More CBC drivel against Saskatchewan and Alberta crude

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
from sda

Harper cabinet readies major B.C. pipelines push

A parade of cabinet ministers and senior bureaucrats will head to British Columbia starting next week as part of a major push to mollify opponents of building oil pipelines to the West Coast, CBC News has learned.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is signalling he intends to make progress on proposals to connect Alberta's oilsands with ports in British Columbia and the lucrative Asian markets beyond.

The new initiative is in large part a response to a report from the prime minister's special pipelines representative in British Columbia. Douglas Eyford told Harper last month that negotiations with First Nations — especially on Enbridge's proposed Northern Gateway — are a mess.

Eyford's report to the prime minister, and his final report in November, will not be made public.

But sources tell CBC News Eyford urged the federal government take the lead role in dealing with Indian bands on both the Gateway project and the proposed expansion of Kinder Morgan's Trans-Mountain pipeline.

more at the people's pony network

Harper cabinet readies major B.C. pipelines push - Politics - CBC News

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
He will face more trouble for the northern pipeline than from just the aboriginals. The majority of BCers are against it. The Feds have no business trying to force their agenda down our throats and that will be make adamantly clear.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
He will face more trouble for the northern pipeline than from just the aboriginals. The majority of BCers are against it. The Feds have no business trying to force their agenda down our throats and that will be make adamantly clear.

But it is the Feds business... They can push it through in the spirit of national interest.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
But it is the Feds business... They can push it through in the spirit of national interest.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Only in the south. The people I talk to from PG west are all in favour. Granted most of them are union construction workers or business people but whoever said the majority are against it have been very selective on who they ask.
Besides which it is of no concern to anyone living in Vancouver. They need to learn to keep their noses out of other peoples business.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't have much problem with the pipeline. It's navigating VLCC tankers up the Douglas Arm that's an issue for me. Prince Rupert or Vancouver make more sense. I'm also concerend with cutbacks to the environment and the gutting of environmental legislation. It takes more than slick commercials to convince us in BC. Plus the lack of action on global warming.,

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Exactly like the NEP... This time, the shoe is on the other foot it would seem
This time they have partners.

I ahve no problem with the pipeline. It's navigating VLCC tankers up the Douglas Arm that's an issue for me. Prince Rupert or Vancouver make more sense. I'm also concerend with cutbacks to the environment and the gutting of environmental legislation. It takes more than slick commercials to convince us in BC.
Bauxite and aluminum boats have been running in and out of there for decades. How many aluminum/bauxite boats sank leaving or coming?

What is worse? An oil tanker springing a leak or an LNG ship sinking and leaking?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Exactly like the NEP... This time, the shoe is on the other foot it would seem

The NEP didn't really work in the interests of the Liberal party in the long-term. I doubt ramming diluted bitumen tankers through in BC will help the Conservatives in the next election.

This time they have partners.

Bauxite and aluminum boats have been running in and out of there for decades. How many aluminum/bauxite boats sank leaving or coming?

Bauxite doesn't have the same environmental impact as diluted bitumen. Bauxite vessels are much smaller than the proposed tankers. I don't know about Bauxite accidents, but we had a loaded BC Ferry drive right into the side of an island in the area.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It doesn't? You want Alzheimer's fish and wildlife? How much smaller?

As usual, you're making rather silly arguments, and trying the old spaghetti argument (throw it all at the wall and see what sticks).

I'll stick with my point-of-view that there are better ports for large oil tankers, and, if the government was serious about its commitments, they wouldn't have gutted their environmental legislation.

B.C. worries oil spill would 'overwhelm' resources | CTV News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Then BC better get off it's *** and deal with that because it's BC not SK or AB making the port fees revenue.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't have much problem with the pipeline. It's navigating VLCC tankers up the Douglas Arm that's an issue for me. Prince Rupert or Vancouver make more sense. I'm also concerend with cutbacks to the environment and the gutting of environmental legislation. It takes more than slick commercials to convince us in BC. Plus the lack of action on global warming.,

It's DOuglas Channel, not Douglas Arm. Ever been there? I work up there and believe me there is lots of room for ships. As I have stated before my preference would be farther down the channel towards Millbank Sound but that would requite another 40 or so miles of pipe.The LNG plants are being built right now in Kitimat. Mostly I think because the infrastructure is already there.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Thursday, September 12, 2013 01:27 PM

Ft St James- RCMP say that commercial vehicles attached to resource extraction have been turned away by a blockade, on the Leo Creek Road , leading into Takla Lake.

Access was blocked to commercial activity, while recreational and general vehicles, have been allowed to pass the blockade which is in place north of Ft St James in the Tlazten area.

Police say they are looking into whether charges will be laid.

Road Blockades have already started