Provincial Status for Vancouver Island?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Duo wants Vancouver island to be declared its own province

By Robert Barron, Daily News July 5, 2013

Laurie Gourlay wants Vancouver Island to be its own province by 2021, the 150th anniversary of British Columbia's confederation with Canada.

Gourlay, president of the Mid Island Sustainability and Stewardship Initiative, and colleague Scott Akenhead have begun an online petition to gather as many names as possible in support of their initiative which will be handed to both the provincial and federal governments.

Gourlay said the duo are not "casting aspersions" against the province of B.C. in their efforts to create a new province on the Island.

He said the Island is facing growing challenges and opportunities in the future and, with its representatives making up just 15 per cent of the province's legislature, its time to consider establishing a separate provincial government for Vancouver Island that would be dedicated to its concerns and issues 100 per cent of the time.

Gourlay said creating a new province on the Island is a "natural step" and noted that provincial status is presently being considered for the Northwest Territories as its population and issues grow.

"We're not claiming to have all the answers and we want to start a dialogue with Islanders to discuss the issue," he said.

"We have all the assets, skills and resources to manage our own affairs. We have some unique challenges ahead that we feel would be best addressed by Islanders in partnership with B.C. and Canada."

Gourlay said the petition, which can be found at The Province of Vancouver Island, is just one of the means by which he and Akenhead hope to move forward with their initiative.

He said he hopes to organize a series of conferences to discuss the Island's future and intends to approach universities, chambers of commerce and other institutions to co-host them.

Gourlay said letters have already been sent to both the provincial and federal governments pitching the idea.

"We haven't heard from Ottawa yet but we did receive a polite letter from Christy Clark's office stating the letter had been received and it is under consideration," Gourlay said.

RBarron@nanaimodailynews.com 250-729-4234

Duo wants vancouver island to be declared its own province

A friend of mine brought this to my attention yesterday knowing that I pay little attention to the news. I think it is a splendid idea. They can take Vancouver and the outer islands too. Then then BC can move the capital and the legislature to Prince George where it should have been all along. ;-)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The petitioners seem to be environmentalists. I'm not interested, unless they have a plan to reduce ferry costs.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ha ha! Take it away. You guys have clear cut the entire island and we should have cut Victoria lose a long time ago. Besides, the island is over due to sink into the sea. No great lose for the mainland.