Flu shots taxpayer dollars at work or another golden egg for big pharma?

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
I've tried to take as unbiased an approach as possible to researching and analyzing this question, but I've found reliable data hard to find. My personal experience is that the only time I got the flu shot I ended up in hospital! I was in my late forties or early fifties then and haven't had a flu shot since, and haven't gotten the flu or a cold since. I found one website that stated that the big pharmaceutical companies charged Ontario slightly over a billion dollars for vaccine. That's not huge money to the major pharmaceutical companies but it's money that's being spent by our governments on, as far as I can determine, a less than provable benefit to our citizens.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Don't be trying to shoot their cash cow now. Effective or not, dangerous or not, in the end, flu shots play on peoples' fears. The flu is easily preventable through stress management, exercise and natural immune boosters like Elderberry and Echinacea. The flu shots are a scam but people, for the most part, do not take responsibility for their health and big pharma is more than willing to bilk them with a placebo.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Don't be trying to shoot their cash cow now. Effective or not, dangerous or not, in the end, flu shots play on peoples' fears. The flu is easily preventable through stress management, exercise and natural immune boosters like Elderberry and Echinacea. The flu shots are a scam but people, for the most part, do not take responsibility for their health and big pharma is more than willing to bilk them with a placebo.
Is it easier do you suppose Cliffy, to sell someone a bill of goods when they're frightened..?

When the ostensible rationale behind some particular effort is to "save-lives"?

Our government has stigmatized tobacco users but loves the revenue generated by selling booze and gambling...could there be a mixed message here..?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it's a placebo, it'll work just as well as elderberry and echinacea.

There are 40 some colds and flus. When you are midlife you've pretty much had them all and will only feel ****ty for a day.. Children and elderly are the main focus of flu shots.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My doctor recommends it for certain patients with compromised immune systems, those who are pregnant and those who want it. She has never recommended it for me and I have never had one. Hand washing is huge. Most people are not aware of placing their hands on something which may contain the virus, restaurant menus for example and then touching their food (fries, burgers, hot dogs) etc. Or touching magazines in a doctor's office handled by those already ill, then taking it out to their car and touching the steering wheel, or pumping gas that a zillion germy hands have touched.. People at work touch their key boards and then jam their hands into the communal bag of chips or cookies. Yuk. People at work tease me for being a germ-a-phobe...damn right I am, I disinfect keyboards and phones and desk at least once or twice a day...they sneeze and cough and tease. Have at it.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Good Morning Sal!

Did you know that one of the dirtiest things we touch without thinking is currency!?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Good Morning Sal!

Did you know that one of the dirtiest things we touch without thinking is currency!?
Good morning Missplaced!

Yes, money can harbour bacteria as well as virus. I was in retail for years. Only job I've had where I would wash my hands before going to the bathroom as well as after...lol.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Back in 1957 when I was pregnant with our first it was recommended that pregnant women get the flu shot......turned out it was a shot in both arms, and I got sick as a dog for 3 days. So for many many years I refused the flu shots. When it was recommended because my DH is diabetic, I decided to get the flu shot and hope it wouldn't make me so sick again. Before we could get the flu shot I caught the flu, and it was worse than the 3 days, I just kept getting sicker each day until eventually I was sick for 3 weeks. So then I had 2 reasons to get the shot. I have every year now for the past 15 years and I have not had so much as a cold in that length of time. I also try to use hand sanitizer religiously when I am out, touching store carts, money, bathrooms, etc. Those 3 weeks of having the flu taught me a lesson........I sure don't want to do that again!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Germs is good for you. Young, middle or old, germs are what keep you immune system active. Being too sanitary is the worst thing you can do to your immune system. Being sick is like pain. It is your body trying to tell you something. We learn through illness to avoid the situations that cause illness, like stress, distress and over work. I've never had the flu (that I know of) because I challenge my immune system constantly. I have never had serious food poisoning either. I have felt a little queasy on rare occasion but then, the same thing would have made someone else feel like they were dying.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Good Morning to you Christianna!

To the best of my knowledge..{internet-site of all wisdom and knowledge} the current flu vaccines target three viral infections and it's been suggested that the efficacy of this vaccine is questionable given that the predictions regarding what particular strain of virus will emerge as the most common..is more guess than fact-based prediction. I'm glad you've made a decision and are happy with it. Nice to have your perspectives.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I've gotten the flu shot for the last several years with no problem. I haven't had the flu in years and my colds (when I get them) are sniffles and aren'tt generally very bad and last very long. I use hand sanitizer on a regular basis, especially after coughing or sneezing!. I also tend to think that some germs are good so I'm not freakish about the sanitizer. But I also am a firm believer in washing my hands after I do almost everything!!

JMO

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Mornin Dixie:)

Many of the sites I scanned reported that the efficacy of flu vaccines were/are unpredictable in many instances. They may work for some while not having much protection value for others. If you're convinced they work for you..great! There are many who question the stats and research.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Mornin Dixie:)

Many of the sites I scanned reported that the efficacy of flu vaccines were/are unpredictable in many instances. They may work for some while not having much protection value for others. If you're convinced they work for you..great! There are many who question the stats and research.
Conversely , If more like you don't go, the waiting in line for me is much shorter to get my shot every year.
On second thought, people who don't get the flu shot make the line longer at the emerg..
Can't win for loosing:roll:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
But I also am a firm believer in washing my hands after I do almost everything!!

JMO
I don't have a sink in the car so washing my hands after shopping is not possible and I am convinced that shopping carts are very filthy and we all tend to touch our faces often. So I have hand sanitizer in both the car and my purse. The hospital here has hand sanitizer right at the door and a sign asks people to use it on entering...........so I do and I also use it on leaving I mean what better place for germs to hang around ? Lets face it most people aren't there because they are well and healthy. If the hospital thinks hand sanitizer is important then so do I.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Well there's nothing that's really free but I know what Petros means. Just make sure if you can that you don't have an albumen intolerance or you might have some difficulty when you get vaccines that contain egg proteins.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Then you need it. It's free for people at risk or more serious complications as a result of the flu and those who aren't at risk of serious complications pay because it's a waste of money to give it to them.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Here in BC it is free for us not just because he is at risk, we are old. Actually I see mostly old people at the Flu Clinic here but in the midst there are young mother with kids, there are middle aged people and everyone gets the jab no matter. One year I got 2 they asked when I had had a pneumonia I said never and they got me in both arms that year. Then think of the money we save the health program by getting the shot, we do not end up in hospital with the flu taking up lots and lots of dollars that way.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's still a waste if you aren't at risk. Kids and senior sure thing but middle aged without any risk factors it's a pure waste.