Minor incident overblown by Lizzie May on Twitter

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A minor incident in Sarnia's CN Rail yard recently was greatly exaggerated by a tweet from national Green Party leader Elizabeth May over the weekend, says a miffed Mayor Mike Bradley.

He sent out a curt email response to May when it became clear that she had taken a phone call from “a source” at face value and had tweeted Saturday that Sarnia was the scene of a 20-car derailment.
“Very disappointed with your tweeting a rumour...,” Bradley's email said.

CN Rail reported that a set of wheels derailed on a single empty tank car during a slow moving yard operation in the Sarnia yard around 3 p.m. Friday. There were no injuries and no impact on operations.
However, May – who has more than 68,000 followers on her Twitter account – tweeted: “Why is no one reporting the train derailment in Sarnia yesterday? My sources say 20 cars jumped the track.”

Given the potential significance of an incident that large and the recent train tragedy in Lac Megantic Quebec, Bradley said the national media were quick to react to May's erroneous tweet and he fielded numerous reporters' calls Saturday.

“Because she is the leader of a political party, she gives it credibility,” he said. “When she sent out that tweet, it got all the media in a frenzy. There should be a correction out from her office by now.”

When contacted by The Observer Monday, May's chief of staff Deborah Eindiguer said the Green Party leader had acted on the word of a single source who she would not name.

“The source is not willing to go public,” Eindiguer said. She said May did not attempt to contact CN before she tweeted about the incident in the rail company's yard.

drama

Mayor blames Green Party for spreading rumours | Local | News | Sarnia Observer

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Re: Minor incident overblown ny Lizzie May on Twitter

Even if 20 cars had 'jumped the track', the issue isn't the number, or the derailment, the issue would 'how far' they jumped the track. I really don't want news coverage of every derailment. I want news coverage of ones that are problems.

That being said 'someone made a mistake on the internet' isn't anymore newsworthy in my books than a minor train derailment. Just sayin'

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

One yesterday that blocked a road in Chelmsford was a problem for some folks there. Scratched the asphalt....

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

It is when the sloppy blabber mouth attention-seekers are American-born bucktoothed MP's. :lol:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

:lol:
It is when the sloppy blabber mouth attention-seekers are American-born bucktoothed MP's.

so the whole point of your latest trivia article was another attempt to sound off against some woman's appearance that you don't approve of?
You will go far in Harper 's PMO , laddie...Until the crash of 2015, anyway...:lol:

Even if 20 cars had 'jumped the track', the issue isn't the number, or the derailment, the issue would 'how far' they jumped the track. I really don't want news coverage of every derailment. I want news coverage of ones that are problems.

That being said 'someone made a mistake on the internet' isn't anymore newsworthy in my books than a minor train derailment. Just sayin'

File the whole story under ' more stupid misogynistic gossip'. a certain topic starter seems to be cornering the market in ballyhoo...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

The real question I have is why does any credible news source use twitter as a source? When they do, I find them less then credible.

And why does anybody assume Elizabeth May knows anything? What has she ever done to give anybody that idea?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Sideswipes HAPPEN IN Switching YARDS ALL THE TIME_ INTHE 1970'S I SAW A LOT OF ( and repaired) the damaged tankers.

However, the 'truck' derailed , not 'a set of Wheels' and the tanker took swipe damage. Either someone ran a closed switch, or the frog was defective.
Moving right along...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

:lol:

so the whole point of your latest trivia article was another attempt to sound off against some woman's appearance that you don't approve of?
You will go far in Harper 's PMO , laddie...Until the crash of 2015, anyway...:lol:

File the whole story under ' more stupid misogynistic gossip'. a certain topic starter seems to be cornering the market in ballyhoo...

Face it, she's hideous.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Statists; so lame.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I would like to know how a CN train in a blinding snowstorm, rail / road crossing in West Edmonton ended up killing a father and 2 children. Why do we never see the results of such a horrific incident.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

A minor incident in Sarnia's CN Rail yard recently was greatly exaggerated by a tweet from national Green Party leader Elizabeth May over the weekend, says a miffed Mayor Mike Bradley.

Mayor blames Green Party for spreading rumours | Local | News | Sarnia Observer

Don't women tend to do that? -:)

The real question I have is why does any credible news source use twitter as a source? When they do, I find them less then credible.

And why does anybody assume Elizabeth May knows anything? What has she ever done to give anybody that idea?

But what politician does?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Took her 2 days to 'follow up' her Twitter feed.

Follow up on Sarnia. It appears it was a minor incident. Local officials investigated.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Double Snort. You are blowing up a rail yard incident. Obviously- a 'railroad moron' sounding off...

Exactly 'who' blew this entire episode out of proportion here?

Lizzy May is supposed to be a responsible Member of Parliament; instead, she has proven that she's nothing more than a high-school gossip monger