Trudeau’s call for carbon tax remarkable

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He is a Lieberal. Never enough taxes.

I found the part about his adviser being a lobbyist to be the most interesting part of the article. No conflict of interest or anything.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Maggie's son all the way through.. simple minded, naive and credulous.. and completely in the thrall of malevolent forces that have grouped themselves around Global finance and trade.. of which AGW, carbon credits and radical environmentalism are an integral device (and fraud).. for limiting and sequestering production to maximize profit AND to impoverish and enslave vast sectors of humanity.

Unfortunately Justin is a fool.. and already well beyond his natural level of competence.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In the past I oft mused that Shiny Pony should take up skiing like Michael, or flying like JFK Jr.

I've seen nothing that changes that musing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Open your eyes a wee bit there chum.

The Carbon Tax that is assessed at the producer gets (wait for it) passed down the line to the consumer.

Congratulations, your cost of living just went way up

I was not a fan of it but Stephan Dion's carbon tax at least had a plan (which they may or may not have followed through on) to balance it with income tax cuts. He claimed it was revenue neutral (not sure I bought that). But this is not revenue neutral but just a blatant tax grab.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I was not a fan of it but Stephan Dion's carbon tax at least had a plan (which they may or may not have followed through on) to balance it with income tax cuts. He claimed it was revenue neutral (not sure I bought that). But this is not revenue neutral but just a blatant tax grab.

From what I recall of Dion's plan, it was set up in a fashion to carve more cash from the E&Ps and that's about it... Really, if it was revenue neutral, what would be the point?

Any proposal to limit 'emissions' (the theory of AGW notwithstanding) to have any effectiveness at all, MUST be engaged with the end user.

In my view, it was just a corporate tax aimed at only the O&G industry, but excused heavy mfg, coal, and industry in general... Typical Liberal-based philosophy of punishing a jurisdiction where they have little or no support

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
From what I recall of Dion's plan, it was set up in a fashion to carve more cash from the E&Ps and that's about it... Really, if it was revenue neutral, what would be the point?

Any proposal to limit 'emissions' (the theory of AGW notwithstanding) to have any effectiveness at all, MUST be engaged with the end user.

In my view, it was just a corporate tax aimed at only the O&G industry, but excused heavy mfg, coal, and industry in general... Typical Liberal-based philosophy of punishing a jurisdiction where they have little or no support

I was not a fan of it but I think their idea was that they tax the carbons instead of general income. The theory being if we all sold our cars and started riding our bicycles we would actually pay less tax but if we bought hummers we would pay more. But the government would get the same revenue in the end. That is the theory as I understood it. But as you say it was simplistic and not really properly conceived. Also smelled of big brother telling us what we should be doing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I was not a fan of it but I think their idea was that they tax the carbons instead of general income. The theory being if we all sold our cars and started riding our bicycles we would actually pay less tax but if we bought hummers we would pay more. But the government would get the same revenue in the end. That is the theory as I understood it. But as you say it was simplistic and not really properly conceived. Also smelled of big brother telling us what we should be doing.

There are only a couple of ways that they could tax the carbon and that is at the source (E&P production). The fallout for the consumer is that the E&Ps pass the tax down to the consumer, who in turn pays more for anything that consumes a carbon-based fuel.

Your cost of groceries goes up, utilities (nat gas generated heat/electricity), anything transportation related, etc. It's a mugs game and in the end, the only way to reduce your indirect tax bill (as a consumer) is by consuming less.

Until there is a viable, consistent and economic alternative - any 'proposal' to save the planet from carbon related emissions will ultimately come from the consumer.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There are only a couple of ways that they could tax the carbon and that is at the source (E&P production). The fallout for the consumer is that the E&Ps pass the tax down to the consumer, who in turn pays more for anything that consumes a carbon-based fuel.

Your cost of groceries goes up, utilities (nat gas generated heat/electricity), anything transportation related, etc. It's a mugs game and in the end, the only way to reduce your indirect tax bill (as a consumer) is by consuming less.

Until there is a viable, consistent and economic alternative - any 'proposal' to save the planet from carbon related emissions will ultimately come from the consumer.
It requires thought to come to that conclusion .

