Analysis: Homeless veterans a concern across Canada

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Analysis: Homeless veterans a concern across Canada
By Simon Kent, QMI Agency

Bad news travels fast. Always has, always will.
On Wednesday, QMI Agency exclusively revealed a single sad but startling fact.
Buried deep within the detail of the city of Toronto’s 2013 interim report on homelessness was the revelation that around 16% of those living rough on the streets of Canada’s biggest city said they had served in the military.
A spokesman for Julian Fantino, the minister of veterans affairs, was quick to tell us the federal government has a national pilot project seeking former service personnel living on the street.
Now Peter Stoffer MP, opposition critic for veterans affairs, has added his voice to the fray. He wants action and he wants it now.
“This is a problem that concerns all of Canada,” Stoffer told QMI Agency, “and to tell you the truth I was shocked when I read that Sun story. We know there are vets in real trouble everywhere from Vancouver to Toronto and on to the Atlantic coastline but a figure of 16% is just startling. It is also shaming.

“I know personally of one instance recently in Nova Scotia where four vets were found living together beneath a bridge.”
“I think that is not good enough for a caring country. Too many veterans seem unaware of the safety net available to them and I call on this government to work with all parties to get our vets to the help they have earned by their service.”
Stoffer points out that for too long homelessness has been seen as a municipal or even provincial problem. In the case of vets it is truly a national concern that should bring in multiple agencies with the skills to find those most in need.
“Even better would be getting to people before they leave and preparing them for their future life as a civilian,” Stoffer said. “I always say that nobody ever left the military homeless - they always have somewhere to go from the first day.
“It’s what happens later that should concern us all.”
Dave Gordon agrees. This vet is executive director of the Royal Canadian Legion (RCL)- Ontario Command and he has stories of his own about veteran homelessness that are just heartbreaking.
“In the past we have helped a 90-year-old vet into accommodation and care and at the moment we are working with a female vet living in her car and in desperate need of assistance.
“We now have the Homeless Veterans program ‘Operation Leave the Streets Behind’ being operated by the RCL in partnership with VAC.
“We started it as a pilot project in Toronto, in November, 2010 and have expanded the program across Canada. To date we have housed 65 veterans both male and female in Ontario and have assisted some 140 throughout the province.
With assistance from the Homeless Veterans Assistance Fund, Dave Gordon and his colleagues have worked to permanently house veterans with assistance for their first/last month’s rent, furniture and food vouchers.
Rental assistance has also been provided to those facing eviction. Medical help has been given to others such as dental treatments, transportation to stress therapy clinics, eyeglasses and much more.
Veterans’ helping other veterans at the local level is one thing, but Peter Stoffer wants a national coordinated approach developed from the top down.
“It will require work because of the various agencies involved, but it is a start. Ottawa can bring leadership and bureaucratic muscle to this and the sooner we start the better.”
Do you know a homeless vet who needs help?
Contact 1-866-522-2122 (English) or 1-866-522-2022 (French) so that emergency funding and a certified case manager can be assigned.

Analysis: Homeless veterans a concern across Canada - Canada - Canoe.ca

As each year progresses we continue to fail our veterans at an alarming rate. It's shameful.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The government regardless of whether it be Liberal or Conservative have always
screwed the vets at the first opportunity. I remember dad had problems with the
veterans affairs from time to time. This guy was on the front lines in Africa, Italy,
France, Holland and Germany and was wounded more than once.
Some silly *** in Ottawa or somewhere would try to play with the file when they
could. Dad always stood up and when he got old. Things got tougher for the
Veterans Affairs Department. My wife worked for the Federal Government for
nearly thirty years. She knew the language and the procedures and the way
these people operated. It was actually fun to watch a couple of times.
Government has to understand, they don't owe the vets anything on paper they
volunteered to stand up for Canada. Now that they are in trouble we should not
need a piece of paper to force any Government to do the right thing its really
that simple. If this is happening, we the citizens should hang our head in shame
and then demand better from our elected officials.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Where are the vets on this forum? Where is their outrage?

