EU, Canada strike landmark historic free trade accord

Locutus
You're the man Steve.

The EU and Canada signed a free trade accord Friday after four years of tough talks, saying it will boost growth and set the stage for others, including a massive EU-US deal.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper hailed it as "the biggest (trade) deal our country has ever made" while European Commission head Jose Manuel Barroso said it was "highly ambitious and far-reaching ... (and) of great importance for the EU economy."

It will provide new opportunities by increasing market access and "be the basis for gaining a strong foothold in the North American market and so provide a catalyst for growth and the creation of jobs in Europe," Barroso said.

more

EU, Canada strike landmark historic free trade accord | RealClear (external - login to view)

Sons of Liberty
+1
The Council of Canadians will go ballistic.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of LibertyView Post

The Council of Canadians will go ballistic.

The first step in getting rid the marketing broads.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+3
Oh great! Not one trade agreement has done anything to help the people of Canada. All they have done is help corporations. One day people will wake up to this fact but it may just be to late. By then our govts will have given all our industry to Asia and all our resources to the rest of the world and the citizens will be left holding out cups begging for spare change.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Oh great! Not one trade agreement has done anything to help the people of Canada. All they have done is help corporations. One day people will wake up to this fact but it may just be to late. By then our govts will have given all our industry to Asia and all our resources to the rest of the world and the citizens will be left holding out cups begging for spare change.

Who cares, will be dead by then.

CDNBear
+1

OAll they have done is help corporations.

And as we all know, corporations are autonomous entities run by automatons.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Who cares, will be dead by then.

I don't plan on dying in the next 10-20 years. Do you?

Goober
Free Thinker

You drive a tractor trailer?
Whose goods do you move?

We pay thru the nose for dairy products due to the marketing board- made quite a few millionaires when they sell their quota.

A huge market for Canada is opening up.

And lastly- who works for Corps- People- what do they earn - money.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

And as we all know, corporations are autonomous entities run by automatons.

Nope, but they are fictional legal entities given the same rights as a person under the law yet their only legal obligation is to maximize profit regardless of how it affects real people.

CDNBear

Nope, but they are fictional legal entities given the same rights as a person under the law yet their only legal obligation is to maximize profit regardless of how it affects real people.

Man, when you miss a point, you really miss a point.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

And lastly- who works for Corps- People- what do they earn - money.

Unfortunately with every new trade deal more of those people become Chinese or Malaysian or some other Asian working for 25 cents an hour.

Goober
Free Thinker

A Corp cannot have the same rights as a person- If they did - The Corp could be sentenced to prison terms.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker

A Corp cannot have the same rights as a person- If they did - The Corp could be sentenced to prison terms.

Check it out man. They do have the same rights, just not the same liablility.

Quote:

Despite not being human beings, corporations, as far as the law is concerned, are legal persons, and have many of the same rights and responsibilities as natural people do.

Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

Check it out man. They do have the same rights, just not the same liablility.

Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Nope- Criminal Code and the Charter-

It was if I recall a Cat plant that closed in southern Ontario- the union refused the cut in salary- about half- they moved production to the US and all the jobs were filled.

Why should Auto Workers get paid so well?
How highly skilled is this work?

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation

I don't plan on dying in the next 10-20 years. Do you?

We won't be holding cups begging for change in the next 10-20 years m8 get off the doom kool aid.

In 150 year when the planet is ransacked dry, and un-habitable.
Last edited by Angstrom; Oct 18th, 2013 at 06:51 PM..

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker

Nope- Criminal Code and the Charter-

It was if I recall a Cat plant that closed in southern Ontario- the union refused the cut in salary- about half- they moved production to the US and all the jobs were filled.

Why should Auto Workers get paid so well?
How highly skilled is this work?

Nice deflection! Sorry to toss the truth at you like that and leave you with no response but to change the subject.

Goober
Free Thinker

Nice deflection! Sorry to toss the truth at you like that and leave you with no response but to change the subject.

Nope.
Is Wiki recognized by Canadian Courts?

CDNBear
+2

Nope.

Nope.

It's not even recognized by Canadian Schools.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker

Nope.

Of course absolutely nothing in wiki is ever true. Even when it refers directly to Canadian commercial law.

Quote:

Like its counterpart in many other common law jurisdictions, a Canadian corporation is a legal entity separate and distinct from its shareholders or directors that holds rights and responsibilities similar to those held by individual Canadians. Notable exceptions are that corporations cannot vote, and enjoy only some of the rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. A corporation can also be referred to as a 'company'.

Canadian corporate law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

CDNBear
+1

Of course absolutely nothing in wiki is ever true.

No one said that. It's fallible. People like you have the ability to edit it.

Quote:

Even when it refers directly to Canadian commercial law.

Why don't you just refer to Canadian commercial law than, instead of posting wikiality links.

I always enjoy reading the way you interpret law. It's funny as hell.
Last edited by CDNBear; Oct 18th, 2013 at 07:29 PM..

