What to do about the new bully

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Imagine you were being bullied by three bullies, but then an even bigger bully moves in and starts picking on your original three bullies.

The three of them come to you and say, "You have to help us, this guy is bullying us!".

What would your reaction be?

As you may have heard Verizon has been rumoured to be coming to Canada, possibly by buying Wind Mobile.

This has caused the Big 3 to all of a sudden try to convince us that we are all one big family and we should fight tooth and nail against this.

Is Canada better off with a bigger American company threatening the Canadian incumbents? Not necessarily.

But do you think Canadians are jumping to defend Rogers/Bell/Telus?

Ummm no.

Most of us have had to deal with one of those three companies and it hasn't been pretty.

Whether it's we will be there in the AM and they show up a 5 pm or the expensive rates they charge.

I must admit I am getting some joy from them as they squirm.

Right now Rogers is putting the boots to TekSavvy in Ontario. TakSavvy bought blocks of bandwidth which runs off of Rogers cable (if you choose that route) and Rogers is slowing down the speed on TekSavvy so that you will drop them and switch to Rogers again.

I'm not sure what the big 3 mean when they say this (verizon entry) will come at Tax payers expense.

Of course they claim that Verizon can buy the smaller payers but they can't! Well, what if they could buy the smaller players like Rogers did with FIDO.

FIDO started out as a cheaper alternative like WIND but now advertises a rate of $65.00 a month for a cell phone.

Oh, and they don't mention that they have blocked Canadian companies like TING from even operating in Canada.

I will admit I'm not a fan of selling Canada off but my past experiences with Bell and Rogers leave me with little, if any, sympathy for them...............

TekSavvy - Cable

https://ting.com/rates

WIND Mobile | Unlimited Everything

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Harper was playing pure politics. If they wanted better access, pricing they could do that.
But they have no freaking idea of what to do.
From what I understand Quebec has the best laws on the books.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The odd thing about Verizon and the Big 3's reaction is that Verizon is not a discount carrier. Whether they would have continued WIND's discount pricing we will now never know because the word is they have pulled out of any interest in Canada.

Now will the big 3 let WIND and Mobilicity combine?

PS; I keep seeing and ad for Comwave. Any one use them?

Back in June US-based Verizon wireless was potentially interested in acquiring newer carriers WIND Mobile or Mobilicity. Frank Shammo, Verizon CFO, confirmed the company was considering the idea and stated “we’re looking at the opportunity. This is just us dipping our toe in the water.”

Now, a few months later the company announced plans today to acquire Vodafone’s 45% stake in its business for $130 billion, plus officially passed on coming to the Great White North.

Now we focus on possibly new entrant merger and the upcoming 700MHz spectrum auction in January 2014.