Stand With Ezra!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via bcf

Stand With Ezra! Visit StandwithEzra.ca to learn how!

Price of freedom is high: Ezra wages new battle for free speech

Today in a Toronto court, Khurrum Awan is suing me for critical comments I wrote at the Maclean’s hearing in 2008. I said nothing that hadn’t been said by many critics across the political spectrum, who universally condemned the nuisance suit. But the rest of the media soon dropped the free speech cause. I turned it into an ongoing campaign. So time to apply the “strategic objective” to me.

Visit StandwithEzra.ca to learn how you can help.

Price of freedom is high: Ezra wages new battle for free speech | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is there a link that compares what Ezra stated - wrote that others wrote? He has made that a key point in that he is being harassed and abused by using the Judicial process.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I don't think Ezra has lost a case yet?

Glad someone out there is making sure that we maintain our freedom of expression!!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
By Alheli Picazo

Facts often prove a nuisance to those with an agenda to push or a narrative to sell. Just as those who peddle snake-oil rely on manufactured illness to hawk miracle cures, those who ply their trade in fear rely on ignorance to further an ideology.

I’ve long used social media as a means to combat misinformation, and it just so happens that one of my earliest fact-checks involved a media personality who wears his well-established history of “reckless disregard for the truth” as a point of pride.

In September 2010, ahead of the Sun News Network’s launch, future-host Ezra Levant penned an astonishingly libellous column for the Sun chain of papers accusing billionaire philanthropist George Soros of, among other things, having been a Nazi collaborator.

I combed through Levant’s column, countering each false assertion with documented facts, and soon learned my effort had made its way to Soros himself, who then notified Sun Media of his intent to sue for defamation.

A full retraction and apology was issued, noting there was “no basis for the statements in the column … Sun Media and Ezra Levant retract the statements made in the column and unreservedly apologize to Mr. Soros for the distress and harm this column may have caused him.”

I continued to follow Levant’s work - and that of his colleagues - after Sun News went to air, documenting mistruths, mocking hyperbolic absurdities, and when possible, pairing false reports with links to the facts.

Though I’d become somewhat of a thorn in Levant’s side, it was my possession of the only recording of his racist anti-Roma tirade after Sun News thought they’d effectively purged it from existence - a recording which aided in forcing him to, again, issue a grovelling apology - which cemented his disdain for me.

And perhaps explains why the self-described “fearless Rebel Commander” is so, utterly terrified of me.

When The Rebel, Levant’s online vanity project launched after Sun News’ demise, promoted an “EMERGENCY PUBLIC MEETING” regarding Alberta’s future under the “extremist” Notley regime - an event billed as “an independent, non-partisan meeting, open to the public for free” - I reserved a pair of seats.

After receiving a confirmation email from Amanda Achtman, Levant’s loyal apprentice who first served him at Ethical Oil before joining him at Sun News and now The Rebel, I was surprised to find another email, this one directly from Levant, notifying me of his personal intervention to cancel my reservation, claiming to be “concerned from your past conduct that you will be disruptive and profane.”

Knowing Levant’s assertions were fabricated, I requested evidence to support his allegations of my “past conduct” or “track-record” of being “disruptive and profane.”

I posted a screenshot of the exchange to twitter, and quickly received numerous invites to be another’s +1 for the Calgary event.

I sent a number of follow-up emails to both Levant and Achtman, requesting proof of the various allegations cited to justify cancelling my reservation, and specifically asked whether I’d be barred from entering if I attended as someone’s guest.

Despite repeated requests, neither opted to respond.

After being asked to write about the presentation, I took a right-leaning friend - a Levant fan - up on the ‘+1’ offer and agreed to meet at the Carriage House Inn, the town hall’s location, a half-hour before its scheduled start.

I arrived in good time, maneuvered my way through the steady-stream of attendees and proceeded to the check-in tables. Before I had a chance to confirm my attendance, however, I was whisked away by a pair men whom Levant hired, it seemed, to specifically watch for me and prevent my participation. When I asked for an explanation as to why I was disallowed from this “open to the public” forum, I was told it was open to everyone — except me.

Neither man could explain why, only that they were under strict orders to ensure I didn’t get in.

When Levant ventured out to greet people, he accidentally offered me a hearty “Hello, and welcome!” before recognition set in, after which he frantically turned-tail and rushed away, shouting that I was “not welcome here,” refusing to answer when I asked him to come back, face me, and explain why.

As I stood in the lobby he passed by twice more, perhaps hoping I’d pull a Levant and cause a scene, but I simply continued to request explanation, and he continued to remain silent as he hurried by.

It was the same with Achtman who bolted when she first saw me, later making a few extra passes, each time refusing to stop and answer my queries. I offered to leave once I received an explanation as to why I was barred, but was told by one of Levant’s hired henchmen that I’d get no explanation, and if I did not leave I’d be arrested.

Knowing I’d done nothing wrong, I offered to face arrest, to stay and wait for the police to sort things out. When the police arrived, they seemed completely baffled by the farce. According to his gatekeepers, Levant claimed I’d “long been banned” from the Carriage House Inn, though I’d never once before set foot there. He also alleged I had a “track-record” of disrupting his events - his guards even claimed there were pictures, though neither I nor the police were allowed to see them - and he had a documented history of my ejections — again, flat-out lies.

Once the police determined all the allegations Levant provided were false, they simply shrugged and said there were no grounds on which to arrest me, nor could they force me to leave. One officer suggested I could “make better use of the night in this beautiful weather” than wait on an explanation which likely wouldn’t come, and I agreed.

I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

Ezra Levant's Goons Threw Me Out of His "Open, Non-Partisan, Public" Meeting | CANADALAND

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
........ in the minds of the simple and gullible.

No, I think the simple and gullible are the ones that just turn off people because they don't like them, period.

I listen to Erza, and well as many Liberal commentators, like Bill Maher. You have to keep an open mind and listen to both sides.

I think Bill Maher Rules too.

So I'm going to say the simple and gullible one is you, for not keeping an open mind.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, I think the simple and gullible are the ones that just turn off people because they don't like them, period.

I listen to Erza, and well as many Liberal commentators, like Bill Maher. You have to keep an open mind and listen to both sides.

I think Bill Maher Rules too.

So I'm going to say the simple and gullible one is you, for not keeping an open mind.

and I would need to keep an open mind about this racist, whining pig for how many years?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Who, Bill Maher? Yes he is a whiner and a racist.

I've been reading ezra since the western standard. When the stupid fu ck got himself in trouble financially and had to shut it down, I lost any small amount of respect I had when I got an email from him soliciting funds to help him out of a mess of his own doing. This whiny little prick has repeatedly got himself in trouble with his "mouth in gear because I don't have the brain power to shut up" and then he expects others to bail him out. He is worse than any "whiny, privileged, hand out expected" left winger.

and you, Walter, show your complete lack of ability to think for yourself by defending him.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Ezra Levant offers good insight not often shown in the mainstream media, but you have to take what he says with a huge grain of salt. Even if you disagree with 90% of what he says, the 10% that you agree makes his perspective worthwhile because no one else in the media tackles the topics he does. Yes, he is ever the provocateur, but hey, it takes all kinds to make the world go around. Even a far left radical friend of mine was sharing Ezra Levant videos on Facebook last year because no one on the left would dare take on David Suzuki.