Justin Trudeau urges pot legalization at B.C. rally

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Justin Trudeau urges pot legalization at B.C. rally

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has done an about-face on his stance on marijuana, saying legalizing the drug could protect Canadian children.

Trudeau, who has already called for the drug to be decriminalized, told a Kelowna, B.C., rally he is now in support of marijuana being fully legalized.

He told a crowd Sunday: “I'm not in favour of decriminalizing cannabis, I’m in favour of legalizing it. Tax it, regulate.”

“It’s one of the only ways to keep it out of the hands of our kids because the current war on drugs, the current model is not working. We have to use evidence and science to make sure we’re moving forward on that.”

Trudeau’s comments, posted in a YouTube clip, go beyond what his party has said about the issue of drug legalization.

So far there’s no word on whether the Liberal Party will change its platform on the issue.

Justin Trudeau urges pot legalization at B.C. rally | CTV British Columbia News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Funny. He's going after the gravy before the meat n spuds. I mean BC is likely the pot capital of Canada, if not North America. IMO, he should convince us BCers that he can work on more important issues.

BCers care about more important issues? ;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Pot is the biggest industry in BC. It is an important issue, but I disagree with legalization. Decriminalization would be a better first step. Legalization would put the industry in the hands of government friendly industrialist, quality would drop and a black market would still exist. People just do not want government regulated pot. As we have seen with the medical pot, it is of so bad quality, that people still need to go to street venders to get medical quality pot. The reason pot is such a major industry in BC is because growers have spent the time to grow a quality product. If they must legalize it, at least license those who already know what they are doing.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
yeah, I read that. But, um, scuse me, there Just insensible, our BC kids keep managing to get their fun-loving little mitts on booze and it's legal and regulated.

Pot is the biggest industry in BC. It is an important issue, but I disagree with legalization. Decriminalization would be a better first step. Legalization would put the industry in the hands of government friendly industrialist, quality would drop and a black market would still exist. People just do not want government regulated pot. As we have seen with the medical pot, it is of so bad quality, that people still need to go to street venders to get medical quality pot. The reason pot is such a major industry in BC is because growers have spent the time to grow a quality product. If they must legalize it, at least license those who already know what they are doing.
I agree.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
yeah, I read that. But, um, scuse me, there Just insensible, our BC kids keep managing to get their fun-loving little mitts on booze and it's legal and regulated.

I agree.
A chopper just flew over my cabin. First thing that popped in my head is that if he is looking for a grow show, he is out of luck.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I dont quite agree with his reason but I agree with the idea. When I was in high school drugs were far easier to get than alcohol so there might be something to this seemingly odd idea.

Funny. He's going after the gravy before the meat n spuds. I mean BC is likely the pot capital of Canada, if not North America. IMO, he should convince us BCers that he can work on more important issues.

He has a few years to do that. Right now he's probably just trying to make sure the younger folks come out. If this doesnt do it, I doubt anything will.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Decriminalize and take the profit out of it. Why is that so hard for lawmakers to understand - unless living off the avails of rip-off in other manners is so constitutional

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Mulcair commentary on this while at Elliot Lake earlier this week..

Liberal Party of Canada leader Justin Trudeau sparked heated debates across the country last week when he came out in favour of legalizing marijuana.

Mulcair isn’t as high as Trudeau on legal pot, but the NDP leader does feel the current laws are overly harsh.

“I don’t think anyone should go to jail for using marijuana,” said Muclair.

“But we also think we shouldn’t put the cart before the horse.”

While stressing the importance of looking at the product available on the current market, Mulcair said social and heath concerns need to be investigated before any laws are altered.

“What we smoked when I was younger is orgeno compared to what’s on the market today,” said Mulcair, when asked if he’s ever smoked marijuana.

“Yes to the decriminalization of marijuana, but before we go beyond that we need to find out all the facts.”

http://www.elliotlakestandard.ca/2013/08/01/ndp-leader-takes-listening-tour-to-elliot-lake

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Mulcair commentary on this while at Elliot Lake earlier this week..

Liberal Party of Canada leader Justin Trudeau sparked heated debates across the country last week when he came out in favour of legalizing marijuana.

Mulcair isn’t as high as Trudeau on legal pot, but the NDP leader does feel the current laws are overly harsh.

“I don’t think anyone should go to jail for using marijuana,” said Muclair.

“But we also think we shouldn’t put the cart before the horse.”

While stressing the importance of looking at the product available on the current market, Mulcair said social and heath concerns need to be investigated before any laws are altered.

“What we smoked when I was younger is orgeno compared to what’s on the market today,” said Mulcair, when asked if he’s ever smoked marijuana.

“Yes to the decriminalization of marijuana, but before we go beyond that we need to find out all the facts.”

NDP leader takes listening tour to Elliot Lake | Elliot Lake Standard

Slight change from his predecessor.

NDP LEADER JACK LAYTON ON POT: YES I INHALED; CANADA SHOULD TAKE MARIJUANA OUT OF CRIMINAL CODE (a.k.a. LEGALIZATION) - YouTube

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

LOL more here.. PhotoHost.us : Free Image Hosting : upload image