Social Engineering for profit

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Now you understand of course that I'm a dinosaur and remember when there weren't TV's and Cell phones and only the wealthiest urbanite owned and drove a horseless carriage. We have to deal with distracted driving because so many folk think their pearls of wisdom will decay and evaporate unless transmitted into the ether while driving down the road at well above the speed limit in many cases...

Sports figures earn multimillion dollar salaries and government at all levels use the same bait and switch dynamics as business to convince us we're governed well...

Kids will soon be conditioned out of the ability to integrate information from around them in the natural world and will instead rely on their cell phones and computers to build the future based on insta-messaging and the Internet.

What impact(s) do we see around us that are actually vested interests conditioning us to relinquish our freedom of thought to say nothing of course of our money and time.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Well perhaps this topic isn't terribly interesting to anyone, but the next time a thousand people are killed in when a sweatshop in Bangladesh collapses, that marketing axiom of a large department store chain that goes something like.."Live better spend less", will ring some bells....?

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Perhaps the hollow emptiness of this particular conversational cavern has to do with several notions implicit in the phrase “social conditioning”.

Social conditioning is a sociological process of training individuals in a society to act or respond in a manner approved by the society in general and specifically, peer groups within society.

Implicit within this concept are even more troublesome notions. Ethics for instance.
If the ethical foundation of our culture or society is manipulated to change the way we assess our ethical and moral fabric as a society, who pays the price for change?

The Ford Motor Company saved eighty-eight million dollars by NOT recalling the Pinto back in the seventies despite the fact that people were being incinerated as consequence of an identified design flaw in that vehicle. Communications giants {Most notably, Rogers and Bell Canada} are actively campaigning to drench the markets with advertising designed to implant a reliance on cellular telephone use and have changed the way people behave.

Our governments have taken a page from the social engineering manual to which businesses in the twenty-first century subscribe. For decades the issue of how well or how poorly we treat our aboriginal peoples finds a willingness on the part of our political systems to minimize and redirect attention away from this situation. This strategy is exactly the same as the efforts by clothing manufacturers to divert attention away from sweatshop economics used to afford the garment industry enormous profits, while the consumer {us} happily purchase lower quality goods at exorbitant prices.

There are far-reaching implications to these economic and philosophical issues that are altering the very substance of what it is to be a Canadian and more importantly, a human being.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the lack of discourse is more due to the fact that what you've posted essentially is like walking in and saying 'hey, have you noticed we have these things in the middle of our faces called noses'?

Unless a topic stirs up argument it generally stays quite quiet, and there's not much to say in regards to your topic other than 'yup'.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the observation Karrie, I thought people might have more to say regarding manipulation at the hands of government and big business. My interest is in inviting people to extrapolate from the known {that nose in the middle of your face:) to situations we find ourselves in that leave us wondering why...?

It would be convenient to chalk up road closures and terrorist bombings, trampling of protections under various nations constitutions and Charters as anomalous happenstance but I personally don't feel that's the situation. I'm hoping people actually care about finding and identifying the genesis of problematic experiences rather than embrace apathy and frustration.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Every advancement in the progress of mankind has brought advantage and disadvantage.
Whether it is communication or sport makes no difference. Used to be in Rome a day at
the arena to watch Christians die was common, then it was bullfighting and now its a game
of Sunday football.
As for notebooks and games it too will be as obsolete as the eight track in the not too distant
future. Social engineering through the schools and other institutions is far more dangerous.
Those people are slowly destroying our freedoms and changing our holidays just like the
Romans did to the Druids and no one pay attention. We are all being manipulated into a new
world order where the privileged have everything given to them by you and I and they gave
us electronic toys to play with while we are economically being enslaved. The trouble is they
will have to give us new toys or they will not control the masses
I still believe the people will wake up and when they do there will be hell to pay. Social
engineering only works for a while till people tire of it

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Every advancement in the progress of mankind has brought advantage and disadvantage.
Whether it is communication or sport makes no difference. Used to be in Rome a day at
the arena to watch Christians die was common, then it was bullfighting and now its a game
of Sunday football.
As for notebooks and games it too will be as obsolete as the eight track in the not too distant
future. Social engineering through the schools and other institutions is far more dangerous.
Those people are slowly destroying our freedoms and changing our holidays just like the
Romans did to the Druids and no one pay attention. We are all being manipulated into a new
world order where the privileged have everything given to them by you and I and they gave
us electronic toys to play with while we are economically being enslaved. The trouble is they
will have to give us new toys or they will not control the masses
I still believe the people will wake up and when they do there will be hell to pay. Social
engineering only works for a while till people tire of it
Damngrumpy

Greetings!

You're assessment is valid however the golden rule is "Whoever has the gold makes the rules" and how long will we survive when our freedoms our choices and our future are left in the hands of people motivated not by ethical or moral principle but by greed and power?
The topics here at Canadian Content that seem most popular are those which people are reacting to circumstance as opposed to proactive vigilance and assessment.

