Why that little *&%$#^%$@&&^!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Harper plans to prorogue Parliament in September

By Bryn Weese, QMI Agency

WHITEHORSE - Prime Minister Stephen Harper will prorogue Parliament this fall and begin a new session in October.
But ignore the scuttlebutt in Ottawa, Harper says he isn't going anywhere and intends to lead the Conservatives through the 2015 election.
When asked Monday by a reporter whether he would stay on Harper said he was "disappointed" the reporter had to ask.
"The answer ... is, of course, yes," he said to loud applause from party supporters at an unrelated mining announcement here. "I'm actually disappointed you feel the need to ask that question."
Several bills will die on the order paper when Harper prorogues, including the Conservatives' own efforts to reform the Senate. This is the third time Harper has sought prorogation since 2006.
And the Opposition blasted the move, accusing him of trying to evade questions on Senators Pamela Wallin and Mike Duffy's expenses and his former chief-of-staff Nigel Wright, who gave a $90,000 cheque to Duffy to repay them.

"People aren't going to be fooled. This is clearly a desperate government worn out by ethical scandals and mismanagement," said Opposition Leader Thomas Mulcair in a statement. "The prime minister will shut down the work of the House of Commons ... because he will do almost anything to evade questions about a Senate scandal that reaches right into Mr. Harper's inner circle.
"Putting a padlock on the door of Parliament will not silence us. Mr. Harper can run but he cannot hide,"
On Sunday, Harper told party supporters the Conservatives had delivered on 84 of the 100 pledges he made in the 2011 election campaign, "and we're working on the rest," he said.
"We will obviously have still some unfulfilled commitments that we will continue to work on. The No. 1 priority for this government, I do not have to tell you, will continue to be jobs and the economy," Harper said Monday.
As to what legislation exactly Harper and the Conservatives would pursue in the next parliamentary session heading into the 2015 election, he responded: "Wait for the throne speech."
The House of Commons is scheduled to resume after the summer break Sept. 16.
The Conservatives also have a party convention planned for the end of October.

Harper plans to prorogue Parliament in September- Politics - Canoe.ca

Funny how this always seems to happen whenever **** just won't die down in the press.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Bacon, butter, poutine with extra gravy, bacon, butter, poutine with extra gravy, etc. by the looks of it.I bet with all that blubber on him pressing against his lungs, he has the lung capacity of a half liter.
you forgot burgers, pop, beer, yum, a cardiologist's delight

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The best of the worst?

You know, if they had an election tomorrow, I would make a really bad choice. Because I'm so fed up. I'm tired of them throwing our money away. I'm tired of being told one thing, them doing another, then telling me that actually did what they said they'd do when they didn't even come close. I'm tired of the political game playing. I'm just tired of it all.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You know, if they had an election tomorrow, I would make a really bad choice. Because I'm so fed up. I'm tired of them throwing our money away. I'm tired of being told one thing, them doing another, then telling me that actually did what they said they'd do when they didn't even come close. I'm tired of the political game playing. I'm just tired of it all.
so many are, yet on they go

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The best of the worst?

That is sort of where we are now. You goat admit Canada came through the financial meltdown in far better shape than the US. We could be doing even better if the lefties were not dead set against anything that creates high paying jobs outside of government.

Unfortunately changing the players won't change the game. Just a different bunch will be stealing from you. ANd it could be worse.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is sort of where we are now. You goat admit Canada came through the financial meltdown in far better shape than the US. We could be doing even better if the lefties were not dead set against anything that creates high paying jobs outside of government.

I definitely admit that Canada came through the financial crisis far better than many nations. But I don't think that justifies more of this prorogation bull ****.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Proroguing Parliament till October buys Harper and Tories time

Stephen Harper is hitting the reset button on Parliament, delaying a reopening of the Commons until October as he continues a pre-election overhaul of his government after nearly eight years in power.

The restart effectively gives Mr. Harper two high-profile opportunities in October to sell Canadian voters on the notion he is still the person to lead the country.

