon sequestration technology for large emitters. Fact is though, that North America and Europe are plateuing on energy consumption and GHG emissions, whereas in Asia you have billions coming into a newfound middle class there. That's where you'll see most of the emissions coming from in the future, I imagine. I'd also like to see lots of R&D on alternative energy technologies. Maybe fusion will save us. That's getting closer. Thorium reactors.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is no solution.
Yes there is, we've managed to accomplish a hell of a lot as a species. We need to stop looking at the planet's ill health as a political issue. AND! We need to address all her ills, not just the climate.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes there is, we've managed to accomplish a hell of a lot as a species. We need to stop looking at the planet's ill health as a political issue. AND! We need to address all her ills, not just the climate.

Can you say that in a big bold print? Oh nevermind, I'll do it myself.

We need to stop looking at the planet's ill health as a political issue.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I agree--no easy solution. I think we could pick the low-hanging fruit though, like carbon sequestration technology for large emitters.
That's part of the problem, that cost will be past on to consumers, of which we have people on fixed incomes who are at the end of their financial limits as it is.

That's the problem with low hanging fruit, it's a quick fix, without examining the impacts down the line.

Fact is though, that North America and Europe are plateuing on energy consumption and GHG emissions, whereas in Asia you have billions coming into a newfound middle class there. That's where you'll see most of the emissions coming from in the future, I imagine.
In the future? Isn't China already the #1 polluter now?

Did you really need to put my extremely non conservative opinion in conservative blue?

You know there are people here who haven't quite figured out I'm not a conservative yet eh?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know there are people here who haven't quite figured out I'm not a conservative yet eh?

My bad. I just thought it was pretty is all.

Better? My eyes hurt now but your political reputation is now safe.;)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

It has always changed. Actually it hasn't changed much on the south coast. The way I see it the AWG crowd is basically doing the chicken little thing while ignoring simple things we can do. Like refuse to buy things in big plastic packages. Use paper bags instead of plastic. Reward companies that spend money to be energy efficient. and recycle. Compost instead of throwing organics in the dump. I can think of lots of things to help the planet without destroying our economy or making us all into third world countries.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Better? My eyes hurt now but your political reputation is now safe.;)
I'll kiss'em better, and thanks.

It has always changed.
Not like this dude.

Actually it hasn't changed much on the south coast. The way I see it the AWG crowd is basically doing the chicken little thing while ignoring simple things we can do. Like refuse to buy things in big plastic packages. Use paper bags instead of plastic. Reward companies that spend money to be energy efficient. and recycle. Compost instead of throwing organics in the dump. I can think of lots of things to help the planet without destroying our economy or making us all into third world countries.
That's what we need! But there has to be incentive, punitive only hurts the lower income earners and fixed income folk.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It has always changed. Actually it hasn't changed much on the south coast. The way I see it the AWG crowd is basically doing the chicken little thing while ignoring simple things we can do. Like refuse to buy things in big plastic packages. Use paper bags instead of plastic. Reward companies that spend money to be energy efficient. and recycle. Compost instead of throwing organics in the dump. I can think of lots of things to help the planet without destroying our economy or making us all into third world countries.

What extremes on both sides are doing is ignoring simple things. And it doesn't take radically changing all our lives nor does it mean the economy will tank just for taking it seriously.

While I don't subscribe to the 'chicken little' viewpoint, there is no way anyone can reasonably say that we don't have a huge impact on our environment. We affect the world, we need to take that seriously and be more responsible.

The things I do for you. :D

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

We accomplish great things only in departments that suits our nature.
Every solution being suggested, goes against our human nature.

It's fruitless to go against millions of years of evolution.
Humans won't change their basic nature.

Rape and pillage.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We accomplish great things only in departments that suits our nature.
Every solution being suggested, goes against our human nature.

It's fruitless to go against millions of years of evolution.
Humans won't change their basic nature.

Naturalistic fallacy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Not like this dude.

That's what we need! But there has to be incentive, punitive only hurts the lower income earners and fixed income folk.

Medieval England was warmer than it is now.

Financial incentives work better for business than a stick. Low income is a whole nuther story but if we did everything the AWG crowd wants they will be impacted much more seriously than following Harper's plan.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
What?

No, I just mean to say that you can't assume that right course of action is always the 'natural' one.

That's why this problem has no easy solution. Because none of the solution fall under our human nature.

That's my point. The solution has to be natural to human behaviour, if you want everyone to jump on board.

Like starting a great world war and weeding out the Hurd. Now that's a solution our human nature can follow threw on..

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Financial incentives work better for business than a stick. Low income is a whole nuther story but if we did everything the AWG crowd wants they will be impacted much more seriously than following Harper's plan.
I won't argue with that. But I will stand by the fact that we need to address the impacts we are having on the planet, across the board, not just the climate.

Naturalistic fallacy.
Hey! Good for you, you finally got one right.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Like starting a great world war and weeding out the Hurd. Now that's a solution our human nature can follow threw on..

How about we start with you. By the looks of it, that would be a huge reduction.