This is not a new topic, and if you had been paying attention you would remember that, RCS, Bear, and Goober, at least, have all voiced their displeasure with the present and passed governments with their treatment of Canadian vets.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is not a new topic, and if you had been paying attention you would remember that, RCS, Bear, and Goober, at least, have all voiced their displeasure with the present and passed governments with their treatment of Canadian vets.
I have been paying attention. I was just surprised none has been on this thread.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In a forum called Canadian Content, Canadians prefer to mind American's business and to criticize what goes on here rather than fix problems up there. It's a good way to deflect criticism of the present government and to keep everybody's attention away from possible solutions to those problems.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In a forum called Canadian Content, Canadians prefer to mind American's business and to criticize what goes on here rather than fix problems up there. It's a good way to deflect criticism of the present government and to keep everybody's attention away from possible solutions to those problems.

You didn't answer my question.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Once I pointed out the subject you replied as did others. Now address the OP.

I asked YOU, why YOU have to bring obama into every thread. It was YOU and YOU alone that brought obama into a Canadian thread, into THIS thread. I had already posted in this thread with any mention of the united sl uts of america. Why is it you have to drag your war mongering country and whorish president into this thread?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The Spastics blame Obama for everything under the sun, I can see why he razzes them about it.

You know what? I call B.S. on that excuse. Because if some other idiot hasn't dragged Obama into the freaking thread, (and there happen to be many, many, many threads where he is not mentioned at all despite the supposed fact that we Canadians spend so much of our freaking time obsessing over what idiot might be sitting in the damned White House) then Gopher will make damn sure that it gets dragged in.

He starts just as much of the OT bullcrap as he "razzes others about". It's attention seeking behaviour, period.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Where are the vets on this forum? Where is their outrage?

Yo!

I'm positively OUTRAGED that there seem to be, according to the article, many veterans' services that vets just don't know about. So maybe y'all should start with working on how to make vets aware of what's available to them, then see what effect that has.

Naaaah, just kidding. What y'all need is a couple billion dollars worth of new programs. If it runs like it does down here, five, hell maybe even six, percent of the expenditures will actually go to shelter, feed, and care for vets.

By the way, why are vets as a class more deserving of government help than other folk in need? Wounded vets I can see. Maybe even combat vets. By why should a chaplain's clerk who spent three years at an Army post in Saskatchewan have any kind of preference over, say, a Newfie fisherman who's seen his way of life destroyed by the fish depletion?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You know what? I call B.S. on that excuse. Because if some other idiot hasn't dragged Obama into the freaking thread, (and there happen to be many, many, many threads where he is not mentioned at all despite the supposed fact that we Canadians spend so much of our freaking time obsessing over what idiot might be sitting in the damned White House) then Gopher will make damn sure that it gets dragged in.

He starts just as much of the OT bullcrap as he "razzes others about". It's attention seeking behaviour, period.
It's several to one. He has to put in the extra effort.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's several to one. He has to put in the extra effort.

Trolling is trolling is trolling. Which, by the way, everyone does to some degree, in some way, shape or form. At least own up to the behaviour, don't try to justify it after the fact with some post-rationalized b.s. Odds are if someone does that, it'll come off as arrogant and condescending.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The government history of ensure our Vets are treated properly is, overall, disgusting. My brother is a Vet and had to get a medical discharge due to an injury suffered while in the military. He has had to fight like hell to get the services he needs. He's finally received the assistance he needed and, more recently, was given a scooter so he can get around, especially since his driver's license was taken away due to his "medical condition". Now he's not homebound anymore which, in turn, lessens the depression he suffers due to his medical condition.

Why he had to fight so long and so hard is beyond me. Oh, I know - it was because they said his medical condition was "in his head" - that's right - despite many medical reports that stated otherwise. (He would be on the floor of his office, writhing in pain, just for the hell of it I guess).

And that's the issue - you HAVE to fight them and if you don't or can't, you're screwed. He had the wherewithal to do so. The whole issue is unconscionable and Canadians should not stand for it! Yeah, where is the outrage??

JMO

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The WW2 vets were well looked after but it's been down hill since those days.

I heard a spokesman by the name of Michael Blais today and he volunteers for a group trying to get the same benefits for Afghan and anywhere else our military goes) as the WW2 vets got, particullarly the wounded.

He menioned that the Harper Cons changed their benefits in 2006.

Blais has been promised a meeting Oct 1 with Fantino to deal with this.

You can make a difference by merely copying this letter and forwarding it to your MP, by calling him/her up, by printing it off and engaging him/her over the summer bbq period. Your voice, your concern for Canada's sons and daughters who have borne the consequences of war/peace, your commitment to the spirit of this nation and all that we stand for can and will make a difference.

Canadian Veterans Advocacy - Harmonization ? New Veterans Charter - Pension Act