Tories to force TV providers to let consumers 'pick and choose' individual channels

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As it should be. Thank you Mr. Harper.

The federal government will unveil plans this week to force cable and satellite TV providers to offer consumers so-called pick-and-pay services, says a prominent cabinet minister.

The move will be part of a consumer-first agenda to be included by the Conservatives in this week’s speech from the throne.

Consumers are frustrated over being forced to buy large bundles of channels they don’t want when they sign up for satellite and cable TV services, says Industry Minister James Moore.

Companies such as Videotron in Quebec are already moving in the pick-and-pay direction, largely because consumers are shying away from traditional TV and are instead watching programming over the Internet.

As viewer habits evolve, there’s no reason why all television service providers can’t offer consumers the ability to pick and choose the channels they want, says Moore.

more

Tories to force TV providers to let consumers ‘pick and choose’ individual channels | National Post

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
More good legislation from the party that listens to the electorate instead of telling the electorate what they are going to get. This is why we will have a conservative government for some time to come.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Don't worry since the Conservative base are business people they will get rid of Harper like they got rid of Stockwell

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The advance word has it that the focus of the speech and the legislative agenda it ushers in will be the protection of consumers.
He had better start with protecting us from the Senate otherwise I don't care if he walks on water, I won't make the same mistake twice.

If this goes through I could go from 350 channels down to about 10 that I actually watch.