The first is a Speech from the Throne that will outline the government’s agenda for the last half of its current mandate. Mr. Harper will then rally supporters in late October during a Conservative Party convention, where he will work to rebuild relations with rank-and-file Tories disenchanted over the Senate expenses scandal.

Proroguing leaves the New Democrats and Liberals without the platform of Parliament to hammer the government over the issue for several weeks longer than expected.

The Prime Minister announced his fall plans during the second day of his annual summer tour of northern Canada, where he has tried since 2006 to build a political legacy of defending Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic and promoting resource development.
The Prime Minister is focusing this tour – his eighth – more on economic and social development of a region that struggles with unemployment and the challenge of creating durable jobs.

But even in the North, Mr. Harper continues to be dogged by questions about the Senate scandal. On Monday, he called for Senator Pamela Wallin to be made fully accountable for her actions after an audit showed she filed more than $120,000 in questionable claims.
Mr. Harper’s mid-term political reboot began with a major cabinet shuffle in July that moved new faces into his inner circle, and he is currently shaking up his staff in the Prime Minister’s Office, a development expected to bring back former aide and Harper loyalist Jenni Byrne.

The next step, as Mr. Harper announced Monday, will be proroguing Parliament before its scheduled return on Sept. 16, and reopening it in October. Sources say while the timing is not set in stone, the Commons is expected to return after Thanksgiving.
While Mr. Harper’s uses of prorogation when he governed with a minority were controversial, majority governments often employ the procedure to signal a new legislative agenda. New sittings begin with a Speech from the Throne.

Conservatives have privately said they are fighting complacency and malaise in their own ranks after improper expense claims by some Harper Senate appointees marred the government’s credibility on the Senate and its record in office. Even staunch Conservative MPs are concerned the government does not have more signature accomplishments to show for winning a majority two years ago.

Mr. Harper confirmed, in response to a question Monday, that he will run in an expected 2015 federal election.
“Of course, yes,” Mr. Harper said during a stop at a Whitehorse machine shop. “I’m actually disappointed you feel the need to ask that question,” he said, smiling as staff and supporters cheered him.

Mr. Harper said the priority for his government will continue to be jobs and the economy.

“We remain in a very difficult, fragile and competitive global marketplace, and we think there is much more to be done to secure Canada’s economic potential and economic future.”

Mr. Harper is already road-testing campaign themes to persuade Conservatives, and Canadian voters, his government has delivered on its promises.

He told Tory partisans in Whitehorse on Sunday that the party had fulfilled 84 of the more than 100 campaign pledges from 2011. It is clear a “promises-made, promises-kept” theme is emerging.

Mr. Harper is quick to contrast this with the record of rival Justin Trudeau, taking a swipe at the Liberal Leader’s pledge to legalize marijuana by suggesting it is the only idea his opponent has put forward.

But while the Prime Minister is putting a fresh coat of paint on his government, the overriding political imperative in Ottawa for the next two years is balancing the budget. The Conservatives are determined to retire the deficit by 2015 – barring a sudden and drastic drop in economic fortunes.

Mr. Harper promised to eliminate the deficit in the last campaign, and his strategy for the next election is predicated on a balanced budget. The Conservatives want to deliver on pricey promises such as income-tax splitting that should form the core of their next election platform, but are contingent upon surplus cash in federal coffers.

All signs suggest the Conservative Throne Speech will focus on the unfinished business of economic reforms that have become a mainstay for a government with little money to spend but a desire to make Canada more competitive. It should wrap together labour market changes to attract skilled foreigners faster, find more jobs for aboriginals, close loopholes that allow too many temporary overseas workers, and enact the new job skills grant announced in the 2013 budget.

Hmmm 6 hours and this never made it on the boards? That's odd.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Re: Proroguing Parliament till October buys Harper and Tories time

Doesnt really bother me at all. I was never against the practice of prorogation, just the way it was used before. He had used it to avoid a confidence vote. This time he is using it for pretty normal reasons which every PM does at some point. I don't understand why so many people in the comment sections are freaking out over this.