Dean Del Matro, Boss Harper's Secretary Get's Kicked Out Of Cacaus

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

I'd almost forgotten Dean Del Mastro, Boss Harper's parliamentary secretary, he's been away for so long.

All I can remember is that he was always blaming others for ethical lapses eh?

So I really can't wait to see how he handles this one.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I'd almost forgotten Dean Del Mastro, Boss Harper's parliamentary secretary, he's been away for so long.

All I can remember is that he was always blaming others for ethical lapses eh?

So I really can't wait to see how he handles this one.

The conservative party is too poor to afford proper Calculators , so they were forced to resort to the Old abacus. Unfortunately the Abacus beads get rather sticky and, hey, Unless you are Chinese an out of place bead is very easy to miss...

did I cover every thing, Tay?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I also hear abracadabra...poof, doesn't make things vanish like it used to.

It's stressful these days with things needing to be above board ya know.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Helena Guergis, Dean Del Mastro. A Tale of Two Tories.

The whole Guergis scandal is a bit fuzzy this far on but, as I recall, she was unceremoniously dumped from the Tory caucus against her will, on the mere suspicion of scandal, and once out was kept out even after it was obvious there was no wrongdoing on her part save for her choice of a spouse. She was exiled, right from the git go and for good.

The only thing surprising about what happened to Dean Del Mastro was how long it took for him to be charged and why he was allowed to stay on. The case was clear and it even came with a smoking gun - Del Mastro's own cheque.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Why didn't Boss Harper give Del Mastro 'The Full Guergis' treatment back when this scandal broke?

Why did he keep Del Mastro in a position of prominence in the Tory caucus when that cheque speaks for itself and speaks so loudly?

Dean Del Mastro’s surprise TV cameo does little to clear up Elections Canada probe

Dean Del Mastro’s unscheduled TV appearance does little to clear up Elections Canada probe | National Post

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
On Monday, Glen McGregor gave us an update on the case and it undermines Del Mastro's story.
Court documents made public this month show that Elections Canada investigators, with the help of the RCMP's Integrated Technical Crime Unit, uncovered emails from Del Mastro in an analysis of a laptop computer belonging to Hall.​
There's a hearing scheduled in a Peterborough court for Nov. 7 where, among other things, "the defence lawyer may receive the rest of the Crown's disclosure of evidence to support the allegations." He'll have some interesting reading, I'm sure.

more

Campaign capers: As Del Mastro's day in court approaches... - Peace, order and good government, eh?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The trial continues..........

Computer records introduced in court Friday show that key financial documents in the trail of Dean Del Mastro were created during the 2008 election campaign but dated months earlier, backing up the testimony of the key witness and posing a challenge for the MP’s defence.

Crown prosecutor Brendan Gluckman spent Friday slowly going through metadata with RCMP Cpl. David Connors, a computer forensic examiner, laboriously establishing the dates and times of the electronic documents drawn from the laptop of Frank Hall.

The records show that several campaign invoices and quotes were created by Hall in Microsoft Word in October 2008 although they were dated June 2008.

Hall, who was president of a now-defunct voter contact firm at the time, has testified that he backdated invoices for work his company did for Del Mastro’s 2008 election campaign at Del Mastro’s request, an allegation the defence challenged in cross examination.

But computer records show that one document Hall sent to the campaign, for instance, was created at 7:48 p.m. on Oct. 6, 2008, a week before the 2008 election. It was dated June 20, 2008.

Earlier in the trial, the Crown told Judge Lisa Cameron that a personal cheque for $21,000 that Del Mastro gave Hall was dated August 2011, but that banking records show his account didn’t have enough money to cover it until October.

The Crown alleges that Del Mastro and Richard McCarthy, his official agent from the 2008 campaign, backdated records to hide expenses incurred during the campaign.

Del Mastro and McCarthy are charged with exceeding the spending limit and filing an incorrect financial return. Del Mastro is also charged with exceeding the donation limit. They each face a maximum year in prison and $1,000 fine if convicted.

The Crown’s case hinges on three banker’s boxes full of documents, mostly computer records extracted from Hall’s laptop.

more

Invoices were backdated at MP Dean Del Mastro’s request, trial told | canada.com

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Dean Del Mastro legal fees subsidized by Canadian taxpayers

Riding association event raised nearly $40,000, generating about $24,000 in tax credits

Del Mastro, who was elected three times as a Conservative MP, stepped down from the caucus when he was charged in 2013 with breaking election spending rules. He resigned his seat in the House of Commons last week, a few days after he was found guilty of spending too much on his 2008 campaign, donating too much to himself and faking paperwork to cover it up. Del Mastro resigned the day that MPs were to vote on whether to eject him from the House.

Del Mastro's official agent, Richard McCarthy, was also found guilty of overspending and covering it up.

Del Mastro's sentencing hearing will be held in Lindsay, Ont., on Friday. He faces a maximum penalty of three years in jail and a $6,000 fine.

The head of the Conservative electoral district association, or EDA, in Peterborough told CBC News last week that a 2013 fundraiser headlined by Brian Mulroney was held to pay Del Mastro's legal fees.

"These were funds that were raised separately and essentially moved through the EDA. They were put into the EDA and moved straight back out again. So we did not provide any of our funds for Mr. Del Mastro's defence," Alan Wilson said.

Del Mastro was a Conservative MP at the time of the fundraiser, which collected $39,310 for his defence. Using a formula provided on the website of Elections Canada, CBC News calculated that was worth $23,851.13 in tax credits.

Asked about taxpayers subsidizing Del Mastro's defence, Wilson declined to comment to CBC News.

The riding association spent $43,806 on professional services in 2013, according to records filed with Elections Canada. That category includes legal fees.

Aaron Wudrick, the federal director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, says it doesn't make sense for political contributions to be subsidized to such an extent: up to 75 per cent for contributions under $400.

"Why is this more egregious than [how] taxpayers subsidize attack ads when parties turn them to use on each other?" Wudrick said. "So does this smell fishy? Yes, but then so do many of the other things that the money the political parties raise go towards."
Wudrick says political donations shouldn't be subsidized more than charitable contributions, calling it "perverse."

"You're basically saying that donating to political parties is more important than donating to charities that save people's lives," he said.
The association listed a total revenue of $76,490 for 2013, including $41,300 in contributions and $28,879 in "fundraising activities."

The Peterborough Examiner reported 120 people went to the May 2013 fundraiser, with a $600 ticket price.

more

Dean Del Mastro legal fees subsidized by Canadian taxpayers - Politics - CBC News