Anti-Keystone pipeline ad is a low blow to Canada

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CALGARY • An anti-Keystone XL pipeline commercial funded by President Barack Obama supporter and hedge-fund billionaire Tom Steyer confirms what many Canadians have long suspected — American anti-oil activists have gone mad.

The commercial was intended to be aired Tuesday evening on WRC-TV, an affiliate of NBC in Washington, D.C., to coincide with the president’s appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
The commercial is so offensive the station refused to air it. While intended as a parody, it insults TransCanada Corp. CEO Russ Girling, whose company is proposing Keystone XL; it’s a low blow to Canada; and it shows the anti-Keystone campaign is in desperate need of adult supervision.

“It is evident from the bizarre advertorial’s contempt for the truth that its sponsor wishes to mislead the public, ridicule and demonize the project and tarnish Canada’s strong environmental record,” Canada’s Natural Resources Minister, Joe Oliver, said in an email. “This is unfortunate since the project would enhance North America’s energy security, create jobs and contribute to environmental stewardship on both sides of the border.”

more

Why the latest anti-Keystone pipeline ad is a low blow to Canada | Financial Post

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"tarnish Canada’s strong environmental record" - Canada’s Natural Resources Minister, Joe Oliver

I doubt that anybody could tarnish Canada's environmental record worse than the Harpo government. What a putz.
Contribute to environmental stewardship. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee at the time. I would have blown it out my nose. Who does he think he's fooling?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
an interview with Tom Steyer

Q. The jobs thing is a double-edged sword for the climate community. Green jobs were touted in the first term, and the reality is, it’s not an immediate thing.

A. Well, I think the stimulus over-promised and under-delivered. But the fact of the matter is, this will be an enormous jobs creator. Enormous. Just redoing all the buildings — that’s a ton of construction. That’s a couple million construction jobs. You know, we’re not going to jump to getting rid of fossil fuels in a day and if we had to rebuild the pipes for natural gas, that’s a ton of jobs. There are a lot of American jobs here.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
"tarnish Canada’s strong environmental record" - Canada’s Natural Resources Minister, Joe Oliver

I doubt that anybody could tarnish Canada's environmental record worse than the Harpo government. What a putz.
Contribute to environmental stewardship. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee at the time. I would have blown it out my nose. Who does he think he's fooling?

Yeah, that's the part that made me laugh too.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I know that there's an old launch/aerospace facility out there with all of the facilities in tact (relatively) with solid rail infrastructure in place... I'll wager that there are port facilities as well

SOLID AS what? The rail line needs a full rebuild. HBR means " Hilly Billy Rail" lately.:smile:

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Pulling the commercial probably got it more attention than airing it. I'm sure I never would have heard about it otherwise.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Petros is right, but I would question the need for a rebuild, CN uses it too.

Actually it is a short line. CN cars may travel on it. You are, perhaps, thinking of VIA rail. HBR locomotives and crews.
The Via ride now is , well, 'bumpy and slow'.

Churchill is no good. The AGW skeptcis assure us there is an ice age coming fast. :lol:

Yep. Next November , fer sure!

Petros is right, but I would question the need for a rebuild, CN uses it too.