Where we purchase our goods, who we vote for and how we weave the fabric of our culture and our society is at stake and I for one am unwilling to go quietly into that night where acceptance of "snafu" is the norm. We're being driven by the carrot and the stick instead of reason and critical thought.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Locutus has provided us with his observations regarding the saddening state of education and the follow up comment is germane to this thread. "They know all about rappers...etc. and reinforces my conclusion that narcissism is alive and well in our times as the result of social engineering to encourage the proliferation of cellular use. Phones that give people access to the internet where folk suffering from narcissistic personality disorder congregate in the belief that everything is about them and gives support to the notion that they are the center of attention or ought to be. For these folk "its all about me", we see it every day.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Locutus has provided us with his observations regarding the saddening state of education and the follow up comment is germane to this thread. "They know all about rappers...etc. and reinforces my conclusion that narcissism is alive and well in our times as the result of social engineering to encourage the proliferation of cellular use. Phones that give people access to the internet where folk suffering from narcissistic personality disorder congregate in the belief that everything is about them and gives support to the notion that they are the center of attention or ought to be. For these folk "its all about me", we see it every day.

Well we certainly see it a lot around here. It's not the medium (technology) it's that needy individuals who probably can't connect socially anywhere else can force fit a connection in the online world.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Well we certainly see it a lot around here. It's not the medium (technology) it's that needy individuals who probably can't connect socially anywhere else can force fit a connection in the online world.
Hi SLM!

You're right of course and it's difficult to divorce the behavior from the habit, but would ;you agree with me that the technology {and the way it's promoted} amplifies the condition?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What impact(s) do we see around us that are actually vested interests conditioning us to relinquish our freedom of thought to say nothing of course of our money and time.
Say that is part of the grand design that will result in one power setting the standards for the way many cities run themselves. Say city 'a' likes to use a lot of paint on their streets and parking lots under the 'safety' banner but city 'b' sees that as dumping a contaminate out on the city street as and a few years later they do the same thing again because the paint has washed of an been taken to the creeks and streams and in a rural setting that water is often consumed by animals that make it to the dinner plate. The ones that say things have to be painted are not the homeless. That is a controlled society without right being obviously trampled on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hi SLM!

You're right of course and it's difficult to divorce the behavior from the habit, but would ;you agree with me that the technology {and the way it's promoted} amplifies the condition?

I think there's probably a 'superficial' period when technology is very new. It's a novelty then, so there may be a tendency to use it obsessively. But I do think that, eventually once the novelty wears off, it becomes what ever other piece of technology or invention is...a tool that we use as we need/want.

I think we're in an era now of unprecedented rapidly evolving technology. And I think that could perhaps that does 'taint' the overall picture as to what it's doing to 'us'. You follow? I would take a 'wait and see' approach myself.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
I think there's probably a 'superficial' period when technology is very new. It's a novelty then, so there may be a tendency to use it obsessively. But I do think that, eventually once the novelty wears off, it becomes what ever other piece of technology or invention is...a tool that we use as we need/want.

I think we're in an era now of unprecedented rapidly evolving technology. And I think that could perhaps that does 'taint' the overall picture as to what it's doing to 'us'. You follow? I would take a 'wait and see' approach myself.
SLM

A very balanced assessment. Not meaning to be intrusive, but do you have any recollection of the times before television was around? That modern technological development changed the world.

MHZ

Good day!

How a municipality spends its tax dollars is indeed vulnerable to the exercise of social conditioning by the wealthy influential and the promises that are made by politicians to get themselves re-elected. From urban development without foresight, to hollow promises of job growth as entry-point for funneling money to pet projects.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
SLM

A very balanced assessment. Not meaning to be intrusive, but do you have any recollection of the times before television was around? That modern technological development changed the world.

Lol. No. That's a bit before my time.

Sure technology changes the world but good along with bad. I just think right now the pace of advancement, and therefore change, can be a bit overwhelming.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
SLM

I hope you weren't offended by the question, I ask simply because, and I quite agree with what you've said regarding good along with bad, but before television do you think anyone would have timetabled their activities around "All in the Family" or "The Vampire Diaries"?
Here I'm considering the subtle ways that our lives have change through a technology that many didn't think would last tooo long either!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
SLM

I hope you weren't offended by the question,

Nope. Not at all.
I ask simply because, and I quite agree with what you've said regarding good along with bad, but before television do you think anyone would have timetabled their activities around "All in the Family" or "The Vampire Diaries"?
Here I'm considering the subtle ways that our lives have change through a technology that many didn't think would last tooo long either!

If you're asking if I think we'd have as many couch potatoes today were it not for the invention of television, of course we wouldn't. But if you're evaluating the impact of technology on our lives fairly, you have to acknowledge both aspects of it. Couch potatoe(ness? hood?) definitely not one of our greatest achievements.

But, although I was too young to remember it, we also would not have seen the moon landing either.

Anyway, I'd say that we found scheduling our timetables around programming to be problematic. Otherwise the VCR, and now the PVR, would not have been anywhere near as popular.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
SLM

I hope you weren't offended by the question, I ask simply because, and I quite agree with what you've said regarding good along with bad, but before television do you think anyone would have timetabled their activities around "All in the Family" or "The Vampire Diaries"?

The neat part is that we now see people having broken the shackles to said timetable, and instead, when they find free time, they sit down and watch the shows that are waiting for them. My family no longer watches real time broadcast tv.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If there was to be no profit we would all look like Albania. I am not againt profit
I am again irresponsibility and people who are crooks.
chairman Mao said "he who controls the guns controls the butter. here the people
control the government we just chose not to we're making to much money what
does that tell you

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The neat part is that we now see people having broken the shackles to said timetable, and instead, when they find free time, they sit down and watch the shows that are waiting for them. My family no longer watches real time broadcast tv.

That's so last year, isn't it? ;)

Lol