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+5
#21  Top Rated Post
Its halloween and Canadians will be tricked into believing its a great deal
until they find out the other trade shoe is going to land on them. I am now
against most trade deals unless there is specific financial benefit for us at
the expense of the other guy. No more racing to the bottom. We get full
time jobs, benefits and wages as they should be. It should also include the
stipulation that manufacturing jobs be brought back to Canada.
After those conditions we could perhaps talk. No more free trade deals in
other words I am tired of Canadians getting shafted

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

Of course absolutely nothing in wiki is ever true. Even when it refers directly to Canadian commercial law.

Canadian corporate law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Wiki scandals- read up on who can edit pages.
Wikipedia's Dark Side: Censorship, Revenge Editing & Bribes (external - login to view)

10 Most Notorious Wikipedia Editing Scandals | Search Engine People | Toronto (external - login to view)

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker

Wiki scandals- read up on who can edit pages.
Wikipedia's Dark Side: Censorship, Revenge Editing & Bribes (external - login to view)

10 Most Notorious Wikipedia Editing Scandals | Search Engine People | Toronto (external - login to view)

Interesting but not really relevant to a legal definition. I just don't see how you can ignore all of wiki over a few edits of a more personal nature.

Anyway feel free to call a lawyer or a judge or sift through Canadian commercial law for yourself. A corporation still has most of the same rights as a human under the law. They can sue and be sued. They can be convicted of a crime even if they can't be sent to jail. They are even given most of the rights in the Charter other than voting. They are defined as a 'legal person' separate from the shareholders. You can believe what you like but I know it is true.

mentalfloss
+3
Can't see much wrong with this deal.

And yes, that pisses me off.

Nuggler
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Can't see much wrong with this deal.

And yes, that pisses me off.

Not gonna come into effect till just before the next erection (Harper hopes)

Many a slip twixt cup and lip.

Tonington
+3

US corporations have more rights resembling those that individuals have, not so much here in Canada. As for no legal obligations...come on. If you get everely injured on the job and there was negligence, very likely your functional or operational manager is going to be charged, as will the company you work for. I'm not saying the deck isn't stacked in favour of big businesses, but come on, there are definitely legal obligations.

As for the free trade deal, it's distressing that these sorts of deals are signed without being publicly vetted. I mentioned this in another thread, Canada is already the 6th most sued country in the world under these sorts of investment treaties. We just have to trust that the Government had our best interests at heart...

Yeah, doesn't sound so good when we put it that way, does it? Government's never make deals particularly favoring certain industries.

Missplaced
Could any of you fine folk direct me to a reliable source for information on all the benefits derived from Stephen's Free Trade Agreement with Colombia? It wasn't my agreement and I'm sorry that I missed the memo informing us all that WE endorsed this deal. Of course it would be fair ball to ask the opposition folk for their overview as well I suppose...

petros

Guess who invests boatloads of money into Corporations on your behalf? The G of C and the Provinces.

YOU are the Corporations.

CookieMonster
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

You're the man Steve.

The EU and Canada signed a free trade accord Friday after four years of tough talks, saying it will boost growth and set the stage for others, including a massive EU-US deal.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper hailed it as "the biggest (trade) deal our country has ever made" while European Commission head Jose Manuel Barroso said it was "highly ambitious and far-reaching ... (and) of great importance for the EU economy."

It will provide new opportunities by increasing market access and "be the basis for gaining a strong foothold in the North American market and so provide a catalyst for growth and the creation of jobs in Europe," Barroso said.

more

EU, Canada strike landmark historic free trade accord | RealClear (external - login to view)

The deal should prove to be interesting - as it now covers government procurement (preventing the provinces, territories from erecting "Buy Canadian" type policies to counter those of the United States. Based on the information available it seems as though "grants, loans and fiscal incentives" will be excluded from the agreement, I guess it comes down to who has deeper pockets to subsidize local companies the Europeans or local municipalities when bidding on contracts. Imagine, if any of these governments decide to award contracts to local industry - they will be taken before an international tribunal. Interesting times ahead.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

US corporations have more rights resembling those that individuals have, not so much here in Canada. As for no legal obligations...come on. If you get everely injured on the job and there was negligence, very likely your functional or operational manager is going to be charged, as will the company you work for. I'm not saying the deck isn't stacked in favour of big businesses, but come on, there are definitely legal obligations.

As for the free trade deal, it's distressing that these sorts of deals are signed without being publicly vetted. I mentioned this in another thread, Canada is already the 6th most sued country in the world under these sorts of investment treaties. We just have to trust that the Government had our best interests at heart...

Yeah, doesn't sound so good when we put it that way, does it? Government's never make deals particularly favoring certain industries.

Necro thread but...

Like the old poster said, we need to make deals in these "free trade" agreements that lessen Canada being sued so much. As i beat a dead horse.