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A carbot tax just what the Doctor ordered. Anther environmental tax grab.
If you live in BC you know only too well how this crap works. The real
reason for the tax other than to fill government coffers to finance their shill
games is to fill the collection plate of the new green religion.
There is a tax on fuel, a tax when you buy anything electronic or vehicle parts
and lubricants. It is worse than the bloody HST and these taxes are never
revenue neutral. Accountants take up all the money you would be rebated
in the long run. Remember if they are giving money back they are really
borrowing money from you. Therefore it joins income tax another borrow
money scheme to give back a portion later. Once you require the services
of an accountant there is no revenue neutral anymore.
I am not a conservative but I will not support anymore green taxes to keep
that hoax alive. This is about money, Governments are like service agencies.
their fundraisers are always looking for new ways to collect money to pay the
bills. Here is a suggestion or two.
First figure out which programs to keep and which ones to scale back.
Tell the public your plan and if a tax increase if required at the time impose the tax.
After that LIVE within the means you set out for yourself.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
via bcf

He says he’s not proposing a tax on Alberta because he’s a Liberal from Montreal. He’s doing it, uh, to help Alberta. Yeah, that’s it. To uh, help get that pipeline through.

Sun News : Trudeau’s call for carbon tax remarkable, as is the free pass he gets from Media Party

What is really outrageous is that NO ONE else gave this any real coverage. Despite him making the point numerous times in a speech in Calgary. It seems the MSM is not going to let Trudeau scuttle his own canoe.... :)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
A carbot tax just what the Doctor ordered. Anther environmental tax grab.
If you live in BC you know only too well how this crap works. The real
reason for the tax other than to fill government coffers to finance their shill
games is to fill the collection plate of the new green religion.
There is a tax on fuel, a tax when you buy anything electronic or vehicle parts
and lubricants. It is worse than the bloody HST and these taxes are never
revenue neutral. Accountants take up all the money you would be rebated
in the long run. Remember if they are giving money back they are really
borrowing money from you. Therefore it joins income tax another borrow
money scheme to give back a portion later. Once you require the services
of an accountant there is no revenue neutral anymore.
I am not a conservative but I will not support anymore green taxes to keep
that hoax alive. This is about money, Governments are like service agencies.
their fundraisers are always looking for new ways to collect money to pay the
bills. Here is a suggestion or two.
First figure out which programs to keep and which ones to scale back.
Tell the public your plan and if a tax increase if required at the time impose the tax.
After that LIVE within the means you set out for yourself.
I agree with all of that .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What is really outrageous is that NO ONE else gave this any real coverage. Despite him making the point numerous times in a speech in Calgary. It seems the MSM is not going to let Trudeau scuttle his own canoe.... :)
Don't you remember all the papers they sold during Trudeaumania .They are trying to relive that wet dream .

WTF??? Just because I make good money I should pay more taxes than anyone else in the same bracket? Are you really that fuked in the head?
Of course it just isn't fair that you have no sales tax . We must make it even you know .

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
there are some side topics here of interest as well. One is a belief its unfair that
Alberta has now provincial sales tax. If Alberta doesn't want one why is it unfair?
Alberta can do as Alberta wants.
As for paying a share of taxes, We should all pay our share to administer the
affairs of the company we own called government. For some reason we have a
them and us attittude. Well the them is US and if we got that through out skulls
the THEM who don't give a damn about us would have to sit up and pay attention.
I am not against taxes I am against wasted money on things that don't benefit the
society. Some of us may well agree or not on what those are but at the moment
and for the last generaton of government they don't really have priorities.
Governments must live withing their means and at the same time separate what
is an expense and what is an investment and act accordingly. There are Governments
of all stripes that did that over time In BC WAC Bennet did that Tommy Douglas did
that and a handful of others. You may not agree with their party but these two in
particular had a vision and how to finance it. Neither left huge debts when they were
done. We need some leaders with vision and direction first to clean up the mess and
secondly to put us on the road to a new sustainable future. That being said
Trudeau ain't it period.